I Forge Iron

Show me your vise

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

My last large vise was a 6"'r I bought at Quad-State my penultimate time I was there for $50---I thought that was a steal and so cut the chain off my wallet, tazed the hyperactive dobermans guarding it and picked the lock on it to get the money out and buy it. Still haven't paid more than US$30 for a 4" one including the two I bought earlier this year.

Its steel. It looks to be forged not cast, but I'm not certain.The paint is very thick on it, and hard. I have some older leg vises too, but I like the new one the best. I put copper over the jaws, other then that its as I bought it. The new vise seems stronger and smoother then older ones I bought off of eBay.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here is my vise...... has "800" in raised numerals on the side of it. Took 3 guys to get it out of the van. Came from my brother in laws house in MD. His grandfather got it from Amtrak railroad station in DC. I had this on the floor for about 2 years and finally built a stand with wheels for convenience purposes. I attached the stand with it upside down on the floor, I had a hard time flipping it over onto the wheels at first. I was a bit afraid of it throwing me actually. I had to use a 6' steel rod to roll it over. This is one heavy vise and I love it....

post-22862-0-81892600-1326305442_thumb.j

Did you weld that lovely wilton to the stand? It would be a real shame to abuse a nice tool like that. If its a 6 or 8 inch jaw like it looks like then that thing is worth easily more than 400 but welding on it will drop the price like a rock. I also belive you will find that a vice that rolls around when you use it to generaly be vary hard to use.

Here is my vise...... has "800" in raised numerals on the side of it. Took 3 guys to get it out of the van. Came from my brother in laws house in MD. His grandfather got it from Amtrak railroad station in DC. I had this on the floor for about 2 years and finally built a stand with wheels for convenience purposes. I attached the stand with it upside down on the floor, I had a hard time flipping it over onto the wheels at first. I was a bit afraid of it throwing me actually. I had to use a 6' steel rod to roll it over. This is one heavy vise and I love it....

I'm sort of puzzled by this. You have one of the biggest stoutest vises even made. A vise that was made to hold things with totaly imoble so they could be worked on with out moveing. Then you go and put it on a base with wheels on it? Sort of counter productive dont you think. Than if you wanted to mount it to something rigid you can't beacuse you welded it down. At least it looks cool.

You should put a seat off of a tractor onto it, make it adjustable, that way you and that vise are stationary relative to each other.

Phil

I didn't weld it someone else did. I got it welded to a plate. I just added the stand. Believe me, it doesn't move when your working on it. My shop is a custom welding shop. I build mostly motorcycle frames and gas tanks. But I fabricate a lot of other things too. I am always moving the furniture around sort of speak depending on the projects I'm working on. So to have the vise mobile around the shop is actually a good thing. The shop is only 36' x 24' and I have a lot of equipment....

• 1 month later...
Guest jasonmichalski
P3011177.jpg
4" vise I pick up off ebay for $35.00.
P3011169.jpg
Wilton vise and stand my wife found for $25.00 at a yard sale. The mess is from the new smithy build.
P3011172.jpg
ERIE #123 vise and stand found outside after ten years @ my mother's gas station needed lots of wd-40, but its good now.

I didn't weld it someone else did. I got it welded to a plate. I just added the stand. Believe me, it doesn't move when your working on it. My shop is a custom welding shop. I build mostly motorcycle frames and gas tanks. But I fabricate a lot of other things too. I am always moving the furniture around sort of speak depending on the projects I'm working on. So to have the vise mobile around the shop is actually a good thing. The shop is only 36' x 24' and I have a lot of equipment....

Now that's a vise! By far, the largest Wilton I've ever seen. Nice score on that monster.

1-workshop.jpg

to much junk. the vices are about 15' apart. the bench is handy in that its 36" deep. plus theres another bench that has my 4" wilton thats a roll around. it has about 1000lbs of nuts & bolts under it to keep it stable

P3011177.jpg 4" vise I pick up off ebay for $35.00. P3011169.jpg Wilton vise and stand my wife found for $25.00 at a yard sale. The mess is from the new smithy build. P3011172.jpg ERIE #123 vise and stand found outside after ten years @ my mother's gas station needed lots of wd-40, but its good now.

The upgrade took off my ID but I'm back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...