• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

An unusual one: the historic Art Deco movie theater around the corner from work is having some repairs done on the facade, and the workers gave me a chunk (about 1/2” x 6” x 16”) of the original Vitrolite cladding. No idea what to do with it, but you don’t pass up a rare-material-salvage opportunity. 

IMG_6672.thumb.jpeg.5737fb4cc00eb13f2b44d9cf68466755.jpeg

A buffalo forge.

Those are rare here in eu I think.

Was used as a bbq for the last 40 years.

Blower works, spins 1 turn extra. Is all greasy. No idea how to maintain it.

The forge bottom ia a bit wobly and rusty. Thats the only part.

Do I need clay or anything?

Price was cheap, so even i wasn't looking for a forge, it is hard to pass on it.Compress_20230518_160349_9370.thumb.jpg.bf2872fdab5d7d94040a6846995e5e87.jpg

Compress_20230518_160349_9584.thumb.jpg.000fe0d1c2783d23a1f6e59ae9ccd2b4.jpg

Compress_20230518_160349_9802.thumb.jpg.89be5566610b6015f86a2dbb0b709d38.jpg

These are indeed very rare, in the Netherlands I've seen 2 champion blowers in 2 years, no buffalo's so far. Very nice catch!!

I've been wanting for a hand crank blower for a while now...

~Jobtiel

No need to clay it since it appears to be a steel fire pan.  Claying is to protect the more brittle cast iron pans.

You may need to open up the gear box and spray or pour it some sort of solvent if it appears to be gummed up with old grease.  If it is clean inside just lubricate and put it to use.

I'd say coal is the preferred fuel but charcoal could work with a small bit of modification.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

No need for clay but I would put dirt or refractory in to raise the level to make a ducks nest fire pot or use bricks around the fire grate so the fire would be deeper and not take so much coal to make a deep fire. You can see the mark on the wall of the pan how far it was filled in the past.

For the blower it takes oil not grease and not too much as they are notorious for leaking oil. All in all a very good find. Here is an example of a ducks nest fire pot. I made mine from fire clay because that is what I had on hand.

100_2068.thumb.JPG.9df274960a8086ef373581daa5d7b2fc.JPG

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails. ~ Semper Paratus

18 hours ago, gewoon ik said:

greasenipple

Someone has added that Zerk grease fitting, not knowing the blower is designed to run in oil. It should be a flip or pull open oil port so the operator can squirt a little oil in. The grease will not get into the bearings and stay on the teeth of the gears causing premature wear. The oil system is called a splash oil system where just the teeth of the lowest gear runs in the oil and distributes oil to the other gears and bearings. I like to use 80 wt gear oil or chainsaw bar oil with a little STP mixed in. There a lot of threads about that blower in the Solid Fuel Forges Bellows/Blowers section. Here is just one it shows the oil port that should be on it.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/69998-new-buffalo-project/

You might want to start a thread there so it will get more responses.  https://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/64-solid-fuel-forges/

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails. ~ Semper Paratus

This came in a small lof mini swages I bought at auction yesterday, trying to figure out why it's hollow in the center. It has a hardy shank of it so it's meant for the anvil, just trying to figure out why it would be hollow, any ideas? Measures about 3.5"*3.5" 

IMG_20230521_175106367.jpg

IMG_20230521_175116481.jpg

60degree swages can be used to make hex bar/heads. In that application, the work never reaches the bottom of the swage, but you don’t want the scale to build up. The slots would allow the scale to fall through. (Just a guess…)

Keep it fun,

David

George, 60degree between alternating sides. I was initially confused by this also. Works great for forge welding bundles also (cable damascus and ends of basket weaves).

Keep it fun,

David

Finding myself in Rhode Island on a business trip, I stopped in at Exeter Scrap Metal to see what I might see (and that would fit in my suitcase). Picked up a nice big clevis pin that was lying on the ground in the anchor chain section; I’m thinking raising stake. 

IMG_6698.thumb.jpeg.286e016c510072cd79d26714bcf846ee.jpeg

There was a LOT of old anchor chain, but I couldn’t find any that was obviously wrought iron. 

I took vacation time from work today to drive across Missouri (4hrs one way, 5hrs with traffic jams) to pick up another Buffalo Silent blower which I'll be trading TwistedWillow for a different already functional blower. 

The guy I was buying the blower from had a huge machine shed piled to the rafters with all sorts of blacksmithing and machining equipment and wares. Needed good balance to navigate the path through. He said he used to do a lot of blacksmithing, mostly gates and fixtures, but hasn't done much lately. As I could see, there wasn't room for any blacksmithing until he offloaded some of his accoutrement, lol

Anyway, he told me to poke around and while I was gawking around, he was showing me the pieces he was most proud of. Some really cool stuff honestly. He had a whole row of just old forge tables, one of them looking like a "newer" model of the Buffalo forges. I mentioned I'm currently restoring a Buffalo 0 forge and asked if he had any forge hoods like they used on those tables up on the top shelf. He went scrounging around and found this! It's gonna look great on the Buffalo 0 forge once it's all up and ready. And now I don't have to fabricate one myself. 

received_801436498382541.jpeg

Shaina, cool score.  Coming across a place like that is like being a kid in the candy store and you can't decide how to spend your sweaty dime.  Even if you are forging outside you may want to put a length or two of stove pipe on the forge hood to get the smoke and fumes well above your head.  Also, it will draw better.

GNM