• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw a CL ad for a partially completed air hammer that the owner had lost interest in.  I traded emails with the owner and concluded that his price was fair but it wasn't practical with me being in the process of moving to a different state.  So I told the seller that and that if he didn't have any other takers I would be interested in it at a substantial discount.  A couple weeks go by and I get an email from the seller cutting the price in half.  I jumped on it.  What I got was the base (23 x 40 1 3/4 plate), the anvil and tower all welded up.  Also included was the tup and guides as well as two chunks of forklift time, enough to make two sets of dies.

IMG_1354.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

You fixed it! It's a relief...

So... Have I already bragged about that they threw an almost complete set of old wagon iron parts at me. For free :lol:! With some extra parts: ie. 8 wheels, but only the flat steel tyres no wooden elements. I have to go through the whole lot and select pieces that can be used for revitalization. I took a small sample piece and it forged so smoothly. It's not WI but a very soft, old MS. 

It's a shame that people let these old wagons and buggies rot for decades. They are pretty common find around here in the scrap yards.

Oopsie no pics, sorry.

But still in enthusiastic mood from being able to see this topic right!

Gergely

So I had a quick trip to visit my wife and get her swamp cooler on our central NM house working last weekend.  Not in my plans or schedule but more of a rescue mission. Anyway to sweeten the trip I stopped off at the Las Cruces Flea Market both on the way up Saturday morning and the way back Sunday morning.  Saturday all I bought were a couple of Mangoes; Sunday I picked up 20 sanding disks for my large angle grinder and a pair of diamond farriers tongs is excellent condition---light in the hand, fairly short reins, convenient jaw opening and only US$5!  Wouldn't even set them back down on the table to get my wallet out...(also picked up enough english muffins at 1/2 price that I can stuff my freezer and have breakfast covered for the next month...)

Same fleamarket just a day apart; or to quote: "Constant Vigilance!"  is needed to find stuff cheap!  (I allot the time it takes to my entertainment budget...)

Who ever did the fix, thank you.

I could not resist this.  It was someone's air hammer project that he lost interest in.  That is a 1 3/4" 24 x 40 base.  It also came with the tup and guide as well as a couple pieces of forklift tine for tooling.  So this will be the start of my tire hammer.  Unfortunately I have to complete our move before doing any work on the project.  Until then, read, read and then read some more.

IMG_1355.JPG

4 items from an old smith's shop.

Two heavy tongs - not sure if they were designed for manual or power hammer use  - 'standard' size Atha tongs shown for size comparison. Most power hammer tongs I've seen have longer thinner handles designed to both give the user more distance from the hammer and dissipate some of the shock of the hammer's blows. The 'loops' on the ends of the one pair of tongs appear as though they once pointed to the side as each of the reigns have be twisted 90 degrees 

IMG_5714.thumb.JPG.fa0b03e0a9366d1bee9f3

IMG_5726.thumb.JPG.ac2ee367ce7433978af56

A neat old Oxweld acetylene gauge with 1917 and 1922 patents. All brass construction and fairly large. A shelf piece.

IMG_5715.thumb.JPG.6253108a95c56e85f1f10

IMG_5717.thumb.JPG.008a33b1ff3a87da14820

Lastly - an interesting hand forged punch holder. Internal seams demonstrate that the 'cone' was fabricated from a piece of flat stock which was forge welding into a cylinder and then forge welded to the base. 

IMG_5722.thumb.JPG.4af8c2690b3c38fa95efb

IMG_5725.thumb.JPG.7377964da8a681211f44f

That is one wicked cool bellows. Are you going to make it work again? I don't know if I'd "restore" it but I don't think putting the leather/canvas/naugahide/etc. on it would damage it's value.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hope to leather the bellows one of these days. It is 28 inches long
which is larger than a hand held fireplace type bellows but quite a bit
smaller than the common American forge bellows. No sure how it was 
operated. There are no nail holes to suggest that it once had handles but
there are three unexplained notches/depressions in the top and the extra
piece of wood on the top. There are also three rubber bumpers on the 
bottom suggesting that it may have been placed on the floor? Foot 
operated? It is made of hardwood and rather heavy. 

Picked up this pair of blacksmith’s shears which struck me as 
having larger than normal jaws compared to the size of the handles.
Seams are visible in the jaws which I assume are the forge weld line
between the tools steel and mild steel.

Neat graphic. The fellow I got them from thought they would look nice
hung outside a shop as a trade sign. 

IMG_5749.JPG

IMG_5750.JPG

I picked up these bottles at a yard sale, not until I arrived home did I notice that one bottle has a sticker  with "Anhydrous Ammonia" on it.

I Have googled it and it don't look good... I was thinking of making a bell of it...

The little one is a C02.. $20 for both. The photos were rotated sideways without my permission

20150531_173849.jpg

20150531_173721.jpg

20150531_173658.jpg

20150531_173839.jpg

Anhydrous ammonia is basically fertilizer

​That's true, ... sort of, ... it's used to "bond" Nitrogen in the soil, so that it's available to root systems.

But a little bottle like the one pictured, was most likely used to charge Ammonia based Refrigeration Systems.

Around this area, some of the older Dairies still use Ammonia Systems, ... although they're very dangerous, ... due to the poisonous nature of the Ammonia Gas.

----------------------------------------------------------

Before and during WWII, ... my Grandfather had an "Ice Plant" in Brunswick, Maryland, ... that used am Ammonia Refrigeration System, ... powered by a Rex Buckeye, diesel, "hit & miss" engine.

( That engine ran the Refrigeration Compressor, ... a DC Generator for lights, ... and furnished Domestic Hot Water to the living quarters adjacent to the Plant.

My Dad can't remember the horsepower of the "Buckeye", ... but claims the flywheels were 7' tall. )

Being quite familiar with Ammonia Refrigeration, ... at a time when many "Tech People" were "away" in the Military, ... He was often called upon to repair Ammonia Systems for Dairies, Breweries and Meat Packers, ... in a 5 State area.

Edited by SmoothBore

When I first stared working in refrigeration it was on a 400 ton ammonia(R717) plant it can be dangers stuff. Its boiling point is -28F at atmospheric its somewhat flammable and can be explosive with the right air mix a small amount may burn, damage the eyes and cause loss of consciousness so be careful !Note that applies to ammonia refrigeration don`t know if Anhydrous is any safer.

Edited by stan

I am going to find the right threaded fitting for the opening run copper tubing some distance away and open the valve, I haven't even opened the valve yet...

the threads look good, there are many farms in the area, including mine. but it is rather small for any type of fertilizing application.

Thank you all for your valuable input, I will proceed with caution.

I found this link:

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?455421-Correct-way-to-purge-clean-Propane-and-Anhydrous-Amonia-tanks-for-welding-cutting&s=848d222ce5d401cf8309f229a6694089

Found this cool ladle at a garage sale today. Looks to be a coated copper pot with a cast brass handle. Question, how do I bend the handle for a better working angle. Hot? cold? I don't want to break it. Maybe it will just hang on the wall cuz its so cool! :-)

IMG_20150606_173523.jpg

IMG_20150606_173541.jpg