I Forge Iron

Show me your vise

Glenn

Better yet, make it hydraulic. After I build my press, I'm going to make something similar to what Larry did, but fabricate my own instead of converting a post vise:

I have a piece of 2" x 8" 1018 plate I'm using for the platens, and will split the drop for the vise jaws. 1/2" through holes will allow for using a bunch of different jaw inserts, bending jigs, etc. In addition to being an awesome vise, it will also function as a horizontal press/bender.

My press is going to be right next to an exterior wall, so Im thinking of putting the motor and pump in a box on the outside of the building and running the hoses through the wall. I'll probably run the cylinder on the vise off the same setup, with an adjustable flow control valve (probably a bit too much speed having a 28 GPM pump pushing a 3" cylinder at 15 inches per second!).

I like putting loud things outside when possible. You can install a flow restricter or a bypass on the supply side. heck, it's been a long time since I messed with hydraulics, just replace the one that's there now or adjust the restricter. The bypass is usually in the valve body and often changing is as simple as opening the access screw and changing it out.

I've been thinking of putting an air brake can on one of my vises so I don't have to wait on no stupid screw. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

"I've been thinking of putting an air brake can on one of my vises so I don't have to wait on no stupid screw. <grin>" Frosty The Lucky.

Ray Clontz, of tire hammer and grinder fame, did just that about 10 years ago. Kind of a homebrew Studebaker vise. IIRC, the prototype crushed the channel iron frame when it closed. The Mark 1 had a pressure reducer in the air line.

• 2 weeks later...

1-workshop.jpg

to much junk. the vices are about 15' apart. the bench is handy in that its 36" deep. plus theres another bench that has my 4" wilton thats a roll around. it has about 1000lbs of nuts & bolts under it to keep it stable

I hated to quote this post but it wouldn't let me edit?
I just happened to be working on the vice in the back of this picture. I found where it says its a "Columbian" and the jaw width is 6 1/4". the front vise is supposed to be english, dunno from who yet?

I posted my vise packaged up earlier, and may have posted it on my not-very-useful workbench (the vise needs to be at a post or the flex of the table will bounce the mountings apart). I set up a new vise stand recycling channel from a satellite dish mount.

Phil

post-9443-0-47128100-1335191537_thumb.jp

post-9443-0-43508900-1335191553_thumb.jp

post-9443-0-32875400-1335191571_thumb.jp

post-9443-0-96818500-1335191606_thumb.jp

What were once vices are now habits...

We have two post vises in the shop. One (Indian) is socket mounted on the lay out table. It can be moved around the table where it is needed. The larger is mounted to a forging station. Its heavy but can be moved around. The shop is set up to be modular, everything has to move. Unless you are only doing one thing, like a production line, it makes no sense to secure everthing in one fixed location. Flexible is good.

sorry gent, apparently IFI does not take photos anymore.

well i finally got around to mounting this guy closer to where i was working 6inch jaws wide weigh is a bit over 100lb so was a but with the set up i have now its solid as a rock and i can still snag the whole set up with tractor bucket and drop it out side if i want to
the 2 vices are mounted on top of three rims from full sized school buss not 100% sure how i came by them but this is the best use i have found for them so far on top of that i bolted 4 4x4s and then mounted the pose vice to the side of that with 2 long threaded rods that were used originally to just clamp the 4x4s together there this is a piece of 2 1/2inch wide half inch thick steel wielded on the the bottom rim for the foot of the vice
so far i am very happy with the set up as it did not increase the over all foot print of the vice stand and has in fact made it more stable 303379_3298803546681_1165670137_32637109
574782_3298806706760_1165670137_32637112
and my step vice i am loving having this around for quick twisting and bending work i have it set up with the spring external so i can disconnect it
when the spring is disconnected the weight of the peddle holds the jaws together hard enough to keep light work from slipping through i have found this very handy
i mounted it onto a 2ft by three ft plywood base made up of 2 half inch pieces screwed together not perfect but very portable and large enough for me to stand on it and keep things from shifting
the small mutt of a anvil is there for upsetting
531447_3298814226948_1165670137_32637116