I Forge Iron

Show me your vise

Glenn

They can be repaired by re-brazing a new thread into the box if the old one is destroyed. I do not believe many people do this anymore. The cost in labor to repair a screw box is probably more than buying a new used vise.

However I would not through that one away! You can set the screw box aside and try to find another for now, or you can attempt to repair it yourself. There is a nice paper written be Peter Ross about making a new screw box of the same construction. It clearly shows how it could be repaired.

I am sorry but I have no advise about the screw if it has been cut short or broken. 

There are methods to fab up a new screw and screwbox using things like  scaffolding leg levelers; but in general the time and effort to make one is greater than the cost to find a vise in better condition. 

You can sometimes find the screw/screwbox used at conferences or a vise with a trashed body but a decent screw/screwbox; but the wait is often long

Buying new coarse sq buttress thread tends to be pricey.

The first three pics are of my first vise I got about a month and a half ago. I was looking for a nice small one that wouldn't be hard to move around seeing how I'm a college student that travels a lot and it works great for that.post-42941-0-11053400-1374892708_thumb.j post-42941-0-79995700-1374893303_thumb.j I know the screw is replaced but other than that it seems to be all original. There is a date stamped on it but its hard to tell if it ways 1803 or 1903 so I'm assuming the later which is really cool because that is the same date of my fisher anvil. What are the odds? Also there is a 35 stamped on it, not sure if that is the weight or something else. I haven't weighed it yet.  post-42941-0-62172500-1374893036_thumb.j The next pics are of my newest vise I got last week and it was really a find! post-42941-0-64911800-1374893901_thumb.j I pulled it out of the back of an old barn and the owner didn't even know it was there.post-42941-0-76136200-1374894305_thumb.j She gave it to me on a trade after doing lots of work around her house and I couldn't have been happier. Its a big one post-42941-0-54231000-1374894573_thumb.jso I will have to leave it with my parents for now until I get my own place and can set up a permanent shop. But man is this thing a beauty. So far I've only taken a wire brush to it to get off the dirt and some of the rust. Trying do decide if i really want to clean it up or just leave it as is for now. The only markings I can find on it is a 4 on the mounting plate and a 70 on the face of the jaw. I haven't weighed this one ether but I'm guessing 80lbs or somewhere in that range. post-42941-0-76162400-1374895103_thumb.j post-42941-0-92009500-1374895539_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

I can show you the cad sketches if you want XD or scan in the hand drawn comments!

your vice actually looks like it might also be a Quikwerk.  I can make out WERK and above if what looks like TOOL & FO, which matches the content layout of the stamp on mine, though a slightly different shape.  see below for more detailed pics of the aforementioned.

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

i picked this one up a few days ago. a 5" columbian to match the little 2.5" one i already had.

it was welded to a plate and the plate welded to a welding table. it took me longer to untangle the extension cord than it did to score the weld with a cutoff wheel and knock it off with chisel and hammer. haven't figured out how to get the table home yet. it weighs somewhere north of a 1000 pounds. i'm 6'4" and can't budge the corner of it.

post-13421-0-33448400-1378310041_thumb.j

the fella just wanted it out of the garage of a house he's trying to sell.

i also have a line on a 5" rock island vise. guy wants $50 for it. i'm going to try and pick it up for my brother.

mark

Been looking for a vise for awhile and yesterday I went to one of the local scrapyards when I came across the bed of a pickup completely filled with what looks like a blacksmith shop emptied with a bulldozer. Tongs, hardie tools, square and round stock, everything. Including this vise. I've never seen one quite like this before, it doesn't have the typical handle.

Also in the picture are a couple hardie tools I grabbed.

post-13140-0-52288900-1378833139_thumb.j

post-13140-0-20401700-1378833158_thumb.j

No picts of my post vises right now, but I've got one of my 5X Parker on the heavy steel table. That's a 20 lb sledge head laying on the top next to the vise and the top itself is 1 1/2" thick. Off the top of my head I want to say the jaws are 6", but they might be 8"

post-25608-0-67887700-1378835520_thumb.j

Danguite, that vise has had the screw and screwbox replaced at some point.  No big deal if it works, though.  You need to get on back to that scrap yard and finish saving the rest of that blacksmith shop.  Chances like that don't come around often, and you never know what might be lurking in the pile!  I would have spent all day transferring goods from one truck bed to the other!!

DSW, wonderful set up.  My table's about 1.5" thick, too, and it sure makes it a dream to work on.  

Glenn

on the third page of this topic you showed a vise less the leg and a different clamp system.  I'm new to this sight but it sounds a whole lot like a vise from a Military "Traveling Forge" of the Civil War era and later as long as they had horses and mules.  The description in the book "Blacksmith's Traveling Forge" by Karl Orndorff says " The Tongue vise appeared nearly Identical to a Blacksmiths post vise the only difference being the post has been replaces by a sturdy "Clamping Device".  It was mounted on the Chassis of the forge near the anvil. 

No real good picture of one of these  in use, there is a decent line drawing of one on pages 124-125. Sounds about right.  Anyone interested in the History of Blacksmithing this is an interesting book.

Dale

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...