I Forge Iron

It followed me home

You know Thomas, the Grandkids might be why that wrench was there. You know, left it on the bumper when they were done with it, etc.

Good save Das, rescues never forget. Could be a Ragdoll, blue eyes or not, then again he just might be a cat.

Millhand, I do believe that IS his happy face.

Shop cats are good things, good for you both.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

was given a quantity of 51CrV4 at the weekend, it is 16.5mm diameter ( just over 5/8" ) and im wondering what to use it for or if to sell it to those who can use it

http://www.steelnumber.com/en/steel_composition_eu.php?name_id=198

it contains 0.9 to 1.2% chrome and 0.1 to 0.25 vanadium as well as other things so am going to find out more about it before using it

On 7/24/2017 at 9:40 PM, Frosty said:

Good save Das, rescues never forget. Could be a Ragdoll, blue eyes or not, then again he just might be a cat.

Millhand, I do believe that IS his happy face.

Shop cats are good things, good for you both.

He is very comfortable in the house. Seems like he has been on his own for a while. I'm working to get his weight back to normal since he is very thin. He is still getting used to the other cats as well but other then a few little spats he isn't being aggressive to them. He is deffinately a cat :) 

Riding my bike over to the mechanic to pick up my van, I spotted a piece of 3/8" round lying in the gutter, about 2 feet long.

Never would have seen it if I had been driving, but tossing it in the back would have been less awkward then carrying it on the bike.

9 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Riding my bike over to the mechanic to pick up my van, I spotted a piece of 3/8" round lying in the gutter, about 2 feet long.

Never would have seen it if I had been driving, but tossing it in the back would have been less awkward then carrying it on the bike.

Hahaaa the things we do.!...

can I borrow that round im 2 feet short on this project.  The wine rack is eating up my stash at a record pace!! 

9 hours ago, the iron dwarf said:

was given a quantity of 51CrV4 at the weekend, it is 16.5mm diameter ( just over 5/8" ) and im wondering what to use it for or if to sell it to those who can use it

http://www.steelnumber.com/en/steel_composition_eu.php?name_id=198

it contains 0.9 to 1.2% chrome and 0.1 to 0.25 vanadium as well as other things so am going to find out more about it before using it

Hi David,

It's a nice hunting knife material - has good edge retention and easy to forge and heat treat. It would be much easier of course if it would be flat stock. 

It's a spring steel (the most used along with 56Si7 around here) so you could use it for punches and such sort of tools, too. 

Bests:

Gergely

Couple of years ago I lost the tailgate of my small trailer on the the the Pilchuck river bridge near where I live. i spotted what looked like an iron plate in the water. Last week I convinced my son to wade in since the water is low. There were 2 plates, 1" thick and about 20"x14" with hand hold cut outs . Maybe 120# or so. It took both of us with much difficulty to pull it  up with a rope 20' from the water up to the bridge. I'll get the other some time, he wouldn't go back down for the other one (water too cold, iron too heavy),  it's not going anywhere. I plan to make tools, swages and such.

In the "It didn't follow me home" department, my son and I were in an antique/junk shop earlier today when I spotted an old 4-in-1 farrier's rasp and asked how much in was. On hearing the reply, my autistic-son-without-a-filter came right back with "Ten bucks? That's OUTRAGEOUS!" It was embarrassing as all get-out, but I can't say he was wrong.

Mr. Hammer Person,

Your son was absolutely right! And the larcenous vendor deserved the forward, & spirited response.

Send him my regards,

and good wishes to You, Him, & the rest of the Famillia.

SLAG.

Found them on cragslist. Guy wanted $50.00 ea. I was just going to get one. He said make me a offer on the second one.

I told him 60 for two. He said his wife wanted them gone. So two still in date for $60.00.

He tossed in the third one that needs recertified.

So all three for $60.00. Yes there are empty.

Now to find somewhere close to get one filled.

Thanks for looking.

Mel

20170730_153223.jpg

this 1880s Diebold solid manganese square cannonball safe was at one of our closed up plants in a very small town.. our company is getting ready to have the plant torn down and said there is nothing out there but junk.. I asked if I could look through it before it was torn down and was granted permission.. once in the old office I immediately spotted this old boy and couldn't believe it !! I told my boss I wanted it and would buy it... after a few months he told me they are getting close to tearing it down and if I wanted it just go get it !!! I went out just to measure it to see if it would fit through the doors... and ended up getting this 2000 lb. safe it in my 1/2 ton pickup and it followed me home !! the guy in the photo is a friend that helped me move it .. my co-workers tell me I only like stuff that's heavy !! JT 

0615161602_HDR[1].jpg

0615161602a_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_0364.JPG

IMG_0365.JPG

IMG_0366.JPG

IMG_0367.JPG

8 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Just like dogs, cats all have their own distinct personality. Perhaps he found me but more so he was busted up and hungry and asking for a safe place to heal and live.  

Thanks for taking him in and not booting him to the curb like so many people would these days. 

That safe is a piece of art.  However, it would lead to my divorce if I dragged it home..

I just visited some family in Maine and was able to take a personal trip to Portland visit Bob at Ball and Chain Forge.  He handles the fabrication of the tooling for New England Blacksmiths and I had an eye on a mandrel because the bick on my anvil is broken off at the tip.  But really, I just wanted to have this as a versatile tooling option.  $65 was worth it.IMG_0545.thumb.JPG.6b77dd212e84b056771ee582a2d12fd2.JPG

4 hours ago, Thief_Of_Navarre said:

That

luckily there was a business across the street that had a fork truck and truck scale, ( where I got the weight from )  they set it in my truck.. I took it back to work and lifted it back out with our fork truck .. then loaded it on a borrowed low deck trailer, took it home and carefully rolled it off !!

10 hours ago, Lou L said:

That safe is a piece of art.

thanks Lou ! it couldn't cause that much damage it was FREE !! lol I could only find one other just like it on the internet and it was in a banks basement. here's a photo of it... very good deal on your mandrel !! what are the measurements on it ?? JT

dt.common.streams.StreamServer[1].jpg

Went digging around on the farm for wrought and found some small pieces. Also on the opposite side of this tread a post vice and hay budden went to a new home from my stash. Made a little room and put some cash in the press fund. 

Also After testing all those pieces in pretty good at just spark testing wrought iron now. 

15017230242891658038365.jpg

On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:43 PM, Daswulf said:

The other night I was coming down from the shop and this guy was crying to me from the end of my driveway and coming closer.(He followed me home.) He was friendly enough to let me pick him up and once set by food he ate like he hadn't eaten in a while. He is neutered and friendly and house broken, but has suffered rear paw injuries ( That have healed poorly and on his one rear foot limps on the tops of his toes as his foot is curled in. I think he may have been hit by a car.) and is very thin. I am trying to locate his family but so far nothing. I am trying to find his family but he is welcome here if no family is found and he has already made this his home as he has explored around and is comfortable here. I named him Grey. :) 

Das, I know you like cats so I thought you would like this picture. This serious-looking fellow is really one of a kind. He would have to be an Australian cat with a map like that on his nose!

australian cat.jpg