I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Today I bought home a scrap heavy duty conveyor shaft:

IMG_0803.jpeg.e56c4560e8c941b7bcbd257aa0e4c419.jpeg

32” of 2-1/2” diameter 4140. Woo hoo! (Already committed a good bit of the material to a project for our hammer-in door prize next month. It will probably take me a while to get this project down…)

Keep it fun,

David

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Absolutely! But, I won the door prize last month, so it’s my duty to provide one for next month. Personally, I like to put forward my best work on these type things. So, I’ll get it done, even if I end up using the whole bar in attempts…

Keep it fun,

David

I was thinking of drilling a small hole in one to see what the chips looked like.  There is a casting or forging line on them.  Or a spark test.  I just got them.  May be there are better uses for it.  Still, a White Raven sculpture would be fun, and I hear they are rare....:)

Excavator teeth and such are a hard, wear resistant alloy like a Vascowear. 

I see lots of beaks and claws in the shape. How many did you get Scott? It'd sure be a lot of fun playing with them, the more the merrier. 

If I had 4 a two headed bird with heads on springs facing each other. A mechanism to open and close the beaks when the heads move so it looked like the cerbirdrus(?) or would you need 6? Anyway, the heads moving on the necks, beaks clacking in the wind might be pretty entertaining.

Do you make kinetic sculptures, Scott? I keep seeing tapping claws and clacking beaks.

Frosty The Lucky.

To bad we don't live closer Scott. I have a 3 point sickle mower parts machine. Thats a part that probably never wares out. Its a knife/ledger/segment guard, not sure its hardened. But, between are two supplies you could build quite a flock. 

16 hours ago, Frosty said:

cerbirdrus(?)

Fun fact: it has been argued that Cerberus, the three-headed dog that guards the entrance to the underworld in Greek mythology, gets his name from a proto-Indo-European *k̑érberos, meaning "spotted". While there are competing theories about the derivation, if this one is true, it means that Hades, the god of the dead, named his dog "Spot".

20 hours ago, Chad J. said:

I'd be looking at making an anvil tool out of them,  not quite a Bick but it looks to have potential. 

A great idea that I didn't even consider, use as is with some polishing.  I make some odd shaped stuff.  Or a little grining and have a bird bick... ;). Thanks

19 hours ago, Frosty said:

Do you make kinetic sculptures, Scott? I keep seeing tapping claws and clacking beaks.

Geeze, where do I start replying to your comments....:ph34r:?  The only kinetic sculptures I have made are some cheesey mechanical moving things, not called kinetic but I cannot remember the name for them.  And some weather vanes.  But I'm a fan of moving art.  How about a marionette bird sculpture?    Marionettes can be quite intricate, but it would have to be small to keep the weight down.  Plenty of beak and jaw clacking possibilities there.  I have 14 of them btw but there's more to be had.

5 hours ago, lary said:

To bad we don't live closer Scott.

I would take you up on that, Larry!  Maybe we could collaberate on a project, if not for the distance....:rolleyes:. I stripped a seed planter on the old place before we moved, all that was left was the frame.  Lot of rusty wheels, cogs and whatnot.  I wanted to take an old pull roadgrader on a trailer but some people stepped in on that.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, JHCC said:

Fun fact

That made my day.  You should start a "Fun Fact of the Day" thread....  I would look forward to that. :)

Thanks all.

Animatronic? Were I clever enough I think putting a propeller beany thing on it and using wind power to make parts move. Say make the mouth open and close while the eyes rolled. I could probably pull that off. However I can see a wind powered marionette, maybe five it a hinged winged helmet that's flapping would power the moving parts. A person could get really creative using a power steering pump, rams and valves. Ooh, a motion sensor! When a door to door salesman opens the front gate or walks up the driveway the pile of junk slowly "assembles" itself into a towering glowering sentinel. Something like those toys you pull a string and the sticks turn into a man with a sword, only BIG. :) 

The old creative juices stirring yet? The voices have a million ideas!

I agree, "John's fun fact of the day" would make an excellent thread! Nothing beats starting the day with a smile.

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Scott NC said:

Marionettes can be quite intricate, but it would have to be small to keep the weight down. 

If you're willing to create a sufficiently beefy support mechanism, size is no limit.