I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

• 2 months later...

Main shop anvil. 156 lb Arm and Hammer. Stand is 10" well casing with a 2" plate welded to it. Plate was about 120 lbs. Three angle iron legs around the base for stability. When I got this anvil all four feet had 1/2" holes drilled in them. I would never go to the trouble to do that but I was sure gonna use them. Anvil is bolted through the 2" plate.

There is a 132 lb Peter Wright that floats around the shop on various benches and tables. Usually set pretty high off the ground for really light work. My traveling anvil is a 128 lb Hay Budden and it lives in the van.

I also have an anvil with the horn broke off. Can't read much of the name and even Mr. Postman couldn't identify it based on my description but it is definitely English and still weighs over 100 lb. It is usually on the heavy vise table right by the forge or weighing something down on my welding table. Best anvil I ever bought, it was only $6!!!

3676.attach

I have two. The smaller one was a seriously abused one that I dug up froma hill side at the inlaws retirement home/property. I also dug up my leg vice from next to the anvil. I stubbed my toe on one of the feet of the anvil and started digging.
My_First_Anvil.jpg
This one is my russian special. The stand is a full sheet of 3/4 inch plywood. The center block is wide enough to hold the whole anvil. I had to add 3-inch blocks under each of the feet when I realized that my back-aches were from leaning over the anvil.
110_lb-er_during_02.JPG

3697.attach

3698.attach

Remounted one of my anvils this weekend, and got a mount for the other, and i'm working on a mount for the last (which I just got last friday)

150lb peter wright (the one posted in this thread earlier) now on a nice white oak stump
http://www.tharkis.com/images/shop/150lbpeterwright.jpg

My 75lb 4140 anvil
http://www.tharkis.com/images/shop/4140anvil.jpg

and my 120lb post anvil, which i'm working on chisling out the hole in a stump for currently.

http://www.tharkis.com/images/shop/postanvilstump.jpg

(further pictures of the post anvil can be found at Temporary Stake Anvil page )

EDIT:

I've got one more stake anvil, this one is a 55lb one, and can be seen in this picture.

http://www.tharkis.com/images/shop/swageandtongs.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

These are my girls.

The smaller anvil on the left is a 125# Soldorfors Sorcoress #5.

The larger one on the right is a 202# Trenton.

The little one resting on the Trenton's heal is the rail anvil I made in the early 80's.

The rail anvil was my only anvil for years and remained my traveling anvil till I transfered off the drill crew. The Soldorfors was my first "real" anvil and is set at the height recommended in "The Art of Blacksmithing" knuckle height. The Trenton is set at wrist height and is more comfortable to strike.

I haven't remounted the Soldorfors yet but will now I have the new shop closed in. I haven't decided whether to go to the trouble of morticing it into the block again, though it deadened the ring nicely and holds the anvil very securely it was a lot of hassle.

Frosty

3903.attach

• 1 month later...
What name brand is the german one ?

Mike Tanner

Mike were you asking about my German anvil or the one Mende posted?

If you are asking about mine, the only legible markings on it is the date 1803 stamped in the front foot. Postman told me that these are very hard to identify as to a manufacturer, as this style made over a very long period of time.

My 236 lb peter wright.
Its quite dinged up but thats probably a good thing as i'm just learning. I wouldn't want to damage a new anvil with my novice hammer control.
p.s. i hope i did the image thing right.

4192.attach

• 3 weeks later...

I just talked with one of the smiths in our local chapter and he wanted me to bring my little anvil by to see if it is "fixable". This is the first time I really looked at it. I have never tried to identify it because there were no visible markings on it. Until I flipped it over. there are three, what appear to be, capital letter "D"s on the bottom. would any of you more knowlegable gents or lasses have any idea as to make? I am not a collector but am now curious.

thanks

On the bottom? Hmmm... I could be wrong but I don't think this is a foundry mark. Could be from a previous owner as an I.D. mark if stolen.
I do something similar with my guns. Under the buttcap I carve the last four digits of my S.S.N. into the wood then replace the buttcap. Even if a thief had hours to rummage through my house those guns would probably not be found anyway;)Dan.

Here's my brand new (to me), first ever anvil that will soon-ish blossom into a full-on shop.

Mexican, I assume, because it has MEXICO stamped on the side, cast, and of indeterminate weight. It's been a while since I've lifted anything in the hundred-to-hundreds of pounds category, but almost certainly over 150# and less than 250#.

4455.attach