I Forge Iron

New buffalo project

TWISTEDWILLOW

I’ve had a lot of buffalo blowers but I’ve never had a 14” Buffalo 200 silent before,

I saw this one for sale on clist a little while back up north of here and forum member Shaniarue was able to pick it up for me!!! 

today Shaniarue an her wife and their very vicious monster bear dog (actually their dog was very well behaved…. Much more so then my obnoxious dogs lol)

all came by the shop for a visit an brought the blower down with them! Thank y’all again!

overall condition of the impeller housing an gear box is excellent with no cracks or welds

still has the brass fill an drain valves, gear box cover, an all the mounting brackets

one leg is rusted off so I’ll need to replace that, 

it’s missing the grease cap so I’ll dig around my junk an see if I got a blower cap that will fit, 

it’s missing the impeller fan so I’ll have to either replace it with one off a parts blower or build a new one,

The top gears look to be in excellent shape but the bottom gear/shaft is frozen solid, so I’m soaking it in kroil now,

overall I don’t think it’s gonna take much to bring this ol dude back to life, can’t wait to get it goin an try it out!

currently I’ve got one of my canadey ottos hooked to the main forge, I just swapped it out with the champion midway spiral I’d been using all year, but I’ll probably put this thing into the rotation when i get it goin, I’ve heard others talk about them so I’m excited to try one out myself!

18B8E78C-09C2-4063-B011-5BE0A4DE4EDB.jpeg

742E6425-EF7E-4402-886D-D12CF03F61F9.jpeg

DECE1416-84F2-4709-A858-C31DB94DB152.jpeg

A9A987F2-7044-4F33-9D6A-CF1CC74BBC92.jpeg

BDA79025-7D88-44E5-9AC2-D33B92DDE810.jpeg

DF877720-E548-49B7-A71D-4D9FFF104379.jpeg

9AB83C9E-A4BC-4637-8274-A3E5DDD3ADD2.jpeg

9AF86E5A-BF43-4BF6-9CC4-79CC8D53CFEA.jpeg

F5D84357-ECBF-478B-97E4-7B6046EC172E.jpeg

9BEC8989-90A1-4B02-82A7-44A4E054F748.jpeg

Looks like a beast for sure. Making a fan is not hard, I made one for a Champion Lancaster blower out of a bushing with set screw, I had that fit the shaft, welded the arms made from 1/8 X 1/2 in strapping to it then made the blades from sheet metal pop riveted to the arms. I was lucky that I had another Champion that I could copy the shapes of the blades & arms though.

Thanks Randy,

One of her local guild members has the same blower and he was super awesome enough to take the time to take pictures an complete measurements of the impeller fan shaft size an thread count on pitch for the set screw,

so I’ve got everything I need to make a replica, but your right I would be cool to have another exact one here to just copy an compare,

Kroil worked good, bottom shaft is busted loose,

everything is turning freely now,

i have to adjust the shafts, it stops turning immediately after you let go

Looks like the previous owner didn’t have a spanner wrench an used a punch on the adjuster plugs the little holes are pretty wallerd out,

found a new grease cap off another shot blower that threaded in nicely

19 hours ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

all came by the shop for a visit an brought the blower down with them! Thank y’all again!

You're very welcome. To be fair, I had some pretty strong incentive ;) Soon as I get everything drug back to the shed, I'll share in the Followed Me Home thread what all I left with. Billy's place is a goldmine y'all! 

Glad to see it's coming along reasonably well so far. I'm looking forward to seeing it up and running. 

Not all mines are underground and if you had rose gold piled THAT deep you'd need more dogs, taller fences and gun towers. But what would you do without electric landscaping machinery to repair?

You must've thought it was nice enough to salvage, why shouldn't other folks see the value? Storing it in your yard sort of makes "salvage yard" hard not to think of. No? 

Think of it as saving history and feel like a hero. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Bahaha:lol:

imma run that by my wife next time she asks me why on earth I’m heading out to buy more junk outta a some ol barn!

I’ll strike a heroic pose an say don’t worry honey I’m saving history one piece at a time! 

Then jump in the pickup a yell “high ho Chevy away!!!!” As I ride off down the road! 

If I had rose gold piled that deep I’d just pay someone else to work on the battery powered junk!

<Sigh>, what AM I going to do with you my Peavinian friend? You are NOT heading out to buy more "JUNK"! You are on a time critical mission to save at risk historical artefacts. 

Not bad, maybe reword it slightly to Hi HO Chevy Lets GO!" Too bad you aren't driving an old Ford, you could wave the Ford "Lance" trim out the window as you shouted your valiant, Salvage Whoop.

There is an old Robin Williams movie where his character carried a Ford pickup "lance" for a sword. I'm sure it has a proper name for the emblem I don't know.

Frosty The Lucky.

Oklahoma Billy has a ring to it. say it out loud with your last name a couple times and see how it sounds.

What trademark tool, weapon, gizmo will Oklahoma Billy carry? Bull whip's been taken.

Ooh, ooh, you could drive a 400hp turbo charged balanced and blue printed nitrous injected 8 cylinder Kohler powered hot rod riding mower. HI HO TORO away!

Frosty The Lucky.

A satchel of course! Leather, tooled / plain?  Heavy brown duck canvas, plain or with tooled leather strap, buckles, etc., maybe some bead work, . . . ?

I think we're getting an Oklahoma Billy image going here.

Frosty The Lucky.

That makes sense.

I spent a lot of time in the bush, camping canoeing for fun and later as part of the job and I always kept my day bag within reach or on my back in the canoe. I kept everything I'd need to survive a few days in it. Later the guys on the drill crew called it "Jerry's bag of tricks." Ala, "Felix's magic bag of tricks." Later when I transferred to road maintenance and guys who weren't used to my bag I shocked and amazed a bunch of them. After ONE winter guys started carrying fanny packs or day bags loaded with similar tricks.

Some things are obvious for a field guy, at least 3 ways to make fire, toilet paper, space blankets, etc. But part of my fire kit was a small container of 3 in 1 oil, it has a million uses not the least of which is as a good accelerant for starting a fire. The little container of Ronsonol lighter fluid didn't take much guessing but I carried it more to catch sparks off the strike a light and thawing locks. A couple drops burning on a key inserted in a frozen lock is all it takes to break it loose. 

I haven't carried a full emergency GOTH bag (for when things Go To Heck) in years unless we're traveling. Possibles bag fits the bill but I like "Frosty's bag of tricks" myself. It certainly was no model for looks, old frayed, broken zippers and decades of dirt. Now I'm missing that old bag, so many good memories. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, your bag of tricks sounds a lot like Martha's purse where she carried things like several multi tools, sewing kit, matches or lighter, tea making stuff, tape measure, magnifier, glasses repair kit, a small 1st aid kit, and a fair number of other things.  Her purse was legendary at our church.  If someone needed some tool it was assumed she would have it in her purse.  Basically, it was your bag of tricks adapted for a more urban environment.

GNM

Martha sounds like my kind of gal. I'll bet it wouldn't take many camping trips for her to convert to a less urban environment.

One time I was in line at the airport and realized I hadn't taken my .22 mag revolver out of my bag! :o Happily one of the other guys on the crew hadn't checked his baggage and I was able to slip it in his suitcase. I NEVER forgot to do an eyeball bag check again, that was too close for comfort. Spending the holidays in jail just isn't that desirable.

When canoeing I kept some critical stuff in a plastic welding rod tube sealed with duct tape.

Frosty The Lucky.

Congrat's one of my favorite blowers..  That is the newer style cast iron housings..  They have the single angular contact bearing with cast iron bushing and a simple pinned ball for the end play on the fan shaft..   

Be careful getting that pinion gear out of there.. They are fully hardened and easy to damage..  If they are rusted they still run quite but if the teeth are missing it's a no go. 

Sounds like you guys had a great visit..   

Once I get more mobile I'm going to visit some of my favorites..   :) 

I have photos of one taken apart if youd like to see them.