I Forge Iron

It followed me home

5 hours ago, JHCC said:

Well, I was looking at those serrated edges, and inspiration struck.

I like him JHCC. Some scrap just wants to be something else and have a new life. :) 

BigGunDoctor, Halloween is coming, you could cut jack-o-lantern faces in them and  give them a little spray paint job. 

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well as this is my first post it might already be obvious I'm new to IFI. I've been researching how to get set up forging for a while now and my first real find (or at least I hope it is) followed me home so I figured I'd give a shout out and see if this is actually worth keeping. I plan on having this chunk of metal be my learning anvil (ASO I think it's called?) Metal type is unknown although it's magnetic. weighs about 40lbs according to my bathroom scale. Measures 8" high by 3.5" square. What do you guys think, will this get me started? I was hoping for something bigger, but this was free, how could I say no? I'll be looking at a used railroad turned anvil this weekend that I might be able to get for cheap if this won't work. 

20160810_163644.jpg

That's not an ASO, that's an anvil. As long as it has a decent rebound, put it on a stand and use it in good health. Plenty of good blades are made on just such block anvils. 

An ASO is what we call a cast iron lump that is shaped like an anvil, but isn't good for anything more than a doorstop. 

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Nope, that's an anvil a fine one. If, when you find another anvil that suits what you need this one will make an excellent bench anvil for those fiddly little jobs you need close to your eyes.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the welcome all! I can't wait to get my shop set up! I'll post some pics when I do. Should be in the next month if everything goes smoothly. My wife and I are buying a house and I will finally have a garage (AKA my very own shop) where I can start doing all the things I can't in an apartment. 

large.IMG_20160806_102036.jpg

Outside of a garage I found their scrap pile. I stopped by Friday and ask if I could have some select pieces for use. The fellow said "take what you want."  I had the wife's car so I had to be selective. (grin)

large.IMG_20160814_140311.jpg

First thing I grabbed was a 15 inch fly wheel and a piece of plate steel 13-1/2 x 14 x 1-3/8 which turned out to be 1-1/2 inches thick. I needed a base for a stand I wanted to build and they both were heavy.

large.IMG_20160814_140237.jpg

Then I grabbed the 13 inch and 15-1/2 inch rings (clutch parts) the 7/8 inch drive linkage, the 3-1/2 x 27 x 1/2 inch flatbar, the 9 inch x 14 inch long piece of stainless pipe, 2 pieces of 8 x 10 x 5/8 inch plate, 6 short and 3 long 3/4 inch bolts,  and a 12 ton clevis. To make the clevis work I need a piece of 1-1/4 inch round bar.  The long 3/4 inch bolts have a domed head that I think will work well as a small domed head anvil stake, or drift a hole and make it a small hammer.

large.IMG_20160814_140256.jpg

As long as I was in deep scrap anyway, I stopped at another garage and ask to look into their scrap bin. "Sure, take what you want" so I dug out 2 coil springs, 2 brake drums (with sloped sides), and 3 axles.

That was just two stops on the way home on a Friday. You MUST build a relationship if they are kind enough to give you the good scrap. Now to make some things as a thank you or take them some cookies or donuts.

Make a bottle opened from a nonplated wrench---that goes over big with mechanics!

I was at the fleamarket today and bout two more welding bottle valve caps that I make wind bells from (US$5 for 2) and a set of tempering tongs---someone had welded on some steel cross bars on a nice set of pull offs they parallel just about right for small blades (under 1/4" thick); got them for $6  Turned down a bunch of $5 hammers and a $5 hotcut; did pick up a medium to small old hickory butcher knife for $1; been sharpening it trading heats with my student and I think it;s about ready to prove itself in on the watermelon we bought at the fleamarket as well.

There was two types of cable, about 10 feet of aluminum at 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inch diameter and maybe 200 feet of wire rope that maybe 3/4 or larger in diameter. I could not lift it much less put it in the trunk of the car.  Like I said you have to be selective when gathering resources, and know the limitations of the vehicle and the wife.

When you pull into the drive way with the back seat tied to the roof of the wife's car, she will surely ask (read demand to know) why. Saying that you did not want to get the upholstery dirty from the dirty, greasy wire rope cable, and it was the only way to get the cable into the back seat of her car, is NOT an acceptable answer. 

You have to gather resources when you find them as someone is going to come along as soon as you pull out and grab the  items you wanted.

On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 5:53 AM, starbits said:

8 hours ago, lloe01 said:

Get the cable, too!  Make Damascus with it.  That cable sells for about $10 per foot of 1-inch thick cable.

Is this stuff I found in the scrap any good for Damascus? Most of the cable I find is galvanised and I'm not putting that near the forge. This looks clean enough.

DSC_6094.JPG

DSC_6095.JPG

11 hours ago, Glenn said:

is NOT an acceptable answer

Oh so right!  A number of years ago now I was a competitive shooter in a couple different disciplines, we use to joke we kept a little book on excuses we would use for a bad shot, bad day any reason why we lost or did something unusual.  Not a bad idea to have one for explaining to the wife why something followed you home esp.in her car.  This way you will not use the same excuse too often, plan ahead.  The route to
Dinner passes by the little woman.

18 hours ago, Glenn said:

You MUST build a relationship if they are kind enough to give you the good scrap. Now to make some things as a thank you or take them some cookies or donuts.

Ain't that the truth. I made my mechanic a bottle opener from one of the first pieces he gave me, and now they call me if they have some scrap they think I'd like. That's how I got my last two coil springs and a set of torsion bars.

In reference to the 12 TON clevis needing a pin to make it work.

I built a box thinking bolt or round bar for a clevis pin. Funny how when you have an axle in your hand moving it from point a to point b the brain kicks into gear, axles ARE round bar. Do you cut an axle that size with a hacksaw, hot saw, or hot cut, or just leave it a little long?  LOL

Well, this DIDN'T follow me home: a nice pair of professional-grade pruning shears that I found on the shoulder of I-76 outside Philadelphia. As you can see, they were too big for my suitcase. Rather than get in more trouble with the TSA, I gave them to the maintenance guy in my hotel.

image.jpeg

On 8/10/2016 at 4:56 PM, Elciteeve said:

Well as this is my first post it might already be obvious I'm new to IFI. I've been researching how to get set up forging for a while now and my first real find (or at least I hope it is) followed me home so I figured I'd give a shout out and see if this is actually worth keeping. I plan on having this chunk of metal be my learning anvil (ASO I think it's called?) Metal type is unknown although it's magnetic. weighs about 40lbs according to my bathroom scale. Measures 8" high by 3.5" square. What do you guys think, will this get me started? I was hoping for something bigger, but this was free, how could I say no? I'll be looking at a used railroad turned anvil this weekend that I might be able to get for cheap if this won't work. 

20160810_163644.jpg

That thing is going to bounce all over the place.  Figure out a way to secure it to your stump or whatever.  Mine is 80 pounds, barely missed my foot and gouged a 1/2 inch deep pit in my concrete floor as I was pounding out some metal.  Once you have it secured.  Have fun.  I have a RR track anvil as well and I keep going to the chunk O' steel.  More real estate on top.

We went to visit my parents last week, and what else to do in an other town as go for scrap hunting. On the way back from the scrapyard where was almost no good stuff I found a place of "old wares". I can't find better words to describe it: it's a hoarder's yard where theorethically everything's for sale.

At first he wouldn't let me in but somehow as we talked we got into inner paths. Literary only paths led through the piles of rusting or rotting stuff. A real long time and about a hundred yards later I noticed something under a pile of plows and furrows. There lied an old looking grate, its bars attached with oddly shaped rivets. An other couple hours later I had this 28x28" wrought iron grate on my mother's biciyle, paid the same as I'd found it at a scrapyard. It's made from 20 pieces of 3/4" square bars - here in Hungary it's one of the sure signs of wrought iron, otherwise there is no inch-sized stock anywhere. It's a beauty with the 100 rivets in it.

2016 08 rács gyuláról1.jpg

2016 08 rács gyuláról2.jpg

I really can't figure anything about its age other then it may be pre 20th century based on its material. But the town where it was lying is a medieval one with a still standing fort, so who knows... :) it could be real old ;) 

Anyways I don't want to disassemle it, because I totally fell in love with its proportions and texture, hehe.

Bests

Gergely