I Forge Iron

A New Opener

MaxwellB

On 1/15/2022 at 11:24 AM, MaxwellB said:

He was gushing about it.

I hope he's learned his lesson and won't run with a blade again! 

Really nice letter opener, well done. I appreciate the straight line too, it spurty good one. :ph34r:

Frosty The Lucky.

5 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Curious as to how many people use letter openers today with the drop in letters overall? Even my bills are done paperless now. I wonder if they are headed the way of the buggy whip. BUT, it looks like it could possible double as an oyster shucker. 

Looks great BTW

Thanks! And yes, there is a decline in the letter opener business. This was for an older (than me) guy, who still does a lot of things old school. Still writes checks, still buys stamps, that sort of thing.

Although I will say that I still get some things by mail that I give a toot about. So I use mine maybe 2x a week? And if I don't have it handy, or can't find it, or just can't be buggered, I just tear the side of the envelope off like a heathen.

I have one nice long stirring spoon left for my travel coffee mug as one disappeared. (Having kids will do that). 

Im thinking Ill have to make a new one as a backup as they are about impossible to find and I Have to have my longer thin stirring spoon. A letter opener is just an atrocity. Lol might as well use a butter knife. 

6 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Curious as to how many people use letter openers today with the drop in letters overall? Even my bills are done paperless now.

I still get all my bills in the mail, but rarely get a letter anymore,

ain’t nobody writes anything down no more, we all got the internet to send messages with… 

That being said, if you want a reason to use a letter opener I’ll be happy to mail you a letter! :)

now as to the rest of y’all!!!

With all yer stirring!

What on earth y’all people been doing to your coffee an tea that you need to stir it? 

don’t y’all know your not supposed to ever add anything to coffee or tea!?!

That’s sacrilege! Immoral! And just plain icky! 

Sorry but i gatta have my sugar in my coffee and tea. Honey in tea is an acceptable alternative. Otherwise it's just a bitter form of rain. Can't drink beer all day...  water is acceptable but city water is like drinking from an over crowded swimming pool.

Bitter form of rain? :blink:

Mr Daswulf, I’m afraid that your sadly mistaken on how to make coffee if it looks like or tastes like bitter rain! 

it should look like burnt motor oil an have about the same consistency! And be boiling hot! lol,;)

my wife on waters down the coffee I make with milk an honey 

I’m on rural water here so most of that gets pumped out of creeks around here, so we filter it, 

I’ve met people that drink beer all day even first thing in the morning!

I don’t know how they function!? I’d never get anything done if I tried that, lol, 

My first mug is good dark and thicker. I make mine using a french press so the filter doesn't hold back the goodness.  Works coffee is a sad state tho. Better than their water. I brought in a filter pot at one point and it barely helped. Summer time we keep some cold bottled water. 

My parents have well water and it was good right out of the tap. 

Ive got a few wells on the property,

one is hand drawn I’ve never had the water tested in it, 

one is hooked up and I use it to water the animals and plants but it’s a sulphur well the water is pretty pungent lol,

the third well is supposedly a sweet water well 85 foot deep but I’ve never been able to locate it, 

I have a well outside my garage. From what I remember that I heard, it didn't produce enough for the house. From my tinkering with it it seems to fluctuate with wet and dry weather but I've never noticed it dry. I've also never had a pump hooked up to it. I would love to put a hand pump on it and just use it for the animals and shop use. 

The well that used to service the house also serviced another house (once my great grandparents house) the well was in what was a shop. When my grand parents lost that property (long story) a man built the shop into a house. He would complain there wasn't enough water for both properties so my grandparents put in a cistern. After the grandparents passed and a few years after I moved in the township ran a water line for the newer industrial park down the road they forced every house along the road to tap in so I had to get city water. I've been wanting to tie the roof drainage to the cistern and plumb just that into the laundry and maybe commode water but haven't been up to the task yet. Right now the cistern input to the house is capped off as per their inspection demands. 

JHCC, I didn’t know you was in a band, what kinda music did you play? 

Daswulf, the well I have hooked up I can run wide open for about 200 gallons then I gotta shut it off an wait for the water level to come back up, 

the hand drawn well is right in front of my shop so I check it regularly through out the year and the water stays ruffly around 25’ from the surface, 

Like you, one of these days I’m gonna put a hand pump on it just because lol,