• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's going to be a challenge to pry you off this one isn't it Scott?

Giant marionettes were pretty cool, the guys working the legs made up for the creepyness of it all. So it's all good.

Frosty The Lucky.

17 hours ago, Scott NC said:

Maybe we could collaberate on a project,

Yeah, that does sound like fun. You took apart a seed drill? Thats got me thinking about one I bought for 150 bucks several years ago thats been sitting ever since. 

On 2/5/2024 at 12:43 PM, Scott NC said:

some cheesey mechanical moving things, not called kinetic but I cannot remember the name for them

Whirligig... :lol:  pretty much the same thing, I guess.

Yes, I mostly cut it apart, Lary it was an old rusty implement that we built a flower garden around... 

19 hours ago, Frosty said:

It's going to be a challenge to pry you off this one isn't it Scott?

:rolleyes:

On 2/6/2024 at 4:38 AM, Scott NC said:

No, not animatronic.  It's on the tip of my tongue but is stuck there.  Google don't help if you can't ask it the right question... 

Automaton? Plural is automata

(and the response is "nuttin, automata with you?" :lol:)

To think it all started many years ago when a cultivator rolled off the factory floor, and possibly long before that.  Hopefully it is full circle, ends, and doesn't grind on and on and on (like many things), in some way, shape or form, here or else where.  Heraclitus was probably right though.  I don't think he slept in a clay jug.

Very pretty. 

Being in Rhode Island for a business trip, I stopped by Exeter Scrap Metal to see what interesting goodies they might have put aside in their interesting goodies section. I got a nice RR spike maul head (which I plan to turn into a stake anvil) and a nice little Columbian No. 143 vise for $10 each. 

IMG_8176.thumb.jpeg.bde2a9180a8eb1159e8d11d55dc99567.jpeg

IMG_8175.thumb.jpeg.1e1217df378ef0b36f5f744b079bdc9b.jpeg

IMG_8174.thumb.jpeg.40766077f45f7ebda7327fc9939c8d7f.jpeg

There were also a nice big (~6”) Athol vise for $45 and a Champion No. 400 blower, but both were too heavy for my checked luggage and too big for a carry-on. Ah, well. 

Update: had a nice hypothetical  chat with a TSA agent about what would happen if I showed up with a 40lb. vise in my carry-on backpack. He said that the agent at security would probably refer the question to a supervisor, and that the supervisor would probably disallow the vise as violating the "no tools with an assembled length of more than seven inches" rule. So, now we know.

I've been on hiatus here for a while, but not altogether inactive with the forge. Some truck leaf springs followed me home from a neighbor's house, so I put them to good use as rake tines for my mini excavator.

Rake Tines 1.jpg

Rake Tines 2.jpg

Rake Tines 3.jpg