I Forge Iron

Show me your vise

Glenn

Wouldn't think you'd need the wood with the reinforcement like that...

I bet he has minimal vibration with that big heavy stump/telephone pole in the center of all that reinforcement.

Vibration is the only complaint I have about my creation, especially with sawing I have to be careful since the whole vise starts vibrating. The natural frequency seems pretty low, and hitting the 1/2 or 1/4 frequency is a moderate sawing speed. I should put angle braces on, but haven't gotten that far and I returned my Dad's welder. I now have power for my welder but need practice with AC stick.

Phil

I started with just the telephone pole, then added the steel reinforcement because I don't trust the 4" lag bolts to stay fast for the long run.
And yes, the vibrations are very minimal and the whole thing is very solid, I'm loveing it!

I just finished mounting my anvile, and routed out a 2" pocket in the wood base then filled it part way with sand, no ring and very solid.

Good point; how about building a sand holder or quench tub in the middle to damp vibrations?

I have my 6" vise fastened to one of the telephone poles that supports my shop roof and walls and it transmits vibration into sound fairly well; but at least it's low frequency.

Water won't help. I never thought of sand, but portability is part of why I made my vise stand the way I did. I have some pipe leftover that is long enough to go from the table, or near the top of the post, down to the feet. I expect some added reinforcement is the answer for me. I tested my welder on the new circuit today and was most pleased. Only a matter of finding time before I reinforce the stand.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Well guy's this is my main vise & stand. Two pieces of 30mm plate with 50 x 50mm solid formed legs & married together with centre piece that acts as the hold point for the leg of the vise. I've made this with a flange at the back close to ground level where this is used with a pallet truck if & when I wish to move it. Save me tired back when moving it around! There's a lot of weight in this thing which is exactly what I wanted. My best friend is also picture where sadly the old boy's no longer with me. I've had to put him down last weekend. Any German Shepard owners will know the hips on these dogs give trouble and when the time comes that the animal looses the use of the back legs, then it's time to do the decent thing and put him to sleep. I miss the poor old dog, he was good company

758F8EA638F24BACBD92A73F30A1842F-0000348

Man that is one substantial table, I like it a lot! Nice work.

Sorry to hear about your pup.

Thanks,

I put a bit of thought into it and built it with what I could find. Had a little plate cut and put the thing together in a day.

Yeah, miss the old Shepard, but it ain't right if the animal is in discomfort and nothing can be done. It's the decent thing to do

What are the holes on the top & bottom plate ofthe stand for?

Those holes will act like the hardy hole of an anvil. I've yet to make up some drop down jigs or similar type tooling that may be needed in future. Might as well pop those holes in when I sketched up the parts and let the oxy cut the plate. It sure beats drilling the thing at a later date

Well guy's this is my main vise & stand. Two pieces of 30mm plate with 50 x 50mm solid formed legs & married together with centre piece that acts as the hold point for the leg of the vise. I

Seriously built there. I guess you don't have to go back to the anvil for light straightening.

I am sorry to hear about your dog, every one is special one way or another.

Phil

Seriously built there. I guess you don't have to go back to the anvil for light straightening.

I am sorry to hear about your dog, every one is special one way or another.

Phil

Thanks Phil,

That's exactly it, moving to the anvil & back to the vise; I'm wasting time & loosing heat. Strike when the iron is hot or so goes the old saying!

And thanks for the comment on me dog. 12 years I've had him. An extreamly loyal and highly intelligent dog, always sitting only feet away whatever I'm at, knew exactly what I'd be saying, it gas how you get attached to theses creatures, now his mat lies unoccupied..

We'll there's only one way to sort it...I'm on the look out for another one (big thumbsup!!)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like a nice vise.

However, you'll find that the vise will soon overpower your post, and as the weather and heat dry out the post, you will find the post splitting and splintering. You'll be tugging, pulling and torquing metal in the vise, and all that will transfer into the post.

Yes, I found that buying a treated telephone pole cull and cutting to length lasted quite awhile. To get more mileage out of them, I would wrap the stump in piano wire (if available) or leather.

A nice steel post a great option. Good industial I beam works great if you can find some.

good luck

• 2 weeks later...