I Forge Iron

It followed me home

18 hours ago, Chris The Curious said:

Sorry, Old Crew, I know Eyore was a donkey in some cartoon, but I have no idea why I might remind you of one.  I also have no idea who Christopher Robin is.  Don't understand the humor.

Eyore is a character in the Winnie the Pooh comic strip. Stuff goes wrong for Eyore but he never loses heart or humor. Eyore is the strongest of the inhabitants of the 100 acre wood. Christopher Robin is the human boy who plays with Pooh and friends in the 100 acre wood. Deb's totem is Tigger. I always identified mostly with Christopher as I've lived in my imaginary realms all my life too. 

Winnie the Pooh | chasingtheturtle

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, okay.  Now I get the connection.  Guess being called Eyore isn't a bad thing, considering.  I think my younger brother was into Winnie the Pooh.  My generation watched Laurel and Hardy, Sky King, The Lone Ranger, Superman, The Three Stooges and The Little Rascals..............we got 90% of our "cartoons" through comic books.

Chris

I think my tombstone welder is at least 20 years older than the old one previously mentioned. Definitely copper wound and came with a LONG extension cord that plugs into an electric stove plug---so I use it when my wife is out of town---run the wire in through the kitchen window and back behind the propane kitchen range.  Need to get the plug moved outside at least...

Sometimes you can find one of the AC/DC ones advertised on CL at the same price as the going rate for AC only ones---but I have never managed to get to them in time.

Of course I paid US$40 for my AC one around 20 years ago.

I'll just keep lookin', Thomas.  It's kind of like my anvil search.............it will come along when it comes along and not before. ;)  But I already see a lot of projects I want for my forge shop that will need welding, so I need to find one and start teaching myself asap.

3 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Eeyore is a character in the Winnie-the-Pooh books by A. A. Milne. He is generally characterized as a pessimistic, gloomy, depressed, anhedonic, old grey stuffed donkey who is a friend of the title character, Winnie-the-Pooh

Well, frankly I liked Frosty's description better! :lol:

Chris

17 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I paid US$40 for my AC one around 20 years ago.

Mine was given to me by a friend, who was closing his body shop in '86. It was at least 20 years old then. Only thing I had to do was change the plug on the 40 foot power cord, to match the one in my garage.

That's cool.  I like giving things to people...........and do it frequently.  That's why I don't mind accepting gifts when people are gracious enough to do the same.  I was in the gym the other day and a guy and I were talking when he mentioned he was looking for a small bench vice for his "closet" workshop.  I gave him a beautiful little jeweler's vice that was my Dad's and he was tickled to death.  "Pay it forward" has always been my motto.  I admire and appreciate people who have the same one.

Chris

My haul from Quad-State:  a T-shirt from Blue Moon Press, a little book of ironwork from the 80s, a tomahawk drift (a factory second with cosmetic defects and therefore substantially discounted), some drops of HN 13, and a nice little Iron City post vise. 

6DC3B927-CDAD-40EE-94BA-757F10DB32AD.jpeg

Not quite as much as I got last year, but my tailgating money is going towards the speeding ticket I got on the way down….

My oldest son brought me some steel from his job.  He works in a business that  does a lot of fab work.  

I know not to mess with the  tool dies, I am going to use them as a poor man's swage for the  moment.  I THINK the quarter by half inch steel he gave me (about fifteen to twenty foot long sticks of it) are tool steel.

But those pins?  I have not a single clue what they are.  Any ideas?

mishmash steel.jpg

Do they weld on the stuff without fancy preheat/post heat?  If so not tool steel.  Most fab work is done with mild or A-36.  The "pins" look like bolts with the threads cut off  and depending on the grade will most likely be low to medium carbon.  Tool steel should clearly spark different from low carbon stuff; either very bursty; or if high alloy very dull and looking more like cast iron sparks.  

It's handy to build a sample set of various known steels you can compare the sparks with to get some idea what the unknown steels might be.

Well that's a gold mine, for sure.  And "free" is the best price, ya know. :lol:  I've used files all my life.  Always used the standard wooden handles so frequently seen on them.  Then sometime back in the late 90's I noticed a golf ball on the tang of a file and now, that's my favorite "hand protector".

The reason I put handles on files is because it felt un-natural to me to have the tang stuck into the palm of my hand!!!!! :D  Hand hurt for two weeks.  A dirty ol' file tang shoved into the hand close to the wrist tends to inflame violently. :(  Ever since then, when working on really hard filing work, I use a handle................and have found the golf balls pad the palm even more.  Guess I'm just an old softy!

Chris

On 9/25/2019 at 8:42 PM, Daswulf said:

An old lincoln tombstone stick welder followed me home today.

I know this has been discussed in length, but I believe I have the same pair of welders as you so I though I would give my input. I have a Hobart 140 along with the same stick welder. I use my MIG for 95% of what I do. The only time I really used the stick is for welding my just rusty equipment back together (6011 rod) or for heavy or structural welds. I wouldn't bother buying any 3/32 rods, as you will be able to MIG what these will do. I would stick with 1/8" unless you plan on welding 1/2"-3/4" material then 5/32" can be easier at times. 6011 is a deep penetrating rod good for dirty or rusty steel, and it not the easiest rod to use. 7018 AC would be ab easy rod to learn to use. I have noticed the Hobart brand rods I have seen at the farm stores have the amperage range printed on the end of the tube which will help you to start. I'm sure there are charts somewhere as well.

Ben Hover

The round rods with the round head are HCA  or Headed Concrete Anchors or are more commonly know by the brand name Nelson Studs. They are welded to a steel plate with the studs pointed down into wet concrete. When the concrete is cured the plate is attached to the concrete and you can weld a column or fence post to them. They are soft steel.

David 

As a Machinest I tended to cut the tangs off of my files and give it a nice round over. I have tried and can not stab myself with it rounded over. Rasp for hot work, I do like for my hand to be away from the heat though, so I tend to handle those.

Thanks Fowllife. It's all helpful info. That's probably what this welder will be for and the rod suggestions help. Good to know about the Hobart rods, since all the local farm stores seem to carry them. 

After this weekend I should have time to go over the welder and try it out. 

15 hours ago, Old Crew said:

The round rods with the round head are HCA  or Headed Concrete Anchors or are more commonly know by the brand name Nelson Studs. 

Thanks David.  Got a couple in vinegar.  I think they're galvanized, but once cleaned up I'll play with them.