• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Woolly mammoths were roughly the size of modern African elephants, which eat about 375 lbs (170 kg) of food a day. 

Yesterday’s mail: swag from this year’s Society of Inclusive Blacksmiths fundraiser. 

IMG_8192.thumb.jpeg.cbf5f4b081726c1d6e0513412d994ba8.jpeg

Today’s mail: a pair of tapered arbor adapters (to convert a grinder into a buffer), which Benjamin finds intriguing. 

IMG_8213.thumb.jpeg.c3b2b244044e0001b333604d97642789.jpeg

A lot. 

I went to Flea Market Friday after work this am and got a what looks like brand new collet set,some traps, a hammer and a ladle.  I already have a collet set and got it cheap, so I will pass that on to someone as a bargain for them and wee bit of profit for me.  Friday markets are good, most people are at work.  I never have figured out why they have it then.

c1_20240216_15005481.thumb.jpeg.a22f9c161a1a568da7e02cb15b955e35.jpeg

Sorry, posting at the same time I see.

Got an old W. A. Whitney #2 punch from a guy on FB Marketplace. It has been his late father’s, but unfortunately, he hadn’t gotten the punches and bolsters from the storage shed before selling his dad’s house. Ah, well. Still a good deal for $20. 

IMG_8234.jpeg

On a side note, he showed me a very cool thing. His grandfather had been a coal miner, and the guy still had his miner’s dust mask — still in its box and brand spanking new. 

Roper Whitney is still around and they may still make the punches and dies for that if you reach out.  Not sure where they are located anymore,  they were my first employers after I got out the  Marines. 

Got home from my trip to find that a 3/32” punch and die set has arrived from eBay. 

IMG_8295.thumb.jpeg.387ca0ad535fe6ec5bbaabc1c231c12f.jpeg

(Now I just need to figure out how to remove the broken 3/8” die that's stuck in there now.)

Warming it up the outside of the threaded section with a soft torch flame to just too warm to touch really helps penetrants and the thermal cycling helps break rust "welds."

Then it's "Easy Out" time. Fortunately you can work that from both sides which really helps.

Frosty The Lucky.

I was thinking the punch and lever mech was easier to remove. A left handed EZ Out pushes Rt handed screws. IN the day I twisted wrenches for part f my a living I had sets of left and right EZ outs and a set of left handed drill bits. All for extracting broken screws well, studs mostly.

A long lazy soak in Kroil or 50/50 should be plenty but I have trouble not applying heat when I can. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

The problem with smaller diameter easy outs is the tendency to snap off just like taps and I'm infamous for doing that, especially when working on old muzzleloader's I'm restoring. Usually Debi comes to the rescue with her ability to stay calm and not do any more harm.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

The dies are too hard to chase the hold larger?

Oh yeah EZ outs aren't easy to get to work I, I figured you knew. I have better luck with the square bump it in version but it's easy to turn an EZ out into something hard to drill out blocking the hole too. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Can't work it back and forth without being able to get to the other side. I hate it when that can't happen. <sigh> On the other hand the threads moving means penetrants will work much better, heck 3in1 oil would work a treat.

Frosty The Lucky.

Anyway to weld a nut on it?  Then there is also red heat on the punch body.  Myself, I wouldn't worry about heat treated parts as it is the die that is doing the work and that is scrap now.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who missed the update on “What did you do in the shop today?”, I ended up making an oversized screw extractor and twisting the die out with a pipe wrench:

IMG_8308.thumb.jpeg.c1fb376a453a99a8c28814e07596c061.jpeg

In other news, a visit to a vintage tool shop in southern New Hampshire yielded a quartet of old hammers: two sinking and two chasing. 

IMG_8353.thumb.jpeg.7ae30e4d33a611778287974b7e279a79.jpeg

I paid a bit of “antique premium”, but not excessive. We actually went across the road to their house and up to the spare bedroom on the second floor to dig three of these out of a dresser drawer, and then closed the deal over the kitchen table. Nice folks.