• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The difference in weight most likely flaked off as rust over the years, what was doesn't always mean what is.  That has a direct correlation to my present weight is isn't what it was 50 yrs ago and it hasn't "flaked" any either.

1 hour ago, SmoothBore said:

I knew a girl like that once.

Her "true" weight didn't exactly match that which was printed on her "profile" page.   :P

Good one!!  I still have tears running down my leg from laughing at that one. :lol:

I went to Cleveland a week ago and picked up a welder. This belt grinder happened to find its way into my trailer :lol:

Had to rewire the motor for low voltage, but it runs just fine off my rotary phase converter. I think I'm going to put a speed control VFD on it once I get around to rebuilding it. It also has that unique dual spindle which a number of things could be attached to. It looks to be of well built construction, that's for sure. Came from good 'ol HGR Surplus. You do find good deals there every now and then lol.

I got $180 in it. Some TLC and I think it'll be a keeper :D

The bonus is once I build a proper stand for it, I get a free heavy duty work table, after I patch the belt hole:P

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OH you lucky dog! I think I hate you. <sniff>

My 35 year old Delta belt grinder died recently, I miss the old girl and she didn't hold a candle to that one. . . . Yeah, I do I hate you. Belt grinder envy is a terrible thing.

Frosty The Lucky.

My favorite spots are the ones that do recycled building materials.  My "haul" the other day was: (2) craftsman 16 gallon wet/dry vacs with standard "blow" outlets for $18.  A single basin stainless steel sink (24"x18") (my new forge pot) for $10, a very heavy King sized bed frame for $4.00 (frame for my new forge). and (2) 8 lb splitting maul heads (going to try to reforge into a flatter and a ball peen) for $6.  I resold the "tighteners" off the king frame for $10, to some guy who had lost the pieces for his adjustable frame.  Most folks have these places around, if they know where/how to look.  A king size bed frame is basically $45 bucks worth the angle iron, if you buy it from Home Depot.  I suggest never passing up free or cheap bed frames, they are a great source of mild steel.  And, if you get the type that have thin mild steel boxes to hold the wheels, they make great boxes for canister Damascus.

A lot of the older bed frames are high carbon; my preferred stock for making clean up corner chisels.  The sparks should tell you what you have when you cut it...

I check out the ReStores when I travel as every one has different inventory and different pricing, (Got an interior door for $5 at the one in Greeley Colorado where they wanted $30 for one at the store in Las Cruces New Mexico for instance)

15 hours ago, Frosty said:

OH you lucky dog! I think I hate you. <sniff>

My 35 year old Delta belt grinder died recently, I miss the old girl and she didn't hold a candle to that one. . . . Yeah, I do I hate you. Belt grinder envy is a terrible thing.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hehehe..

Now, I have three belt grinders. I really like this one tho.. The small one I have is in need of an overhaul, and I think I'm going to rework it for a smaller contact wheel. It's somewhat of a cobble job but it's served me faithfully for the last 12+ years since I put it together.

I think thats one of the tough parts about living in AK, machine tools aren't as common to come by as inexpensively as they are down here in the rust belt. HGR often has stuff like this for cheap too. Cleveland is only four hours away, so a day trip there and back is very feasible They're hit and miss, but a lot of the stuff they sell eventually ends up in their "markdown" section and is even dirt cheap in some cases. They give you a thirty day return policy, so besides the trip back, you won't get stuck with it if it's junk. I bought an old Lincoln Idealarc TIG 300/300 down there for $600 pretty much plug and play. I had a Miller Dynasty 350 but decided to sell it so I could make some room this summer to do some forge work and not have to sweat the big bills. The Linc replaced it. Not a bad machine for the money. I've sold quite a few of them. 

Ive talked to some ppl who live up in AK and it seems that used equipment commands a much higher price than it does in the cont 48..

At least in my experience it seems to.

What happened to your grinder? Any chance at all it could be saved? If getting something up there wasn't so darned expensive, I would be happy to help facilitating getting something to you. I sent some stuff to a fella up there from another website, but he had a deal worked out with his former employer where all he had to do was get it to their shipping depot in Washington State, and they would ship it up to AK with the rest of their gear going on the next barge. For like $20 or something ridiculously cheap.

2 minutes ago, 7A749 said:

Cleveland is only four hours away, so a day trip there and back is very feasible

Steve, let me know the next time you're headed to Cleveland, and maybe we can go salvaging together.

Oh I certainly will. I hadn't been down there in quite awhile, but I found that welder then I happened across the belt grinder later on. I keep an eye on their site somewhat regularly.

Are there any good scrap yards down there?

Ever been to the old Edco place in Lima?  I don't know if you can get into the old warehouses of WWII surplus machine shop stuff anymore, the roof was in bad shape when I was there around 15 years ago---I remember the snow drifting down on a 5' pile of broaches 

Oh, that sounds like my kinda place! We have a pretty good yard here. Not quite as much heavy stuff since they tore the old GM plants down, but they still get a nice assortment of materials and every once in awhile some machinery

JHCC, there's only one yard here that officially sells useable scrap. The other one does, but it's not really set up for that and you can only get what's on the ground, you can't climb on the big piles 

I used to buy used stuff at their Columbus store but I heard deep and murky rumours about the "mother load" in Lima.  Lima was famed for Locomotive building at one time and switched to Tanks during the war and after the war Edco bought up a *LOT* of machine shop surplus and back when I was there, a lot of it was still laying around mouldering while they concentrated on newer stuff.  (I would have guessed they finally scrapped it when the prices topped out---but you don't know---I'd call and ask before you made the trip though.)

HGR is having a big sale Thursday. It's on their website. Up to 50% off. It's a good thing I'm about broke. That's the LAST thing I need to do right now is go to an equipment sale..... :D:D 

The surplus place looks like a good hit if you can get in and check it out. We had a drop forge close here and after sitting derelict for several years they opened the doors and sold everything inside. It was like the workers just dropped their tools and walked away. There was some good stuff there. The guy running the sale was a dirtbag tho so I didn't end up buying much. I did get my 6" Coloumbian vise out of there tho.