I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Here's a cute little 103# pre-WWII Kohlswa I picked up for a portable anvil.

103# Kohlswa.png

I like that stand you made for that. I need to make something more portable than my 4 railroad ties bolted together to take to events :P Is there a third board behind the two with the handle hole cut into it to keep it all together? 

Hmmm... I can't  seem to post my anvils.... Keeps saying forbidden... Is there a post count you have to have before you can add pictures?  

Edited by Twilight Fenrir

Hello, new to the site, but been blacksmithing for about a year now... 

I started with a 200lb Vulcan someone welded a plate of stainless steel on top of. (they actually did a good job.... Mostly.... It was either forge welded on, or silver soldered.... The latter being most likely on cast iron) They filled in some chips before putting the new top on, but not ALL the chips, and the plate collapsed in those areas of course. I've been very annoyed working around the dent in my anvil top, so been looking ever since for a better one.  But, I got it for $200 and it has been workable. 

IMG_20140602_203258_zpsae47323e.jpg

Trying to post my new anvi. Still getting errors. Will keep at it. 

That cube with the barrel drifts on top looks like it might make a pretty good anvil.

That's destined to be a swage block or two. It is a jaw from those giant scrap-cutting crab claws that are attached to excavators. The thing is so hard it rings if you look at it funny :P 

The other day, I called in sick to work to go check out a yardsale that said on CL it had a 'large anvil and blacksmith tools'. I went expecting to be disappointed with a small anvil, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was at least 250 lbs, possibly up to 300. They were asking $400 for it, a good price to be sure, but it would require a good deal of repair to be usable. I offered them $300 for it, to which they agreed, and threw in the 5 pairs of tongs they had with it. 

While I was writing the check I found out I was actually related to them in a complicated way, and the anvil was owned by my distant relatives business since at least the 1920s! It saw heavy use in a marina repair shop. And it shows it. One of the edges is badly chipped. And the top is dished. Plus, someone took a cutting torch to the underside of the horn for some inexplicable reason. I'm going to team up with the master blacksmith from whom I apprentice and do all the welding needed to make it usable. Should be a great anvil with another 100 years in it. 

Not sure of the make, the flats on the feet scream Peter Wright. But I don't see a seam between the face and body like I do on every other Wright anvil I've seen. Leading me to believe it is cast steel. Something Peter Wright never made to the best of my research. I don't see any markings, but I haven't wire wheeled the sides yet.  Anyone have any insights? 

IMG_20150807_105227_zpsghnbvvn4.jpg

IMG_20150807_184442_zpsfxt8aa2e.jpg

IMG_20150807_184634_zpspzoz8knj.jpg

IMG_20150807_184737_zpsmzmwwnf0.jpg

I already cleaned up the horn.. 

IMG_20150808_081607_zpsprnhhfw9.jpg

Looks like I finally get to post the pics of the 96# HB I got a couple of weeks ago. This is the roughest anvil I have. Picked it up for $100 from a guy who had it given to him after helping an 82 year old gentleman clean out his hanger. He had stopped to help him as it was a hot muggy day, so this proves that good deeds can be fruitful. The top is pretty dented, but not that deep - more rounded dents. Most of the markings are pretty well wiped out, the serial number appears to be in the 312,101 without a prefix letter.  It still has some life in it, so I may try it out on a project or two, to see how it does. I lie even numbers, so angel number 8 here makes my world in tune. Well, until number 9 crosses my path :P

IMG_20150801_163912.jpg

IMG_20150801_164739.jpg

IMG_20150801_164134.jpg

Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR

I like that stand you made for that. I need to make something more portable than my 4 railroad ties bolted together to take to events :P Is there a third board behind the two with the handle hole cut into it to keep it all together? 

All of the sides are 2X12 pressure treated lumber.  The front and back are edge glued with West Systems epoxy, VERY STRONG!  No board behind the two with the handle hole.

All of the sides are 2X12 pressure treated lumber.  The front and back are edge glued with West Systems epoxy, VERY STRONG!  No board behind the two with the handle hole.

I see, thanks for the answer! I'm definitely gonna have to make one of those for the Fur Trader rendezvous I go to.

It's been refined, and upgraded pretty heavily by now, but this is what my anvil stand looked like when I first made it. It's been chopped down to suit my larger anvil, I added a bunch of hammer/hardie loops to tuck my tools into, and the rope has been replaced with hemp rope. Still, the thing weighs almost as much as the 200 lb anvil that sits on it. (The rope doesn't actually do anything but make it look interesting. It's held together with 8 pieces of threaded rod running through it.) That's a little 130 lb Peter Wright I had loaned to me when I was first getting started. Actually, the forge was a loaner too... haha, the only thing that is still the same in my shop is the cart my forge is on XD It's amazing how much my work space has evolved in one short year...

IMG_20140425_180616_zps30690bd7.jpg

So i guess i am addicted now, i have 3 anvils (the one below the broken one is my H.Boker). I feel like i need to rescue them like this one. I think i can still use the horn and top for the rougher work. I have no idea the make of it so if anyone knows. I think i can make out a DU on it. It has small holes on both sides.

20591154536_53d89ce201.jpg

19996527303_52031df6a1.jpg

20591156186_efbd1fdc56.jpg

20617407755_2a7bba4ddb.jpg

Edited by CIRON

I can see remnants of QUEEN DUDLEY which would make it a wilkinson. You can see a little of the crossed ovals. The 2 holes were probably an attempt to reattach the heel. Probably from the first half of the 1800s. Looks in pretty good shape, maybe it broke early and didnt see heavy use. The stone weight markings are on the other side.

you can put some wheels on that plywood. I bet you moved it near the bed before going to sleep. at least you had the envy to do that. I'm lucky that my last one weights only 31 kg :). I use it as feet rest under my computer desk, I take it out to have it in my sight when I go to bed... just because is a bit difficult to have it under my pillow...

Very nice American Wrought 130# I just bought at the urging of the forum goers.  Serial number appears to be 831  Scrubbed down the sides with a wire brush and gave it a coating of linseed (this was 'fore I saw the recipe for linseed/turp/wax).  I just gotta build up a forge for myself and get her working face cleaned off....by working.

IMG_0411.thumb.JPG.03de8feed3871cb68c9cb

Thanks Guys for the info, Now that you mention it Frozenforge I can see the Q  EN   on the first line and DU    Y on second. I will have to take a closer look now that i know what to look for.

It's a 180# Arm & Hammer, 220# cast iron stand. Bought for $250 from the widow of the man shown. Originally I was just helping her sell it. Suggested $1000 for the pair and she sold it to me for $250 because she said she wanted it to go to someone who would love it like her husband did.