Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Kevin_Olson said:

How are going to use the crude.  Second. What. It just runs out of a hill into a ditch. Where does it go from there. Im thinking tha EPA would be all over that. 

There are oil seeps all over Cal quite a few drip right onto a beach. Heck there are oil seeps all over oil country everywhere. Humans have been collecting it for use since I don't know when. We've been water proofing things like boats with it since we moved up from lashed logs. Greek fire used naptha in the flame thrower mixes, yes the Greeks were refining crude into various fuels and probably solvents.

About the EPA. They still make a deal about finding crude oil buried in beach deposits from the Exxon Valdez spill. What they don't mention is they're digging into layers that are hundreds and thousands of years old. The fish haven't come back because they're over fished.

Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, Stephen Jones said:

whats " the usual snippy note from the TSA"?

TSA= Transportation Security Administration here in the States. They're the guys in uniforms at all our airports who are supposed to make sure you don't bring a bomb or a butter knife on an airliner. IIRC, JHCC likes to go hunting RR scrap when he's on vacation, after which he chucks all his goodies in his checked luggage for the trip home (saves on shipping costs :)). When the luggage goes through security at the airport, all that steel makes quite the impression on the xray machines, so the TSA guys have to go looking through his luggage and leave him a note when they find nothing(except for 20+ pounds of scrap steel). Heck, forget the xray machines, think of what the metal detectors would do if that was in a carry on!

13 hours ago, Frosty said:

There are oil seeps all over Cal quite a few drip right onto a beach. Heck there are oil seeps all over oil country everywhere. Humans have been collecting it for use since I don't know when. We've been water proofing things like boats with it since we moved up from lashed logs. Greek fire used naptha in the flame thrower mixes, yes the Greeks were refining crude into various fuels and probably solvents.

The chunks of tar that occasionally floated to the surface of the Dead Sea were being traded to Egypt thousands of years BC.

47 minutes ago, Andrew Martin said:

TSA= Transportation Security Administration here in the States. They're the guys in uniforms at all our airports who are supposed to make sure you don't bring a bomb or a butter knife on an airliner. IIRC, JHCC likes to go hunting RR scrap when he's on vacation, after which he chucks all his goodies in his checked luggage for the trip home (saves on shipping costs :)). When the luggage goes through security at the airport, all that steel makes quite the impression on the xray machines, so the TSA guys have to go looking through his luggage and leave him a note when they find nothing(except for 20+ pounds of scrap steel). Heck, forget the xray machines, think of what the metal detectors would do if that was in a carry on!

It's actually while I'm on business trips, not vacation; otherwise, correct. Plus, I travel so much for work that I don't pay for checking a bag (up to 50 lbs). 

A tad difficult to read, the name on the casting is Beaumont and Wood Ltd. Sheffield. (presumably England) if anyone has any knowledge of the company please do enlighten us.....neither myself or ID have had any luck searching for info. We know they also made forge blowers and bellows.

could they be for side blast forges? just thinking out loud here, not much of a side blast person, so don't take my word for it.

Littleblacksmith

So this small (350 lbs/160kg) clamping cube followed me home. The challange was only the "how to get it out of the trunk alone?". It's good to have a big pile of rusty junk around, isn't it? (Wasn't talk about the 114lbs travel anvil, though. ;) )

2016 10 targyasztal1.jpg

2016 10 targyasztal2.jpg

2016 10 targyasztal3.jpg

5 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Looks like a table from a radial drill press

I couldn't identify the machine this was a part of. It missed all the business end parts. It reminded me to a weird kind of milling machine. (Or maybe not that weird, I'm just not used to milling machines.) It was a bit like this:

img38.jpg

were at?! that's not to bad of a price!

Littleblacksmith 

"...It reminded me to a weird kind of milling machine. (Or maybe not that weird, I'm just not used to milling machines.) It was a bit like this: ..."

Gergely, it isn't the work table from a shaper is it? sliding head as in your photo but holds a lathe type tool rather than a rotating bit?

13 minutes ago, littleblacksmith said:

were at?! that's not to bad of a price!

Littleblacksmith 

I bought them at "balon" the largest outdoor market in Europe. it iake place here in Turin every Saturday morning.