I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Saw this shiny 33 gallon apple in the metal hopper at work today. I know the oilless compressors are fairly easily fixable for a low cost, so fixable or not its useful. Just plugged it is and it sounds like it needs a new piston and sleeve but still tries to make air. Marked that it was new in 2015 and still has the $350. Price tag on it. 

20190320_201537.thumb.jpg.5af1a86128b12db1c13ce4628e8154a2.jpg

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, it looks like they just aint like they used to be. After opening this guy up, seeing the issues, somw of the parts it needs just aren't listed. Can get the piston and sleeve for $50. But some bearings need changed. Hammer and brass hammer got it working but it's probably not lasting long. So a free big tank it is. 

Glenn, I'm thinking I have a good Gast compressor without a tank. Might be an interesting project to mate the two. I have a good 80gal. Compressor now and a tire tank. Good ideas tho. 

John, or that, or a nice bbq grill if I get disgusted.

Too much good stuff, Gang!

Some may think me a wierdo, or even, perish the thought, a nerd, but I found this cool fossil on the beach today. The storms have exposed quite a bit of Pleistocene strata. I payed the dickens getting it loose with a 3' wrecking bar.

Hard as the hubs of the "Bad Place"

21" x 6" thick, appears to be nearly pure carbon. Behaves like coke under the torch.

Micrograph is monocular 60 x.

20190320_191626.jpg

20190320_193215.jpg

20190320_203142.jpg

Robert, cool find. I'm always poking around rocks or digging in the dirt to see what neat things I can find. When I was a kid there was a strip mine close by and I was always out there sundays finding fossils in shale and hauling back backpack loads. 

Like when I found the junked forklift and had to cut the rod the tines ran on---1.5" dia by hand and then haul the 180# tine across the side of the spoil pile through the woods to where the truck could get to---by myself.  (C clamped a set of wheels to the tine so I could lift and drag it till I had to rest.  I was 20+ years younger back then...)

There was the time I was recovering from an emergency appendectomy and attended an auction where I beat out two friends to buy a 6.5" post vise---and then had to ask them to load it for me...payback was the infernal regions....I've had friends borrow the money from me to buy an item I was next in line for.

I've said this before here: Almost every smith I know; if they ran up to me at Quad State and said "Quick, lend me all the money you have!" I would have no qualms handing them my wallet and telling them to bring it by camp when they were done.  On the other hand: Almost every smith I know; I would NOT turn my back on them if they were holding a flowing hose....

(A variation on my Economic Geology Professor's adage: "Never turn your back on a Roughneck with a Hose!"   One of the most useful things I learned in college!)

You fossil guys ever get near Dayton Oh. Gimme a hollar. We have an old quarry here that has been turned into a park. It is full of fossils from some era or another. (dont ask me i do not know the first things about them.) They are from when oceans covered this area. Mostly things like tube worms and them flowery looking coral thingies. From what i understand a lot are very rare and people come from all over the world to hunt fossils. I found a nautilus shell intact about 3/4" in diamater. The rules of the park are you may not dig with tools, moving rocks and the like is ok, and if you can carry it back to your car you can keep it. There have been some really big finds, but that is when the collage comes in and starts digging.

We also have a but load of archaeological sites and flint deposits.  

3 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I would NOT turn my back on them if they were holding a flowing hose....

How about a bucket of water, you'd trust ME with a bucket of water wouldn't you? :ph34r:

Dayton is a fossil finding hot spot, I just Yahood it. Oakes Quarry? The little fossils pic on the website looks to me to have an orthoceres and a coral fan I sort of recognize. The "Nautilus" you found is probably an ammonite, a progenitor.  Neat, I'll have to put Dayton on the Talk Deb into it RVing list. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Visited my favorite junk shop yesterday and found a little cross peen hammer head that looks to me to be hand forged and definitely a blacksmith shop used hammer.  I also picked up 10 old files with some of them being Nicholson's and other's Heller's and two labeled as Fisher's.  I've never seen the Fisher's before and they had an eagle on them.  Maybe I just never paid that much attention in the past.  I also found a nice 4 x 4 inch block of steel with different square diameter lines machined into it.  It will make a great hardy tool some day when welded to a base.  All for $15.  I don't mind paying $1 each for old files.  The worn out ones can always be made into knives.  I got lucky and found that all of them are in great usable shape.  

Went by the scrap yard and picked up 2 coil springs, one about 5/8" dia, which is destined to become a spring fuller and some fine punches, and one that's around 7/8-1" dia, that will be turned into various other things (punches, maybe a blade or two, etc. 

I also found two brand new lawnmower blades that I may use for blade stock or axe bits. Normally I would avoid mower blades because of all the stress they take hitting rocks, etc, and I know they usually have microfractures, but these two are brand new, still fully covered in black paint with not a scratch on them. Planning on test heat treat over the weekend. 

Das, I did the same with a GAST pump on a small Campbell Hausfeld compressor set up that I got at the dump.  The CH pump and motor were bad but I had the GAST  from a yard sale some years earlier.  It took me a bit to get it mounted and plumbed but it worked great.  I used it for running the plasma torch since the big compressor and the plasma torch share the only 220V outlet in the shop.  It quit pumping air last fall and I am guessing that the pump has failed from the incredibly abrasive nature of the air in my shop.  Somewhere I read that GAST pumps are for use only in areas where the air is dust free and clean so be aware of that.  Fortunately, I have another GAST if I find that it is the pump that has gone bad but hopefully it just a leak in the plumbing.