• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pile of scrap free for the taking from a neighbor a few blocks away.

some 18" pipe sections, lots of 1/2" square shorts, triangular off cuts, heavy bar and rod.

Also cleaned up an 8# sledge head. when the rust came off the face and peen were nicely hardened and polished up to the limit of the sanding disk I had. Will swap out to a belt grinder to get the nicks out. The sledge came with an electric blower that will be nice to mount on the forge.

Free Scrap1.jpg

Free Scrap2.jpg

Blower.jpg

Clean Sledge.jpg

39 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Michael, Ive been using that same model blower for my bottom blast coal forge for around 4years and it's still going strong. 

Thanks, I appreciate the endorsement. I've got a hand cranked blower but lately I've been working with some 1.25 inch wrought iron and some chunks of bloomery iron and I just can't seem to crank fast enough to keep those big chunks at welding heat.

I won't say I haven't at times wanted just a little more power out of it but if you maintain the fire well and bank the coal it'll heat up the thicker stuff like around 2-3" pretty well.

I use a harbor freight router variable speed switch with mine and it works great (for me). Tho as a disclaimer, I don't know that it would be recommended with that motor. All I'll say is I use it and it works for me. I would look more into it if you would be concerned.

On 7/31/2019 at 2:39 PM, Cannon Cocker said:

I feel like this should follow me home but I'm not sure how difficult it would be to resurface the hard face. It's scrap price so it would only cost me about 30 bucks

Do you have other anvils? Even if you do pick it up and pass it on to a new smith for fifty bucks. It looks like it has a little usable face. I would be happy to come across it for 40 or 50 bucks. It has more real estate than my vertical rail.

Pnut

Shoot I forge on my 1829 William Foster at least once a year so it knows it's still loved.

WilliamFoster1829crop.jpg.1a60f513ef36e7ff9082f1e716479520.jpg

I've wanted to use the last bit of 1829 face for a Fur Trade Era knife and then try to reface it in the traditional way if I could get a crew together.

(Cost me US$15 at a fleamarket in the 1990's in Ohio; I told the dealer that for $15 I'd stick it in my backpack and haul it off and he sid "I'd take $15 just to see that!")

7 hours ago, pnut said:

Do you have other anvils? Even if you do pick it up and pass it on to a new smith for fifty bucks. It looks like it has a little usable face. I would be happy to come across it for 40 or 50 bucks. It has more real estate than my vertical rail.

Pnut

I do have two other anvils and a third one on its way. One is home made it of a big chunk of mild steel. One is a big flat faced one that was designed for straightening and cupping saw Mill blades. The one on its way was my great grandfather's I haven't seen it and don't know what it weighs but it's staying in the family and I get to use it. So long story short I have a friend who only has a HF ASO he's paying me back, then I'll air Arc the old stuff on and weld a new face on it for him. 

1 hour ago, Cannon Cocker said:

So long story short I have a friend who only has a HF ASO he's paying me back, then I'll air Arc the old stuff on and weld a new face on it for him. 

Glad to hear it, and congrats on getting your great grandfather's anvil. A friend is bringing me a HF ASO so I have a hardy hole with a little mass under it. He's planning on dropping it off on his way to another destination. He lives a few hours away and has to go past my house to get to where he's going.

I use to always give my old skateboards and gear to people just starting out or who needed it. There's not enough of this in the world anymore. It makes me feel good to look out for other people. I'm glad you're doing the same. 

Pnut