I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Das

Better wish for two lifts...one for the jeep and one for the trany.  The floor jack doesn't count as a trany lift btw. :)

Das

Better wish for two lifts...one for the jeep and one for the trany.  BTW floor jacks don't count as trany lifts. :)

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thought I had that covered on the floor jack. Made a home made trans. jack mount that fits in the jack mount hole. One problem, the jeep is jacked up too high for it to reach co now I just grabbed a 2x4 out of the rafters to cut as spacers. the mount I made lets me strap the transmission and gives equal space on the bottom of the transmission. Did them before with the balancing act on a regular jack base, never again.

image.jpg

image.jpg

LOL! Don't worry, I try to make sure I bleed on every job, I guess..... Gatta do it right......Right? haha

My patience has come a long way.  So have my ways of blinking rust out of my eyes, figuring out that spare bolts is bad, organizing bolts, learning that gravity and heavy things unsecured hurts, tiny parts can drive you insane, proper tool for the job....., how to go through the steps of easiest to hardest for troublesome fasteners.......and  a lot more..... I usually learn through pain or insanity, It works :) And, Thanks to the internet, sometimes people that do know a thing or two post how to's, and if you know better you can use that to get an idea of whats involved. Conditions may vary!

BigBun, sand and gravel is very rough to work on. Let alone all the lost dropped bolts and nuts. a large section"s" of cardboard helps a good bit in those situations, both on you and not losing things as easily. It's not easy sharing forge space with a vehicle but the alternative is worse. 

I I like the boat bookshelf idea. 

Hey Das, nice job on the trans adapter. I've changed many clutches and trans by myself always a pain laying under a truck.. I f I lived near I'd give ya a hand. Few years back had to pull the 4L80e out of my one ton chevy by myself never anyone around when ya need a hand. Pulled the transfer case first then only had to deal with 250 lbs of transmission. Of course out in the gravel drive where it died. Layed a 3/4 inch sheet of plywood on the ground. Putting it back after repairing it was worse though the transmission was so big it wouldn't stay put on the transmission jack. I made some guide pins for the bell housing and used wedges to level the transmission on the jack. Definatly drank a few beers when that job was done.

Biggun, your bookshelf idea works well, around here a lot of folks make shelves from old boats and sell them for pretty good money.

Some transmissions just don't want to sit on a jack how you need them and they are never fun. It's always a wrestling match. And every one but one that I have done was done on the ground. This one "seems" like it might not be too bad. I think the exhaust might be the hard part. I'm just taking it slow and steady  

So true Reeltree. Must be an age thing. I used to have a fanatic interest in mechanic when I was a teen and up to may be 30 or so. Then it become dull and boring very quickly. Today I can't be bothered not even to change the oil and filter and take car or boat for service every time. 

Yep ,,when was a young buck had to work on stuff out of necessity, lack of funds for new stuff,, someone else's problem was my opportunity.  Now I try to keep my equipment upgraded to manageable working conditions, but there will always be the unforeseen.  I usually do all the work but have wised up and now and take tires to a shop, just worth it to me now.

BIGGUNDOCTOR. that's a good idea.. I too was thinking the same thing for this one.. I have property on a island and I'm looking at a log cabin with cathedral ceilings ..  I was thinking of doing just that.. either standing it on the transom like in the photo or hanging it on its side on a wall.. its a flat bottom boat...   I have several other nautical items including a life sized hand carved sea captain from the late 1800s or early 1900s holding a real harpoon in one hand and has a parrot standing on his shoulder.. also looking into a 1930s of 40s motor for the boat.. JT  

I scored another load of new hammer bits. Stopped in at my local industrial surplus place and found these babies.

48" long, 3/4" shafts new old stock. I got them pretty cheap. My spring time stock of new chisels and punches!

Probably summer, fall and winter for the next two years...... Stop in and get some JHCC!

IMG_20180315_1308211.jpg

On 3/13/2018 at 3:23 PM, Daswulf said:

arge section"s" of cardboard helps a good bit in those situations, both on you and not losing things as easily.

Use a sheet of plywood. The wood will support the jack and make it much easier to roll the tranny under the car. I been working on trannies for about 15 years, 30 years "professional" mechanic. Which leads me too this. Recently we replaced two of or lifts at work. We took out the old in ground  and replaced with above ground electric. I scored these today. They are the arms that would go under the car to raise them off the ground. A total of 8 of them. Here is 2, they are all the same. (the things on to the drum) I would guess at least 75# each. I still need a decent "anvil" and i am thinking one turned on its side would work well, what to do with the others, listen to the old lady gripe about them laying about.

20180210_104825.jpg