• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Frosty, I updated my header. It's a 100 pounder. She might need a little lipstick, but she runs great. I got to use her before buying.

Am I forbidden to quote too? Now I'll see about editing a quote. <sigh>

My sister lives in Boise and Ron Reil lives in the mountains north of you somewhere.

So much for my expertise with mechanical power hammers your's looks a LOT like my 50# LG.

Fingers crossed, Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

Not much joy today: just a drill press stand for a hand drill for a buck. Maybe more later.

I picked up a clamp in hand drill, drill press thingy at a yard sale a few years ago and it's come in really handy more than once. I call it my poor man's Mag drill. A couple C clamps and it drills in most any position.

Frosty The Lucky.

I picked up a clamp in hand drill, drill press thingy at a yard sale a few years ago and it's come in really handy more than once. I call it my poor man's Mag drill. A couple C clamps and it drills in most any position.

Frosty The Lucky.

Good, I can use the big C-clamps I got at last year's sale.

Also got a few ball pein hammers off the 50¢ table, about which the best thing that can be said is that they're reforgeable.

Found this post vise  on Craigslist luckily listed under tools instead of "antiques", the old timer who had it thought it was time to get rid of his spare. He had it listed for $75 and I gave him 80 because neither of us had change. Most every other one I have seen has been an "antique" and been at least double that price. So thanks go to Herb I'll cherish it and put it to good use. 

Picture : http://i.imgur.com/KnpOs49.jpg?1

Edited by Rob.a.K

Thomas

I think it is down to gravitational mass, your first anvil has a set amount of gravitational mass which will attract other small pieces of metal. These small pieces combine and increase the gravitational pull thus attracting larger pieces of metal and so on until there is enough pull to attract another anvil / swage block etc which further increases the pull.

The range of the pull also increases as the mass does, starting with the yard then the neighbour hood and further outwards not only drawing in more metal and tools but in some cases other people.

Chaos Theory refers to phenomena as a "Strange Attractor." Non linear mathematics show that attractors concentrate(?) order from chaos. The trick is getting the right amount of chaos, not enough and the system is too stable/stagnant, too much and order isn't possible. There are no pools of smooth water in a waterfall, white water rapids is a different story on the other hand.

Anyone want to write the formula for predicting blacksmith tool attractors more predictably than the "get one, more will follow," rule of thumb?

Frosty The Lucky.

Anyone want to write the formula for predicting blacksmith tool attractors more predictably than the "get one, more will follow," rule of thumb?

Something like "((O x D x C)-S)/L", where:

O = How many you already Own

D = How badly you Desire a new one

C = How much ready Cash you have on hand

S = Spousal resistance

L = How hard you're Looking

Probably leaving out a couple of important variables, though.

Edited by JHCC

Got home from fishing and found this stuff by my shed. A giant section of I beam, couple leaf springs, looks like some screws off an old lathe bed, a milk crate full of big roller bearings and races, and a 1 inch belt grinder.

image.jpg

You have posted this in the wrong thread…these treasures preceded you home! :)

Alan

Edited by Alan Evans