• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not normally not much of a touchy feely person but I feel that when I put old tools back to the work they were designed for they are somehow "happy" and work better than a new tool.  It always makes me a bit sad to see a perfectly good tool used as "decor" rather than doing what it was designed to do.  And furniture pieces made out of tools such as a chair made from parts of spinning wheels or a planter from a treadle sewing machine seems macabre, like being made out of human bones.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

42 minutes ago, Stash said:

I needed something with which to ring in the new year, so I let this follow me home. Thanks again, Todd (Torin) and thanks for your help loading. Looks like my 250# Fisher is going into retirement.

Steve

D79D3939-5EAF-480D-947B-1479C8E86416.jpeg

3C4AD216-D413-484F-9079-DC1E401D2075.jpeg

124C7606-F7B5-4B4E-9338-CFBCC569F464.jpeg

Looks very nice in its new home.  Glad it is going to be able to be used again.

1 hour ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

Sweet anvil Stash! I’m jealous!

Torin, you sure you ain’t got another one hiding under a bench anywhere? Lol

I'm keeping my 141 LB one, and that is the only other one I have.  However I have my power hammer listed in the tailgate section.

3 hours ago, George N. M. said:

And furniture pieces made out of tools

Sorry George if my scrap art can seem macabre to you. I assure you I do try to keep nice old tools as atleast decor as a statement to what they once were, but I do use the junk/worn out or no name stuff for art or repurposed whatever. Atleast then for those it serves as as something else useful and retains its original form rather than getting melted down and turned into rebar.  The awe of people pointing out the old tools or gears and parts in the artwork is fulfilling that they notice and it means something to them in one way or another.

I mean that in a nice way not in a bad way. Just saying.  

Happy new year!

I can see both y’all’s points!

Daswulf I really enjoy seeing your scrap art! You do awesome work and in a way give something someone else discarded a new life! And it’s not like your making a bench out of good usable anvils 

George, one thing I get really irritated when people chop up perfectly good crosscut saws to make knives…

(sorry to all of y’all that have done and currently do that lol)

but it’s not like there isn’t a million other things a knife can be made from lol

JHCC, that’s a pretty cool chair I agree

I am not bothered by something made out of things that are otherwise unusable for their original purpose.  It is when a perfectly good forge is converted to a planter or a functional spinning wheel is cut up to make a chair that bothers me.  Giving something a new life that would otherwise go to scrap or firewood is good.  Converting a perfectly good tool to a purely decorative use is not.

Also, the relative scarcity of an object factors in.  There are LOTS of junk cars but few forges, anvils, spinning wheels, crosscut saws, etc..

How well it is done is a factor too.  Das is really good at what he does with scrap but there is a LOT of bad scrap "art" around too.  I have never seen a comfortable chair made of spinning wheels.

TW, the only time I have used a crosscut blade to make a knife the saw was already cut in half when I got it.

I agree, taking a useful tool or object and messing it up to make something sub par is sad. Why I have a bunch of old things I "could" make into something else but couldn't dare.  I understand scarcity too. If I had an antique something or other I'd rather sell it to someone else that would appreciate it as is than ruin it for art. 

Glad you didn't take offense and appreciate  the compliment George. Ive seen the butchering or otherwise destruction or carelessness of fine old tools and implements.  It is sad. It is Really surprising what people will send offto the dump in the garbage, and the good stuff barely ever gets caught or found before hand. 

Rather than have a commercial garbage service I take our trash to the land fill about every 2-3 weeks.  For household trash it is thrown into a pile in a bay of a large building before being compressed into bales before it is put into the ground.  Theoretically, there is no scavenging but about half the time I see something on the pile that is worth grabbing and throwing into the back of the car.  If we can't use it, I will drop it off at the thrift store.

Metal is dumped in a big dumpster in a different area and I am always afraid to look into it because I am afraid that someone will have thrown out a bunch of anvils and I will either kill myself trying to get them out or get in trouble for trying to bribe the land fill employees to get them out for me. 

I suppose that over the last year I have salvaged enough to come close to making the tip fee ($12/trip) a wash or a slight profit to me or the thrift store.

1 hour ago, George N. M. said:

TW, the only time I have used a crosscut blade to make a knife the saw was already cut in half when I got it.

George

I only said that because I have a collection of two man cross cuts hanging around my shop an I get asked through out the year by customers who want them just to take home an chop up, and it gets on my nerves,

I can understand if it’s to far gone to restore or the teeth are about worn off but not a perfectly good saw, 

Daswulf, I wish you an Nodebt we’re close by, I got a never ending stream of random junk, gears, parts, bars, blades, chain, odds and ends that go in the scrap trailer several tons a year, 

id love to see someone with y’all’s eye for scrap art come take some and make awesome art with it, 

On 12/22/2021 at 5:50 PM, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

Daswulf, my wife bought a tv that connects to the Wi-Fi, and has a bunch of free channels, but we also subscribe to a few, like prime an Disney an Netflix, 

anyways, I think you have a kid the same age as mine, 19-20 months? 

im just wondering if you get subjected to cocomelen and baby shark to? 

I have had that torture as an older sibling with one now 4 and the other 9 i was a fan of bob the builder as a kid Haha 

On 12/24/2021 at 3:00 PM, Nodebt said:

Speaking of trains and Christmas, I'm sending everybody on IFI a boxcar of seasons greetings and goodwill.  Well, Frosty's is full of blocks of ice, but other than that...  Just kidding!   :)  UPS has nothing on shipping compared to rail......

20211209_121005_HDR_compress27.jpg

LOL still waiting for it to get here is there a new anvil in for me??? maybe a power hammerB)

M.J.Lampert

Thanks TW. Id surely love to be close to a source like that And have more time to make stuff from it. 

I do have a friend that goes out on local trash nights and picks scrap and other goods from the garbage. He appreciates my work and saves me good bits and bobs from what he scraps. 

He has also brought me toys, bikes and sleds for my kids. The stuff he shows me that he finds that people throw out is astonishing. 

George, you may be conservative with what you throw out to the landfill but I'd say "most" others are not. Many don't care. I watch a few scrappers on yt that pick garbage day as well and make out because people aren't concerned about a few extra bucks on the scrap. Or even find antiques cause the po just saw it as junk. Imagine the kinds of things that could be in landfills. 

After my uncle killed himself his wife was throwing stuff to the curb. They were living in my grand parents old home. Because my grandfather was snooping he dug out our ancestors civil war diary and picture. Imagine that just going to a landfill. 

Sad really. 

Ive poked around dumpster diving and found all kinds of scrap and reselables.  The city mission dumpster surprises me with what they throw out. Someone would buy that stuff for the right price. It is like they just don't care to try. It is a shame what has been broken just tossing it into a dumpster. 

10 minutes ago, M.J.Lampert said:

I have had that torture as an older sibling with one now 4 and the other 9 i was a fan of bob the builder as a kid Haha 

Lambert, I’d like to tell you it gets better but it won’t… 

Roommate, spouse, child ect.. someone will always wanna watch something else lol,

personally I don’t watch much tv maybe an hour or so a a day,  but it would be nice to watch something I want too once in awhile lol 

I think billy bones made a comment about he still doesn’t get a choice and he’s a grandpa!

on another note when I was little I liked to watch G.I Joe and scooby doo but that was 30 some odd years ago lol, 

John- back in the day, Wharton Esherick bought a barrel of hammer handles at an auction. At the same time, he was doing work for Hedgerow Theater, outside of Media, PA., building sets and stuff. They asked him for some cheap seating and there was born the chairs like the one you posted. Many years later, in the late 70's, I spent time at the theater, doing photography, lighting and set building. I ended living at the Hedgerow House up hill from the theater, where the full time actors and techies lived. In my bedroom were 2 of the chairs, one with the original flat belt woven web seat, and I wove a rope seat on the other frame I had. When I moved out, 'tradition' said I could take a chair with me, but I felt it belonged  where it started. At that point there were about 7 chairs remaining on the property. They are now selling over $10k. I have no regrets. The Esherick museum is very near where I live and it is almost like a religious pilgrimage to go there regularly. Thanks for the photo you posted. Brought back some good memories.

Steve

That sounds about right. Side note to my story- at the same time  I was involved at the theater, I started seeing a cute girl who also lived there, doing acting, front- of- house duties ( ticket sales etc) and commissary ( feeding hungry actors and techies). Fast forward to now, we've been married 39 years and have 2 kids and 3 grandkids. Life is good.

Steve

Steve