• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Darn it, "was" not "way". Spellcheck is no substitute for think check and proofreading.

You have that right John, It's as bad as hitting "Post" instead of "Cancel" or delete like I do oh so often. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

If I've got to suffer, John, I want everyone to suffer right along with me.  :D

Eric, I can completely understand that.  There's something about the old tools that just speaks to the soul in a way that new junk never could.  I feel really sorry for kids today when I think about what their "antiques" will be.

Hi All,

and thank you for your help! There is a quite new vocabulary which I need to learn first to understand all of this but it's just more fun  :)

I will definitely check owwm.org, thanks VaughnT!

Judson Yaggi: thank you for the pictures, those I understand almost completely  :D 

I try to keep the lathe thing slow, I have had so many new fields in my life lately.

Greetings

Gergely

VaughnT

Posted Today, 10:59 AM

... There's something about the old tools that just speaks to the soul in a way that new junk never could.  I feel really sorry for kids today when I think about what their "antiques" will be.

Their antiques will be our antiques... the new junk won't last long enough to become antiques.

2 hammers and a hammer head followed me home from a car boot sale today, dont know what the hammer head is for, it seems to be hardened tool steel.

checking the rack at work today I have some EN8 ( 1040 ) which I guess may be good for heads too,

will cut a few blanks for people  from the 25 and 30mm ( 1" and about 1 3/16" diameter )

post-15516-0-35764000-1397995216_thumb.j

Lunch I was going to pick up a lathe, had a call just before I got there that it was sold. Said I could look around because everything need to go. Here is the junk I got for $20.00 

The hammer head is 13 lbs.( between vise and garage springs) not sure what it was used for. The large plate is aluminum 1/2 think. and the saw is a thumb hole D8 or D-8 have to clean it up.  

post-40075-0-23615700-1398106573_thumb.j

post-40075-0-00466300-1398106583_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

I like to use fancy air hardening tool steel like H13, and S7 for my struck tools so I always use a brass or copper hammer when I hit them.   I use my regular forging hammer on the hot cut hardie:-) but I don't cut through (most of the time;-)

First new load of scrap from work.

Stainless - A286, 17-4, 15-5, 321, and some various hex.

Brass, hex,bar, and parts

Bronze, commercial, and phosphorous

Beryllium, large dia bar

Copper, large dia bar, and parts

Aluminum, larger tubing, and parts

Carbon steel, 12L15, 1117

Several hundred pounds total, and the boss sold it to me for less than scrap rate BooYa!

I also have almost 500# of .375" dia grade 6 Titanium that I still need to bring home.

The scrap parts are to be used for some artistic projects. We make electrical contacts, fiber optic terminations,and aerospace parts. Lots of cool shapes.

The Honda XR 500 is for a friend. $200 at a garage sale this morning.

post-9835-0-72685900-1399183859_thumb.jp

post-9835-0-41879300-1399183889_thumb.jp

post-9835-0-08133200-1399183914_thumb.jp

post-9835-0-10814400-1399183943_thumb.jp

There seems to be a fundamental law of the universe---more basic than Newtonian laws of motion, more widespread than E=MC^2---that when you have two domiciles the tool needed for a project is *ALWAYS* AT THE OTHER PLACE!  You think ahead and bring the tool with you; tack weld it to the side of your anvil chain rabid pitbulls to the anvil stand and hire ex-swat team members to guard it and sure enough when you go out to work on the project it has mysteriously teleported to the other shop!

So I was working on mounting a postvise at church; out back where the animal pens used to be, and of course none of the drill bits down here were the correct size: 5/8", 1/2" and 3/8"; nothing to be done but to stop by the fleamarket after church and find them.  Unfortunately that means walking through the fleamarket dressed much more "upscale" than normal, never a good idea!

The second booth had the needed bits---I whipped out my steel drill gauge and double checked and asked the dealer "how much for the 3 used drill bits"   "$9"!!!! was the reply so I dropped them like they were infectious and told him I'd buy *new* at those prices for used.  (I blame my go-to-meeting clothes and not thinking to ask in Spanglish)

Luckily there were 3 other dealers at that small fleamarket that were all selling their medium sized US made HSS drillbits for US$1 a piece and so for $3 I had my choice and was able to go home and drill 7 holes in a piece of wide flange heavy angle to mount the vise to the steel post at the ex-animal pen before we hold out monthly smithing meeting their next Saturday. (I hope I didn't freak out the neighbors cutting the flange on my front yard with my heavy duty angle grinder...)

Yeah, don't want to dress upscale for swap meets, flea markets, yard and garage saling.

I made a pretty good score today. Deb and I had to drive to Palmer after church some 25 miles give or take so we hit a few yard/garage sales on the way home. I've been looking for a teapot for the shop since last summer and haven't seen ONE and the thrift stores want new prices for the few they have. They still want new $ for those three teapots too. Found a dandy, large, stainless and $1.00, Sean and I can have a cup of Earl Grey for break in the shop now. I'm pretty sure it'll be next winter before we want to light a fire in the barrel stove though.

Frosty The Lucky.

Stainless - A286, 17-4, 15-5, 321, and some various hex.

Beryllium, large dia bar

Several hundred pounds total, and the boss sold it to me for less than scrap rate BooYa!

BIGGUNDOCTOR, I have scrap A286 and 17-4, I am wondering what  you might have in mind for re-purposing these two materials?

My A286 is in the form of ~ Dia. 1.25" x ~ 12" landing gear control pistons. Any cautions regarding the 25% Nickel content? And that stuff is a real challenge to hand work!!

Berylllium?? Outside the confines of a qualified facility, what can one possibly do safely with that? At this point, I must confess that I own a collection of radioisotopes, but beryllium frightens my primitive brain more than those do.

and as for the rest of your Loot, BooYa!, to say the least!

Thomas Powers, I think people would pay good money for an image of you in your 'go-to-meeting' finery, but at least it has a drill guage pocket!

Robert Taylor