I Forge Iron

It followed me home

SLAG..  thank You. that is what I was going to do.. ( Heidbrink Minneapolis )

Gazz...  good eye.. it was listed as a torch cart but after looking up the patent number it was given to.. Jay A Heidbrink 10-23-34 ..and described as being made for gas administering tanks .. it was a device by means of which a tank containing gas to be administered to patients could be readily moved into the desired position without liability of the tank falling off the support upon which it is placed …     

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JT,

You are welcome.

Check out if the gas tank cart may be a valuable antique.

There are museums that feature medical devices and instruments.

Google it or check same at a nearby medical school.

SLAG.

They may want the instrument.

Made some purchases today. Gentleman was a horse roper who had a barn full of interesting items and liked to buy and sell odd items. I took the advise from the forum and explained that I am a starter blacksmith and what I was in the market for. He took me to the reaches of the barn and showed me this beauty,

20181202_170951.thumb.jpg.05efa059347258500557b9869d992467.jpg

20181202_170947.thumb.jpg.259096401ac9a36550f603e7a1995a5f.jpg

Motion was smooth, rust and dirt on surface, said he bought it from an old boy and was asking what he got it for. $85. Noted when I got it home the Iron City star. Reasearch led me to understand a Philly made item? Would love any information you well read gentleman could bestow. 

Also found this strange beauty looking through his shelves:

20181202_170937.thumb.jpg.c3f9e5b717c1e266121de5ea9c374858.jpg20181202_170941.thumb.jpg.12310f4d0d4d21f51658d78ca2c8704d.jpg

Looks to be a bench grinder/ sharpener. The shape gave me pause. Its built up in the middle. Not sure, maybe a scythe sickle sharpener? Thought for $35 not a bad purchase. 

So made a good contact, exchanged information and he was interested in the younger generation pursuing an "old-school" profession. 

Okay I was thinking about the only typical blade a wheel like that makes sense for. Say harvester knives with a single bevel on the same side of each edge of each blade(finger, tine?). Is that what you're describing John? Close?

If so I'm glad I just deleted my first couple sentences. If not I might bring them back.

Frosty The Lucky.

Finally got to start digging around in a couple of the buildings on an old farm down the road. Came across a nice 6" vice on a bench in the corner. And grabbed a wheelbarrow full of scrap. Couldnt pass up the old jack either, something about it being gear driven really stuck out. I'll come up with a use for it one day.....

20181204_105502.jpg

20181204_154657.jpg

20181204_154712.jpg

Well, this didn't follow me home - it's been there all the time. A lightning strike blew up our bore pump so this pressure tank became redundant when a new set up was fitted. I could make it into a scrap art pig.

However, I am wondering if it could be used to make a tumbler for small forged pieces. Has anyone made a tumbler, and could this work?  Should be easy enough to set up with a slow motor, geared down. Any advice would be welcome.

Collie for size comparison.

DSC_9845.JPG

No photos, but the drop bin at my steel supplier had a couple of 15" chunks of 1½" square tube (perfect for hardy stems on tooling for the portable hole) and some nice lengths of 3/8" round bar. Ironically, I paid for them with cash I got for taking scrap to their sister firm down the road; maybe I could get them to give me a better scrap rate if I agree to get paid in vouchers I can only use at the steel yard?

I have changed many a bladder in a pressure and surge vessel tank and they all have one thing in common. They are all quite a bit smaller than the tank to allow the water to stretch the bladder from the inside and compressed air (typically a couple of psi below the water pump pressure) to compress it from the outside giving a reservoir of usable water pressure and stopping the pumps banging on and off every time a tap is opened.There won't be close to enough rubber to line the entire tank. 

On a side note I'm changing the bladder on a 1000 gallon (UK gallon) tank in the next couple of weeks, it's going to be a right pain in the bum. 

Did very well at the industrial surplus place’s the Saturday sale: almost 200 lbs. of steel (most of which I suspect of being 4140 or similar) for $16, a nearly-new deadman switch for $21, a brand new footswitch guard for $2.50, three wire brushes ditto, and thirty pairs of respirator filters (rated for dust, welding fumes, and nuisance acid vapor) for ten bucks. 

C95A8FA6-8AE4-4343-AF67-0BEBBC5B5E39.jpeg

That is some haul  mate. Those old wrenches would make great twisting bars with a bit welded on. And that augur bit in the plastic is worth more than you paid for the whole lot.

I hear Melbourne is having a bit of a heat wave at present. Well that garage sale bonanza should ease the pain!

20 hours ago, JHCC said:

almost 200 lbs. of steel (most of which I suspect of being 4140 or similar) for $16

Cut off a chunk to test for hardenability. The spark pattern was consistent with 4140 (at least to my uneducated eye), and it did harden in a water quench. 

I looked up what three pieces of 2.5” dia. x 42” long 4140 would run new, and am now really convinced I got a good deal.