I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

I already posted pics of this anvil but here it is "fully dressed". Made this one year to poke fun at a friend who was coming to my shop for a hammer-in. He came to blacksmithing after starting out doing cold armor work. Told him he needed two responsible parties present to unlock the shield before he could work. Didn't want him beating up the anvil on COLD iron :D There were a bunch of people here and we really had a good time with it.

P1010318.JPG P10103191.JPG

Wow piglet.... that's a good hunk o track!! If you were so inclined, you could do some shaping and get a tonne of contours with that thing...

On a side note...... Someone told me of a friend of a guy's friend's brother that this other guy knew:p ....... who coated the sides of his track anvil with spay insulation to deaden the ring...... hmmmmmm.;)

Yer killin me Steve! :o

Actually makes me wish I lived close enough to attend your meetings and events.

Spray insulation to deaden the ring eh, Speaker For Da Mice?

Hmmmmm indeed. I don't know how foam would like hot iron on it but a little RinoLiner might be just the thing.

Again, Hmmmmm.

Frosty

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

new toy, will clean tomaro with a brush on a angle grinder, cant find a name on it yet, looks alot like a peter wright to me, the shape, and the little clifts on the feet, but not sure if it is. also not positive if its cast of forged, cant find any forging marks, but not really any cast marks eather. ill do a little spark test tomaro near the broken area to see if its wrought with a steel face or all cast steel, its a monster to me, was told it was 470, looks to be right, probaly was 500 but after the heel was broken at the hardy 30 was lost. 16in tall, 6in wide face. sure beats the pants off my old 140lb
Do i need a 470lb anvil, no but i sure am happy i found one after lookin for a few years
Maybe ill weld a new heel back on one day... maybe
tell me who you think the maker is?
big_anvil1.JPG big_anvil2.JPG big_anvil3.JPG big_anvil4.JPG

Edited by Mlmartin15

Your pictures don't show the bottom, but I see a handling hole under the horn and under the heel which would indicate a forged anvil. The ledges on the feet and the handling holes would make me guess Peter Wright also.

Here is a couple of pics of my home made anvil, courtesy of and with thanks to, the BP on this site (Can't currently acces the relevant one, no doubt someone can add this for me)

Someone once said "Start small then work up" Good advice

7650.attach

7651.attach

ooo sorry about that, was a little to much to roll over, but on the bottom there is a regular square hold right in the middle, but there are also two round holes about 2 in away from the normal square hole, one on either side, maybe 1in round, and about 1 1/2 deep, never seen something like that before, ill take a pic later, have it all packed up right now, moving on friday, I know that squair holes are pretty much put on all forged anvils on the bottom, feet, and the waist. but are any of the cast anvils ever cast with these holes?

Hi there,
Finally got to take some photos of my blacksmithing gear.
Here's my anvil, which is 1 1/4cwt ex-Army WWII vintage. She's a bit worn down and probably hit with a grinder, as there is very little step in it.
Its mounted fairly securely to a bit of bridge timber, and I lift it onto the base of my leg-vice for storage... having only a small workshop. I can use both bits of gear like this if I'm doing nothing too serious.
The spring hold-down device does well working single-handedly, found the idea somewhere.

Thanks for looking!

Makoz

7722.attach

7723.attach

I bought an anvil yesterday. I had placed a wanted ad on craigslist, and got a response the same day!

It is made by the "Trenton" company, which is stamped on the anvil. It also has the words "solid wrought", so I assume this is a forged wrought iron anvil.

I haven't had a chance to weigh it yet, but I think it's somewhere between 110-140 lbs. The only number I can find on it is "95" but I'm sure it weights more then that.

I picked this bad boy up for $50. I'm quite happy.

7730.attach

Here is a look at what I have so-far:

The Anvil is made of forklift forks, I have no idea what it weighs but I can barely roll it over and in no way can i lift the thing. I do have a chain hoist I use to move it and even roll it over to work on it.

I had a little trouble with the Hardy hole, had a 1" round hole and with lots of advice from people on this site I tried several different things and finally settled on welding in a square tube and it now has a 1/2" hardy hole. If I find that is not large enough I can re drill it and put in a larger square tube I guess.

I left the eye on the fork to be used as additional tooling, if I find it gets in the way I will simply remove it.

The horn is still quite unfinished but I have already found it to be a little thin, will vibrate like crazy when hammering on it. It also needs the bottom cleaned up and rounded over as well as about 1/2 of the top will get rounded over. I think I will leave the back half of the horn square faced though as I have found it works nice for small stuff when I want to draw out something very small like a nail.

This anvil rings like a huge bell and almost hurts my ears and the rebound is good, especially if I am using my 2.5# hammer and hitting hard. Will have to develop some bounce control as I almost hit my self in the head last night from the bounce. No idea if that is good or bad but it is what I have so-far.

I have also included a picture of some of the things I have made my wife while learning how to make things, as well as a picture of the hardy tools I have made so-far.

I still have to get some steel for the feet of it so I can mount it to a good stand. I am going to build a 3 legged stand for it as has been suggested by many on this site.

Would be very interested in hearing your comments as to how you think this anvil will work for the long hall, I am likely to not get another anvil unless it is almost free as I hope to use this one. What changes would you make if it were yours and why would you make those changes? What additions should I make to it? Should I make a shelf on it? should I drill a pritchel hole, and if so what size should I drill it to?

7750.attach

7751.attach

7752.attach

Hey Frosty,
You know anyone looking to buy an anvil in Alaska?
The Alaska Juneau gold mine is selling a monster 375# Peter Wright anvil for $700.00. That's an unbelievable bargain, but a bit too far from Hamilton Ontario to ship. Just thought some people may be interested.

Peter Wright #375 anvil

Aeneas

I still have to get around to taking pictures of my anvils. I lucked out this year, a collegue of mine was getting rid of the anvils in his class so I scored 2 110lb london pattern anvils for free. The tables have seen a bit of abuse and have some chips, but they still have a lot of life left in them. I lent one to a friend of mine and I lent the other to my 2 students (they're brothers) until they get their own.

Nate looks quite usable to me as to the long haul down the long hall, that pretty much depends on *you*. If it fits your needs then you're good. If over time your needs or wants change then not.

I would suggest that if you ever get rid of it you pass it on to another beginner as it looks like a great anvil to me!

Nate:

That's a great looking anvil.

The only change I'd make is to torch out the 1/2" (useless size) hardy hole and replace the thing with 1" ID sq tubing.

I can think of lots of things to do with the eye in the rear, I'd leave it unless it's in the way.

You can make a bolster plate for punching a lot easier than drilling through that much 4140 (probably) steel. Same for a step, I use the step on my anvils for upsetting into but that's about it. I do all my chiseling on a saddle plate, never the steps. If you want something to upset into weld a thick block of mild to the body somewhere out of the way but handy.

-----------------

Aeneas:

I've posted this add to our local Association page and while everyone's drooling nobody can afford the freight to get it here. I actually laid hands on this anvil 15-18 years ago. At least I'm pretty sure it's the same one, it came from the mine and was a 375lb PW. Might've been another one from the same mine originally bought together.

Thanks for the heads up.

Frosty

Edited by Frosty