• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Delivery front Iron Dungeon Forge yesterday. Kaowool, kastolite 30 and fire bricks. These fire bricks seem way more substantial than the cheap ones I got with my forge but still a really great price. They’re like 3 times heavier. Hope they work well. Have to use one as the new forge floor and then I plan on welding some brackets to my forge so I can turn a couple of these bricks into sliding doors on both side of the forge. Probably going to try to finish up the forge welds on the Christmas gift basket twists before I use all of this. 
And then the best part…some H13! 3/4” x 12”. Probably going to make a couple chisels or a drift but not sure yet. Air hardening steel…how do you temper it if it hardens in air? Rhetorical question - metallurgy is just some crazy stuff though. This will be my first time working a known tool steel…should be fun. 

701FC6FA-0765-4B6B-8B3A-2C7DD4088259.jpeg

B4FF36BF-8932-4978-BAC4-A6E8B9F0DA98.jpeg

Shook hands on my highest-price commission to date and promptly invested a good chunk of the deposit in a new 40 lb. propane tank for the oxypropane torch. 

3230901F-5B9A-40F5-99A7-5F1CACF99DBB.jpeg

Also got a pair of drill press clamps through a local Facebook Marketplace listing. They’re only the Harbor Freight store brand, but at about a quarter of the list price, it was just too good a deal to pass up. 

63495E9F-D690-4D6C-A45F-83BDB570A084.jpeg

I have wanted a Rosebud tip for my old Craftsman torch set which I found out was made by Harris. Unfortunately all of the local welding suppliers wanted an amount for them that this frugal blacksmith refused to pay. So I finally found a new one for less than half the price and it came with a new mixer & welding tip. I was willing to spend the money for a good deal like that. Mail call today.

For anyone who have old Crafftsman tools & equipment, I found this site that has a cross reference from Sears numbers to which company produced it for them.

Craftsman OEM List | VintageMachinery.org

100_2220-2.jpg

You're welcome. The first three numbers of the Sears number are what shows the manufacture. Seeing as I have a lot of Sears products it's helped a lot. When I tried to get a replacement motor start capacitor for my old Frigidaire air conditioner the current Sears parts site was absolutely no help, all they said was the unit is obsolete. Found out who made it and had the part the same day from my local HVAC guy.

Be careful using that with acetylene.  They need lots of fuel gas and can suck the acetone out of a bottle of acetylene.  I bought a Y fitting for the oxygen and added a 20lb propane bottle with a regular fuel gas regulator so the rosebud is oxy/propane and the cutting torch oxy/acetylene.  It works well.

A few weeks ago the travel trailer followed me home. Since my little Ranger wouldn’t pull it, and my dad was a little reluctant to let me keep borrowing his, I had to get a different truck. 

It took a bit, but I finally found a fairly low mileage 2013 F-150 with a V-8 which wasn’t a 4x4. I was pretty shocked at the price of used F-150s. A lot in Pauls Valley wanted $38k to $42k for 2018 models with 80k miles. This one has 77k miles. They wanted $25k, but settled on $19,750 after factoring in the trade in of my 96’ Ranger. 

I was a little put off by the blue, but it is growing on me. My Ranger would do 80 — downhill with a strong tailwind with the pedal to the floor. Getting up to a safe highway speed on I-35 was difficult. On I-35, even 70 is too slow. The blue truck will do 80 and still have plenty in reserve. 

Speed kills, but not on I-35. 

8FB61B9B-87D4-4380-8D26-83684AA72BEB.jpeg

42254F04-2C1C-40D4-9FF5-69EC80BF7D84.jpeg

I just received the hammer back from Brent Bailey’s demo at our conference. I bought it at the Iron in the Hat auction at the end of the conference. When it got up to my final bid of $170, I told the guys I was leaving with the hammer no matter how stupid high it got, so they should just stop bidding. 

I think he sells this same exact hammer on his website for $75, but I wasn’t buying it to use. I wish I could have seen him straighten the eye. He said he uses die grinders to fix crooked eyes. With the handle, it weighs 2.562 lbs. 

The handle is oval shaped, which I do not like, but it is fat enough I can relieve the sides and it should still be Ok. He said he had some bois d’arc for a handle, but this is either ash or hickory. I may remove it and install a handle of my own. Just not sure. 

0142B214-9C17-459E-A083-1F40F8C3D979.jpeg

09FFA5DF-3A34-442F-8245-0299DAF710CE.jpeg

C488090C-970B-4421-8827-1E3C32FEA0A4.jpeg

8A1D4246-DCF9-49CE-9672-76EE0439B0D8.jpeg

Went to the UMBA conference at Centaur Forge yesterday.  It always gets expensive when I go there.  Bought a couple shovels to make handles for in the auction, bid on a book of decorative iron work that was actually then given to me. Funny story on that.  The books had gotten there all signed to Chad, so I bid on it just for fun.  I lost at the auction but when I gave my name for the shovels, two items later,  everyone had a good laugh.  The winner of the book just gave it to me, which was really nice and I appreciated it greatly. 

I had a few tongs, files and farriers rasps,  mill gloves, and a block brush follow me home from the shop.   

Mail call: a Victor cutting torch tip from Cyberweld. Last March, I’d accidentally ordered a model that doesn’t fit my torch (1-GPN series instead of 3-GPN). The folks at their customer service department were happy to take it back and give me the right one for no charge, even though the price had gone up in the mean time. I do love good service. 

5B0A6087-F94F-49BC-BD8B-038FFE408926.jpeg

JHCC, The fuel gas regulator that I am using was just an extra acetylene unit I had.  It has been working fine for over 30 years, probably close to 40 years.  I also use an acetylene regulator for my propane gas forge.  There may be an error in reading the pressures due to difference in gas density but that is not really an issue at the flame.  When I put my rosebud Y fitting parts together, the local Jackson welding sales guy told me that is what to do and not spend the money for another regulator.

The problem is that propane eats the seals in acetylene regulators over time *unless* the regulator is marked "for all fuel gasses" in which case the seals are good for both propane and acetylene.

I picked up a Fisher regulator at the scrapyard Saturday.  It had propane fittings on it and was rated for 250 psi on the intake; but I will have to research it to see if it's rated for propane (paper label is gone), and if it was any good.  Cost less than a US dollar so worth the risk just for the fittings!   Rest of the load were some sprockets and drive chain as I'm getting a hankering for a tumbler!  I think the scale was reading light as I got out of there for US$1.40, almost a record low for me!

Dharris; will we be seeing that at Quad-State next year? 

On 10/23/2021 at 2:30 PM, DHarris said:

Where can I get one of these? Or something which would serve the same purpose? It appears to have broken off mine at some point. 

BF25AA40-DEA2-48DD-B1A6-7C347A1FA308.jpeg

92A006D2-44B5-4664-B560-722074F24864.png

That appears to be a radiator drain from a Model A Ford.  If you want one just like it, Mikes A Fordable, or Snyders, will have one.  Otherwise any old petcock of same size will do.  Looks to be either 1/8" pipe, or 1/4" pipe.  My guess would be 1/8" pipe thread.