I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Here is my anvil. It is double horned, 110 lbs, with no markings. Any experts want to guess who made it? I don't usually see the top of the round horn being flush with the working face. Otherwise, I use all sorts of steel things to shape on/in/around.

3041.attach

• 2 weeks later...

Heres my anvil and a couple pics of my newly made smithy as well. Its behind my shed at my house

IMG_2757.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
IMG_2756.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
IMG_2755.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
IMG_2754.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
IMG_2753.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I tried looking for marks on the anvil and found none. I dont know anything about it except that it is xxxx heavy. Im 6'8 270 and can squat 350, but I couldn't get this up off the ground

3042.attach

3043.attach

3044.attach

3045.attach

3046.attach

Here is my anvil. It is double horned, 110 lbs, with no markings. Any experts want to guess who made it? I don't usually see the top of the round horn being flush with the working face. Otherwise, I use all sorts of steel things to shape on/in/around.

Maybe a delta tfs double horn?:confused:

Sean

200kg anvil. Stand is made of 3/8" plate and 1/4"-wall 12" pipe. I don't have to bolt it to the floor or fill the stand with sand (it does have a bottom and it can be done.) Has a piece of 1/2" hard rubber between the anvil and stand.

2989.attach

2990.attach

This is a shot of my shop showing my drum set. Starting off.. my primary anvil (the grey one in the middle) which is a 64 KG cast tool steel english anvil with a 1 1/4 hardy on a 5" by 3" legged tripod base that weighed in at 260 pounds after I filled it with 120 pounds of sand and topped with a 1/2' layer of lead between the anvil and base in order to kill the ring. in the foreground is my demo anvil, a + or-130 pound fulton on a simple, easy to transport stump. And last but not least is my 180 pound trenton wrought anvil in the background.
I also included some left overs, and an anvil's eye view of the shop just for fun!!

2992.attach

2993.attach

2994.attach

2995.attach

200kg anvil. Stand is made of 3/8" plate and 1/4"-wall 12" pipe. I don't have to bolt it to the floor or fill the stand with sand (it does have a bottom and it can be done.) Has a piece of 1/2" hard rubber between the anvil and stand.

daryl,
That is one sweeeeeeet anvil.

Sean

Here's my 140-lb Fisher. The stand was something I put together a long time ago when I got my first welder. I wanted to make something with all that scrap I got from the yard, back in the day when you could actually buy stuff there. I learned that I-beam is not all that sturdy in the way I was using it. Before I put in those vertical 1-1/2" pipes, the anvil would sway so bad I couldn't hit anything. The pipes stiffened it up fine. I also raised the height with the 4X4's. I originally had it at knuckle height, 'cuz that's what all the forum folks said to do. An extra 3-1/2" is what's comfortable for me.

The tray can swing around and is height adjustable. I can raise it to anvil face height and use it as a helper. And that tennis ball is bungee'd around the anvil. I slip that over the horn when not in use to protect my vital parts.

--Marc

3039.attach

Marc - great idea with the tennis ball to cover the horn of the anvil, I wish I had a nickel every time I was walking past the anvil and the hammer loop on my carpenter pants caught on the horn and stopped me suddenly - or it got my attention very quick. I have never walked straight toward the horn though - that'd be a no no. :) - JK

I get pretty much no ring at all. There is some clanging, depending on what's in the tray, but that's about it. Also, Fishers are known for having no ring. There's a piece of plywood sandwiched between the anvil and the stand, so maybe that helps.

Too late on the patent, though. I think Bozo the Clown already has that :)

I've wondered if mine is from Old World Anvils. Chances are pretty good. I bought it off the back of a pickup truck. There are lots of nice anvils posted here, but my anvil-envy is for the hornless german anvil posted early on. These london pattern versions are everywhere. :)

This is an anvil one of our Association members fabbed up a couple months ago. Buying and shipping an anvil to Alaska is really expensive and he found a piece of decent plate to work with.

The body is welded up from two pieces of 1 1/2" plate and the face is T-1. He spent about 30 hrs start to finish, not counting hunting up the plate and driving to my place and back to weld it up.

It weighs 235lbs.

Frosty

3098.attach