• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

made a couple trips to the dump today and the guy next to me was tossing an 3 hp single phase pump. he said it turned on but it just buzzed. i noticed the start capacitor still attached and asked if he'd tried replacing it, he said he didnt care to bother messing with it and i could take it if i wanted. also returned with a couple other little picks. the springs are on pretty tiny not sure what to use em for. scribes? center punches? the bust snap on swivel wrench might be fun tho. anyone know what kinda steel it might be? 

also had a replacement start cap im gonna give a try tomorrow morning, its the one im holding

motor3.jpg

motor2.jpg

motor.jpg

18 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

After my Father died, my Mother started going through his stuff and giving it away to people who would appreciate it. I still think of him when I use a tool that used to be his.

It is an exhilaration to use Your Forebears Gear.

I'm trying to get the grandkids tooled up; the twins in Arkansas got a drawknife and froe from me;  my 4 grandsons in Okinawa will have to wait till they make it back to the states and then: Hammers, wrenches, sockets!

Wrenches are generally a medium carbon steel as you want toughness not brittleness.

I drove home from work today in my old chevy... kept seeing something flapping in the rear window!

Got given eight or so 4x10ft sheets of old semi rusty galvanized sheets around .020? thick. Going to use them to line the floor and bottom of the walls in the shed to semi fireproof plywood floors. Just looking to cut down on sparks getting into nooks and burning down the shed.

At least then I won't have to forge outside in the winter!

Got this little guy delivered yesterday. No more finding whatever I can to make a bend or scroll and it's even got a hardy hole. It should supplement my vertical rail anvil nicely. Time to build a stand that it will be easy to remove it from. I think I'm going to to use eye bolts, chain, and nuts &bolts to fasten it to a stump or lumber stand. Whichever I can find first will be what I choose.

IMG_20200429_142532.thumb.jpg.6f4e08a9c9dd8f9e04c4d2ccd0e65728.jpg

Pnut

I'm sure it will work fine as a pillow!    (My wife says that I can sleep with my anvils; they just can't sleep with *us*!)   I have several london pattern anvils and I still look for appropriate pieces of steel for bending stock against.

My travel anvil stands have heavy duty folding handles on the sides and the top have two semicircle pieces of wood    |)  (|   fastened to them that my anvils drop in between.  I have to quiet them; but set up and removal is easy! 

pnut, that's a handy little anvil and the horn looks a lot more cone shaped then mine! for mounting i simply made a 6mm thick washer and lag bolted it down through the holes in the base. seems to be holding up fine although i should have used some lead or caulk to dampen the noise a bit.

Good scores!

I'm waiting to see some improved squish John, should be SWEET! 

Nice anvil pnut, good size for a portable. There are a number of options for a quick stand, a steel tripod is easy to mount and quiets the anvil surprisingly well but the stand is easy for bad guys to steal. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

Picked up the supplies to wire the 50A-230V outlet. Just waiting for the SO cord!

C89515D3-9A26-49FB-B53A-09D01C230ED7.jpeg

On 4/30/2020 at 12:25 PM, Frosty said:

I'm waiting to see some improved squish John, should be SWEET! 

I’m looking forward to it too, but I have to keep reminding myself that because the motor and the pump will still be running at the same speed, the dies won’t be moving together any faster. Just with more power. 

On 4/26/2020 at 1:33 AM, PWS said:

19 photos,  warning photo heavy.

This is probably the most impressive post I've seen here. You are doing a terrific job of restoring as well. What is your work method? I'm guessing wire brush and oil? Looks great. Cheers.

wow those antique tools had me drooling, so prettty. if diamonds are a girls best friend then restored hand tools are a mans. (bad joke }

JHCC nice motor, mind posting the label? looks like same mount type as the 3 1/3 hp i just scored, y48? those mounting feet are a bit flimsy they're warp on you after a while, will you' have to do a custom jobby for your presscious probably anyhow?

i ended up getting that 3.3hp motor running btw,it was the start cap as suspected. the new one i usedis a a few microferads under spec bust its just enough to get her purrin.. so much quieter then the treadmill perm magnet motors i have lordamercy. took the pump assemb. off.  It has  a 3  1/2 in half inch shaft with 3/8th-16 pich threaded end. tried a couple 6inch bench grinder wheels on it and man.  so much smoother then my 1/3 horse grinder.  i may have to get an adapter to extend and reinforce the shaft for 8 inch abravise wheels/buffers/wire wheels.

my second thought would be to build simple lathe with pillow blocks and step sheaves, etc etc. or i could build another belt grinder

It was an option John was thinking of if getting 230v close enough was too involved or expensive. 

We all need to get out of the house, I'd LOVE to have someone else cook me bacon, eggs over easy and hash browns. Mmmmmm. dreaming the dream. :wub:

Then again the frost is about out of the ground and I can walk around without gaining mud weight. Not quite what I think of as getting out though.

Frosty The Lucky. 

In the end, running a 230v circuit turned out to be less expensive and less of a hassle than expected. I installed the receptacle today, and I’m waiting for the cable to arrive to run from the press to the plug. 

right but as im sure you know current draw depends on load,  but knows maybe his press will need every last bit of that 4.6kw.  its a bummer 3 phase isnt standard here in the states as with larger motors you have so much more control over efficiency with use of a proper vfd. all though ive heard of single phase vfd's i think its generally not recommended even if it says "single phase vfd" on the box.  

then again i never stop learning.

heres a little tinkering i was doing, im i do use it for this application ill do proper housing/cooling. garsh i hate that particular grinding wheel, i like slightly higher grit

On 4/26/2020 at 12:33 AM, PWS said:

19 photos,  warning photo heavy.

IT FOLLOWED ME HOME TOO....This is a very Sad story.

IMG_0104 (2019_07_11 06_09_16 UTC) (2).jpg

PWS, congrats for saving those fine old tools. That bandsaw looks like a mid-to-late 30's Walker-Turner "Driver Line" 12 inch. I rescued a 1935 version W-T several years back (photo attached). Fine old saw, all cast iron, solid as the Rock of Gibraltar and almost as heavy. It's probably the most-often-used tool in my shop.

right.jpg

On 4/26/2020 at 1:43 AM, Marc1 said:

Wow mate ... you must buy Evaporust by the drum! 

Are you finding a way to sell the tools? 

Howdy Marc1,Just saving really-My priority is to keep them out of Landfill...Cheers.

On 5/2/2020 at 9:43 AM, aaamax said:

This is probably the most impressive post I've seen here. You are doing a terrific job of restoring as well. What is your work method? I'm guessing wire brush and oil? Looks great. Cheers.

Thanks aaamax,doing what I can...Linseed oil all wood first (Linseed will stain metal if allowed to dry off)...Wire brush-sump oil and low heat...Cheers.

On 5/3/2020 at 9:21 AM, picker77 said:

PWS, congrats for saving those fine old tools. That bandsaw looks like a mid-to-late 30's Walker-Turner "Driver Line" 12 inch. I rescued a 1935 version W-T several years back (photo attached). Fine old saw, all cast iron, solid as the Rock of Gibraltar and almost as heavy. It's probably the most-often-used tool in my shop.

picker77, pegged mine dead center..But in the queue...but that Pic of yours is like Machine Heaven in the Driveway...Cheers Mate.

FedEx just dropped off a package that I'm 99% sure is the SO cable for the new motor for The Pressciousss. Unfortunately, I'm recovering from a migraine and don't have the energy to go check.