I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

• 1 month later...

Jeff, did you heat treat that RRR anvil? Instructions in Weyger's book "The Complete Modern Blacksmith".

MlMartin15, do you have a picture of the underside of that anvil---we might be able to put a name to it if so, (does is the underside of the heel show the hammer blows from the powerhammer---if so it's probably an Arm and Hammer)

I was going to put a picture of my big anvil, But it is a vary common one. I just finished this RR Rail anvil so here you go.
Jeff B[ATTACH]5098[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]5099[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]5100[/ATTACH]

GREAT looking rr anvil. I wanta make one now LOL. What did you use to cut it a torch or bigg plasma?
How long did it take to make it aslo? How long of a rail did you start with? how Heavy is it? Do you use it alot?
Thanks,chris

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't mess with that anvil, it's in lovely shape! I'd round off the damaged edges to a nice smooth curve and use them for fullering.

If you have to have a dead sharp edge make a hardy tool with one; however in blademaking a sharp edge will often be the cause of a cold shut that you will regret greatly!

Dan post a picture of what the bottom of that anvil looks like and we may be able to help with the make of it.

the site let me in to read only. best way to ruin a good anvil is to take the advice offered on how to remedy the edges on that site.

"Nice grab! Get some hardfacing rod and weld those corners up and she'll be good as new!"

Edited by irnsrgn

Well here's my little guy.... 5" x 5" x 14" pc of 1045 burried 8" into a chicken feeder using sand screening (that fine chalky gravel stuff) Works well and is really quiet so I don't disturb the nieghbors at night... lol.

Rick

I love the chicken feeder anvil stand, it's the first one I've ever seen. :o

Nice piece of steel for an anvil as well, all the depth of steel under the face would really move metal for you.

Nice working setup all round; it shows how a little organization will make a small area work efficiently.

Frosty

I didn't actually mean to tell anybody anything. :o I was just making a wistful observation that a LITTLE organization seems more efficient.

Of course now I have an engine hoist and can move heavy stuff organization is less important. (no sense fighting a proven disability now is there?) :cool:

Frosty

Ya, the shop looked like that for a day or two... That pic was taken the day I got my Grizzly grinder and made that new anvil holder. I also put up the plywood dividers that day... so ya, I had to clean up. Funny how it feels like I do less work when my shop is clean... perhaps its because I'm more apt to take the time to put things away... lol.... for a little while, atleast.:rolleyes:

Thanks guys.
Rick