I Forge Iron

What's your latest blade look like? Post em and let us see.

HondoWalker

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/28/2022 at 5:50 PM, Purple Bullet said:

Guillaume - Nice, simple, clean. I like it. Maybe that is what I should try for the hawkbill. My only concern is how to keep it closed in a pocket. If it was for myself it wouldn't be an issue, but given to someone who may not understand about tightening the friction every once in a while it might be an issue.

HI, sorry, haven't seen your answer.

It's a quite common concern. Heard it very often. Without the two brass washers it could be difficult to tighten the axis enough, but like this, it's really easy. If you use a correctly dried wood it shouldn't get loose while carried in the pocket. When i'm not sure about that, I rough the handle out and store it for some weeks in the house the reach the correct water content before finishing the handle.

• 1 month later...

Finally (close to) finished on my cable feather Damascus hawkbill. I decided against all the gadgetry I was considering (wire stripper notches, etc) because I wanted to incorporate some antler that was given me by the recipients father before he died. The antler was found in a stream and was bleached white and brittle. I used some UV resistant epoxy with a dab of black acrylic paint and stabilized the scales under vacuum to pull the epoxy into all the little cracks and crevices. I then used acetone to wipe down the surface. After that cured for 24 hours I was able to drill and shape with no problem. Using my 20/20 hindsight, I should have tried for a hidden tang, since it will be used by an electrician. Instead I'll put a couple of coats of that UV resist epoxy over the entire handle to make it dielectric.

I'm also including the cleaver I made next to source I cut it from. The cleaver handle is cocobolo treated with BLO. The blade was cooking oil edge quenched using an acetylene torch, then old-school tempered to medium straw color. I usually just go to light straw on knives, but this edge (apple-seed contour done slack-belt) might need to go through bone.

WillHawkbill2.jpg

WillHawkbill1.jpg

cleaverSource.jpg

Having grown up around Lafitte's stomping grounds I learned an interesting tidbit that not many know. There is an oak grove near the town where I was born that was called the Thirteen Oaks. It was a place where goods smuggled up Bayou Lafourche were sold to folks who made the trip down from New Orleans. The story is that it was the end of the line for slaves and any that weren't sold were hung from the oaks. I think this was a marketing ploy to get soft-hearted folk to buy slaves they didn't need. I'd heard that manacle chains had been found grown into the wood of some of the trees. Lafitte may have been a privateer, but the modern-day equivalent would be a cartel boss. The only reason he supplied men and arms at the Battle of New Orleans was because he hated the British more than anyone else.

Buzzkill,

3 bar twist pattern weld.  Sweet.  Nice clean billet, fitup, and saber beveling.  I still struggle with the last.  Appears to be a "hunter" style blade (the the pronounced guard).  Does your wife do a lot of hunting?  Also, is it just the photo, or does the spine protrude above the top of the guard?