I Forge Iron

It followed me home

What Thomas said. If you've got space to store them*, I would jump all over that offer. Good size stock, the square nuts could come in very handy, you can use the head ends of the bolts for rivets, and those discs could come in handy for lots of interesting uses (e.g.,bobèches on a chandelier).

* And even if you don't!

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Randy, I have never checked one for hardness but I weld them onto the stock I am working all the time. Judging by how easy they weld and bend they are mild steel. That being said, I agree with the others - very handy to have around the shop. 

The bar stock cutter will handle up to 3/8" round.  I also snagged about 100 or more carbide burrs in both 1/8" and 1/4' shaft diameters, a tiny rosebud heating tip for jewelers oxy/acet torch, a small antique machinists chest, about 50 pounds of various size split roll pins (mostly stainless) and all kinds of other odd stuff.

I forgot to mention this file - a Swiss made piece specifically for draw filing.  In all my years of browsing tool catalogs I had never seen one before.

100_0193.JPG

Haha good idea Thomas. 

Delivery from Coal Iron Works today. 3/4 Flutagon/A33. This stuff just sounds way too good to be true. Forge, quench in water and well…that’s it apparently. Can’t wait to try it out. I feel like at the price point I was able to get this for and the amazing properties it’s supposed to have, everyone would make all of their tools out of this stuff - if they were buying new material I mean. Obviously making tools from good hardenable scrap is another story but that’s why I say it sounds too good to be true. Anyone have experience/suggestions for this stuff? My heat treat app doesn’t even list it. 

6C3049B7-211D-4C09-83B7-C32ADEF995E7.jpeg

Tailgating today at the PABA local gang's meeting, one of the oldtimers was starting to clear out his shop. I went home with some  ( as he called it) 'aught wrought pure iron' in 1/4 x 3/4" and 1" sq. Also got a nice piece of brass sheet 14 ga. A buddy who went with me scored a nice complete 4" Columbian post vise.

Steve

Thomas, being a skeptic I suggest that you check the amber to make sure that it is not copal.  Copal will get tacky if acetone is placed on it, amber will not.  Also, I believe that Chiapas amber tends to be darker than copal.

If you have a rock tumbler you might want to run the rough stuff through it since it is a lot easier to detect critters, etc. in polished nuggets than rough.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

George; not my first rodeo! This is quite dark and I was planning to test it anyway, (Alcohol or Acetone; whichever is on the shelf in the shop...)  I'm more likely to polish a "window" into a piece and "candle" them with my grandkids. We'll do the UV test on them too. As rough as it is; it may not have been thoroughly examined. Chunks are pretty large too, the Arkenstone is about as big as my wife's fist.

As the stuff I traded was scrapyard finds I'm probably ahead even if "fake"!  (Definitely ahead in the "clean out the shop" way.)