I Forge Iron

You want HOW MUCH ?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a large deep table forge with a coal and water reservoir in good condition with the champion 400 blower and a clinker breaker that wasn't burned out I would give 500$. I didn't have the 350$ the last time I saw one available, and haven't seen one since... at all... Not that I have 500$ to rub together right now that isn't already spoken for...  :-)  No one is making the big cast iron table forges, or the lovely old buffalo down draft forges either, and if you look at what a factory fabricated forge table costs, 500$ is cheap...   Supply and Demand  vs time, materials, and overhead...

I'm a fan of the old forges, and dearly wish I could have added that one to my shop.  But, for the same money, and no drive time, I could fabricate a forge that fit my exact design wishes.  I'm still keeping my eyes open for a big cast iron forge, though....  I love the history behind them.

George M

$400 was price, sheriff figured they had be a group as these seemed to be Pro. and were doing the same to more than one poor uneducated hillbilly Vermonter that trip.  He also figured they had crossed his county off their  list or maybe the entire state. 

Deal was the check was for $575. I was suppose to give the haulers $150 plus the radio figuring that was going to be out of my  pocket.  Good thing the sheriff was there not me as they wouldn't have left the dooryard unless on foot with a bad limp or pushing the van with flat tires.  Pretty sure the sheriff figured that and offered to set there. 

Just watched a pair of Wally Yater swage blocks go for crazy money on ebay.  I don't know if the swage blocks for the iron for you, but they'd sure better do something really spectacular for $2000!

What's really funny is that every item that I decide I really want always goes for crazy prices.  If I decide that I'm not going to bother, the piece will go for pennies.

I was watching a pair of rusty old tongs that I was thinking would be really easy to turn into a set of hammer eye tongs.  The starting bid was less than $10 and I decided to not worry about it because they'd surely go for $50 and I'm not paying that for a mangled pair of rusty tongs that I'm going to have to reshape to be useable.  Sure enough, I don't bid and they close out at just over $10!

I just can't win!!  :(

VaughnT: Ever go fishing?

Ever catch ALL the fish? :rolleyes:

'Ya can't win the lottery unless ya buy a ticket.' It took me 15 years to find a 350 pound swage block for $1/lb, and it came about by the TPAAAT method. A jeweler friend let me know that another jeweler was moving cross country, and had been using this one for a stake plate. Getting it out of a backyard shed, down a couple of rickety steps and uphill was an experience without anything but a cheap hand truck.

Just watched a pair of Wally Yater swage blocks go for crazy money on ebay.  I don't know if the swage blocks for the iron for you, but they'd sure better do something really spectacular for $2000!

Went for $2560, and then shipping rates on top of that!!  I was watching that too, I have a Yater cone and always wanted a pair of them to go with.

I passed set at $1600 a few years ago, I thought that was crazy high.....

Recently had a Craig's list experience with blacksmithing equipment as well.  Have been on the lookout for a  larger anvil and saw a local listing by a guy for a anvil on a truck rim style stand for $350 and a CI coal forge for $450.  He also had loads of pictures for farm equipment attached to his listing as well.  Called him up and asked about the equipment.   The typical questions, weight, condition, how long ago was it used...  He said that he had used it only last spring and all was in very good condition, the anvil was over 100#, but that someone was coming over in around 3 hours to look at them.  I don't usually try to "snipe" sales, but got excited and told him I'd drop everything and drive over immediately.  The fact that there was another anvil hiding in the weeds in the shot  was certainly a factor.  I figured I had a farmer who was downsizing and, hopefully, not expecting collector prices for blacksmith equipment.

When I got there I was quite disappointed.  This guy was right out of an American Pickers scene, with multiple barns full of antique furniture and around a half dozen anvils scattered around the property.  He was definitely in the antique dealer mode.  The one he had listed for $350 had rust damage to the horn that literally had eaten half way thru it (looked like someone had started to hacksaw it off and given up and set it outside for a couple of years).  The face was badly damaged and size wise was in the 75# range.  I told him that I wasn't interested in that particular anvil.  He asked me why and when I explained about what I saw as drawbacks for use, became a little verbally abusive and noted that I had very clear ideas about what I was looking for, and that I would be better off buying something new.  Against my better judgment I looked at his other equipment.  The forge was stuffed back into a trailer and clearly hadn't been used in years.  However it appeared to be in fair condition, but the hand cranked blower was seized (and the tuyer was a bit deeper than I'm used to).  I wasn't really in the market for a forge, so I passed on that as well, to more abuse. 

The prize was an unnamed anvil that looked to be around the 250# range and in very usable shape.  Unfortunately I didn't have a bearing with me to test the rebound, but asked the price in any case.  He wanted $900 for this one.  If I trusted him at all I might have taken a chance on this, but decided that with his attitude I really didn't need it that badly.

I saw a set of Yaters go for about $750 some years ago and I seriously considered buying them to use but I already had three swage blocks..Now they have started to skyrocket..Ive saw them go for $1200, then $1600 then about $2000 and then this set for $2500..Id like to have a set but Im not going to go to war with the tool collectors on ebay for them..I already have one of centaur forges version and it works just as well..I remember when good deals could be had on the bay' now they are far-few and between..

-----------------------------------

I occasionally see beat to death post vices local but they are always prices at $200+..I saw one gentleman that had a 100# fisher, a rivet forge and a 5" Columbian vice posted as a "full blacksmith shop"...Price, $5000

An old trick amongst Horse Traders, and Flea Market Vendors, ... is to pass the same item back ans forth between themselves, ... at ever increasing prices, ... until a "sucker" jumps in and snatches this obviously "hot"  :rolleyes:  item.

The Flea Hustlers laugh all the way to the Bank.

Whenever I see grossly overpriced items on Ebay, ... I tend to believe a similar Scam is afoot.

Just say NO.

Sometimes a windfall. About 40 years ago, I was driving through Kingman, AZ, and there on the sidewalk was a big Champion cast iron hearth standing in front of a 2nd hand furniture store. When I parked and approached, I saw that it had a rectangular hole in it where a firepot would go. The sales woman said, "Isn't that a funny lookin' table?" I agreed, "Yes, it is." Got it for 50 bucks, and it's still my personal forge.

Recently, I got a 350 # Peter Wright in good shape and a nice 155 # Hay-Budden out of the same shop which had closed its doors. I paid $1500 which went to the widow of the former owner. Overall, I was satisfied.

About 45 years ago, I found a cast iron 4 foot tall floor mandrel that had a 1" thick wall. I gave $200 for it which at the time just about made me cry, but now, I'm glad I did what I did.

Me and Marcy were wandering through a little antique shop up here in flushing michigan and stumbled across some tools and I spied a nice little 10 #anvil in nice shape would maybe nice for doing some small work they can't want to much for it as I see similar ones all over. Oh wait they want 12.50 a # for an unmarked 10# anvil yes $125.

1 day I found an ad for a "blacksmith anvel" on craigslist. It was spelled "anvel" a few times in the ad too. The pic showed a decent dusty anvil in a garage full of stuff. It turned out to be a nice Trenton 126# so I bought it along with a heavy duty spud pole. That was a lucky find.

Me and Marcy were wandering through a little antique shop up here in flushing michigan and stumbled across some tools and I spied a nice little 10 #anvil in nice shape would maybe nice for doing some small work they can't want to much for it as I see similar ones all over. Oh wait they want 12.50 a # for an unmarked 10# anvil yes $125.

It was a place on M54 (Gera and Birch Run Rd) between Birch Run and Frankenmuth.  They had  a lot of mislabeled or ridiculously overpriced items there.  It was a fun little place to look around though.post-60264-0-31690500-1423361150_thumb.j

Guy on Craigslist here kept trying to sell a 12" piece of RR track, completely unmodified for about $225...several folks put up adds just to mock his price... it dropped a few times and i quit watching it..

made me laugh though...

Cal-

This made me laugh too. Advertised on eBay is this 18kg 'anvil', 13 3/4 inches long and 5 1/2 inches high.
It states the anvil is made from railway track. Wrong. The anvil IS railway track.
Anyway, it has attracted two bids so far, the max being $5. And then you have to pay $27.95 postage. This stuff is lying around everywhere and is worthless unless you put in the hours to shape an anvil from it. What a joke.
post-50874-0-65350300-1423393073_thumb.j

I get alot of people asking how much their woodworking tools are worth, and I reply "It's worth what you can get for it".
Then they often throw out an ebay-price, and I have to ask "Do you know if it's actually sold for that?"

Generally, people in this country has too much money, so interior design means old tools and anvils go for vastly inflated prices, it's almost always cheaper to buy new.
A woodworking friend of mine beat me to some chisels and a plane at a fair we were at.
The initial asking price was about 200$.
"Oh, you're going to USE it?? -Tell you what, give me 10$ for them" :D

I've had two great scores recently. I got a 124# PW for $350 shipped to Durango, Co from Michigan. this was from a well known eBay merchant, sometimes called the blacksmiths candy store.

it had a little pitting on the face and sold no reserve. I made a bid fully knowing I wouldn't win. shows to go...

I have two old CI table forges. one I put a centaur firepot in, the other had the original firepot & tuyer. the clinker breaker was not original and rode s good half inch low. all the goodies fall out the hole so fire management is a bear.

I walked in my local second hand store and found a well used, but not used up complete firepot, tuyre, and clinker breaker.

I tried to talk him down from $25, but alas, no luck!

it now sits in my old forge,,,perfect fit, and is back to work.

with the creation of Ebay and American Pickers every one wants top $$$$$. They think they are sitting on a gold mine. A few years ago I ran across and article that said to look up the original price and multiply it by 19 that would give you fare market value. Then deduct for flaws (character). when I bought my power hammer i used this method and the old blacksmith with Parkinson's I got a good deal and he got a fair price and I sleep well at night. 

Another thing to consider is the changing purchasing power of the dollar.  The U.S. Department of Labor has a cool inflation calculator on its websites.  Just goolge "department of Labor inflation calculator" and you should go right to it. It covers all years from 2015 back to about 1910.  It is interesting to see what values we remember in our lives would be today.  For example, I was making $13k/year in 1975.  To have the same purchasing power today would take around $52k/year.  Also, if you are beefing about the cost of gas put in 1960s price per gallon and see what it would be today.  You'll be surprised.

Inflationarily,

George M.

We have 'Pickers' over here, or at least that is a polite term for them.

Coming on to peoples property to see if there is anything of value - usually at night and when there is no one around...........

I agree about tool prices though they have gone absolutely crazy here, tools I bought for a few pound years back are now going for thirty or forty  :blink:

Wayne

This is why it is so valuable to be able to build new or restore old tools that are not on the market as new.

Göte

indeed, that was a goal when i got started, to eventually learn the skills to make whatever tool i wanted/needed instead of speeding the money on over priced specialty tools, as im sure alot of people on here got into it.

when I was looking for an anvil I called about several that turned out to be way out of the price range I was looking in because they were  "antiques" I was told. I got the "its an antique" speech a lot. well I got curious about that and contacted several real antique dealers,I mean the kind of guys who make their living with antiques.

They all told me that no anvil was even close to true "antique" status unless it could be verified that it was a MINIMUM of 200 years old and preferably older with some serious history behind it. So a Hay Budden made in 1900 don't qualify!!!

• 1 month later...

About coughed up my lunch today when I flipped over to Craigslist and saw someone listing a 119 pound Peter Wright for $1000.00.   It's not even in particularly great shape.   Amazing.   In this area it shouldn't sell for more than about $300.  Good luck with that....