Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Elemental metal creations,

What is that squat vice for? Looks like holding pipe or rod maybe? I saw on of those today but wasn't sure if I should get it or not.

But I did bring home an anvil and post vice. Can anyone ID the anvil? It has a hardened plate on top, a "C" stamped on one side and a "M" stamped on the other side.

20181104_130055.jpg

20181104_130113.jpg

20181104_130155.jpg

My wife agreed to a late supper last night so I could run out for this load. 11 tongs, 40 odd swages, both top and bottom, hammers, hardies, fullers,punches and other stuff- about 160 pieces in all, for $200. Couldn't get the money out of my pocket fast enough. Sorted thru in the daylight, set out what I wanted, and loaded 4 heavy crates to take tailgating. Supper was broiled salmon, with a nice Pinot griggio.

Steve

IMG_2552.JPG

IMG_2554.JPG

IMG_2555.JPG

IMG_2556.JPG

IMG_2557.JPG

Brought home this anvil earlier today. It's a 185# Wilkonson Queens Dudely anvil that is missing its heel (185# now, so must have been a bit more before it lost its heel). Are they considered fairly decent anvils? I got it for 125$, so I think I got a pretty good deal regardless. Also, if anyone knows approximately when it was made, I'd love to know. Here are a few photos:

001.thumb.JPG.f23e75cc4e9b9eff21d7a2a857182bfd.JPG003.thumb.JPG.2bc6f922b74a64cec90310577450726a.JPG

I'm looking forward to cleaning up the face with some hot steel and a hammer.:)

Answered an ad for a $20 hydraulic cylinder with hoses and got to looking at the fellows other stuff.  He is liquidating and heading to South America.  Already sold a Hay. Bunden 400#  and 25 ton little giant a couple months back.  He had just collected these items over the years.  However he did stuff like Das and Aus  " old stuff art" ?  Alot of put together figures and creations all over the place.  I eyed the swage block and vice laying against the side of a building.  Looked as if had been there since he had aquired them.  Im known to be tight as the bark on a hickory tree but I didn't haggle to much this time. He has some equipment to unload soon and I am hoping he will call me as indicated. Also has a solid steel spool. Approx. 4' tall x 3' wide.  I dropped 120 for the three items.  Don't let the hole in the middle fool you.  It is cut out of solid steel.  Must weigh at lest 250# if it weighs an ounce. Was all me and another strapping fellow could do to lift it up four foot on to the truck . 

IMG_20181105_180356483.jpg

IMG_20181105_180540364.jpg

"Got me self a new toe nail clipper!" :D

At the packing house I worked a few years ago, the guys from the maintenance department called me and told me to take this guillotine before the arrival of the scrap metal people. Before they hang up the phone, I was already there!

wvY4omE.jpg

The ruler is 60 cm. It was made in Israel by a local manufacturer and has nice features even to cut 90 degrees corners in plate. It weighs above 100 kg.

gvEYgZu.jpg

A die with different sets to cut different materials like angle iron T iron, square and round stock.

hcHFWit.jpg

fGLRqiZ.jpg

It cuts plate up to 10 mm thick. What I do not understand is what is the symbol for the 12 mm ... probably you guys can help me on that.

Thanks

The second photo from the bottom looks like a die to cut a square notch out of a bar or plate in order to bend it 90°. The dotted line of the piece next to the 10 mm suggests to me that that workpiece is meant to be bent, so I'm going to guess that you shouldn't thus notch stock more than 10 mm thick. Therefore, the 12 mm capacity is the maximum thickness of flat bar to be cut, just as the 18 mm is the maximum capacity for round and square.

If you carefully scrape off that dribble of red paint, you might be able to read the label a bit more clearly. Take a tip from a former art restorer, though, and don't try to flake it all off at once: it may well carry away the surface of the label with it. Instead, carefully scrape down from the top surface with a sharp blade (like a hobbyist's X-ACTO knife) until the paint is thin enough to read through.

A friend of mine had to have a pacemaker put in and could no longer use his MIG welder and offered it to us for a reasonable price. It's like new and he threw in the cart he built, bottle of gas, 50 foot extension cord and about 20 pounds of tools (clamps, magnets, etc.). We couldn't pass up a deal like that.

100_2001.thumb.JPG.e1a17285a8ef13685654cc3344502b59.JPG

Yep... When I was in high school in metal shop class (late 50s), a welding supply co. was delivering some tall oxygen bottles. While unloading them one fell over and the valve hit the sidewalk shearing it off. That tank took off like a rocket, crossing the parking lot and punching a hole in the wall of the building across from us. No one admitted to taking the screw on valve cover off though. It made a lasting impression on all of us.

10 hours ago, caotropheus said:

"Got me self a new toe nail clipper!" :D

You AUGHT to be grinning! A manual iron worker SWEET. The 90* shear is called a "notcher" and is indeed intended to cut relief to bend 90s. I don't know what the 12 mm function is on the tag. There should be a patent # on the model serial # plate, a quick search should tell you more than you ever wanted to know. 

One of those babies would look wonderful on my bench, heck I'd build it a bench of it's own.

-------------------------

IDF&G: Hobart, nice welders, I've had a 120 Handler for probably 35 years and it's a real workhorse. What's the output and duty cycle? 75/25 is a good shielding gas for steel. You'll need argon for SS steel or aluminum. Did a puller gun come with? If not you'll need one to run al wire, the stuff tends to bird's nest in the liner at the drop of a hat. The puller gun has the drive wheels in the handle and pulls wire best of all one works with any type wire.

Looks like a good for acquisitions.

Frosty The Lucky.

So, I managed to get this Duff vertical mill for $100. It's barely used and in great working condition.  The only downside is that it uses D5 collets and I only have one of those in 1/2 inch size. I'm wondering if anybody here has a line on where I can get some of those at an affordable price.  I'd also love it if anyone has a manual for it. I can give you the model number if you need it but almost any Duff manual would be great.  Right now I'm thinking about making do with an ER 20 adapter and at some point having the spindle milled out to fit in R8 collet.

20181104_172352.jpg

Having the spindle modified to accept R8's ,may cost more than a set of the correct collets. MSC use to carry oddball sizes. Then start with eBay, Practical Machinist dot com, or other machinery forums. There are a few Facebook pages for machining now. You can also buy a lathe and make your own ;)

Hardinge will make them, but at $481 per collet. For a full set, it'd be cheaper to buy a used  bridgeport. Sadly, I've been all over and most forums and groups generally concede that the collets are nearly impossible to find. I was hoping to get lucky here. I do plan to buy a lathe at some point, but I also would like to use some tools that don't fit a collet but use an R8 taper. My local machine shop  will do the work for about  2 hours worth of shop time $150-200 dollars. I'm going to hold off a bit before I go that route, just in case. Thanks for all the feedback so far  guys, and for any to come.

caotropheus, the way I read that label from top to bottom is:

bending concrete reinforcing rod (rebar) 10mm,

shearing flat strip 12mm thick,

shearing round bar 18mm

shearing square bar 18mm

shearing T and angle shapes 50 x 50 x 5mm

45 degree notching T and angle shapes 40 x 40 x 5mm