I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Not a great day for me at the forge. Broke my favorite tongs Saturday and decided tonight I would repurpose a different set I made poorly. Ended up ruining them. Boss ended up too thin and bent the rivet. Tossed them in the scape bin and called it a night. Tomorrow I will start a new set as nothing went right today. Just one of those days. 

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Frosty

Yep. Goats love leaves, shrubs, weeds AND the occasional house plant! Ask me how I know this...:P They are cousins to deer. Funny you should ask about the handles. I had seen yours before and I was going to look it up again. That was great timing. I think I will do what you have done. And ditto on keeping them away from cars. Or anything else you don't want destroyed.  I love them, but they can wreak havoc!

Jasent

Sorry to hear you had a rough day. Mine went that way most of the day. Hope it is better for you tomorrow!

Jasent; as my grandfather says "some days you can't win for losing!"  Those days I find it best to go do something totally different for a while.

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments on the progression of my looks.  Even balder now but a bit thinner.

Handles: I set the handles firm with two wedges, one wood and the other crossways to it steel, then I soak the heads handle up in a small tray of boiled linseed oil for a week or so (one weekend to the next generally). just about 1/4 to 3/8" deep.  When I see the oil wicking over the head  I take a rag and wiped down the head with the oil on it and then wipe the handle as well and place in my hammer rack.  The trick is to replace moisture in the wood with BLO so it doesn't expand when it's humid and contract then it's dry. I had to do 100 handled tools when I moved from damp Ohio to dry NM; that was about 14 years ago and I have only had to rework a couple in that time.

Remember oil soaked rags CAN self ignite, I toss mine in the forge as it doesn't matter if they catch on fire there...

As to goats---there is a reason the term "kids" is applied to the offspring of goats and humans---give a toddler a hammer or a goat access to something/someplace and see what happens!

Speaking of goats...DW and I just got back from 6,400+ miles on the Goldwing, from IA, up thru SD, ND, MT, into Canada, then out to the Pacific.  The Rockies are incred...while staying at Radium Hot Springs in BC, CAN, I came out of my motel room to clean the bugs off the windshield and just behind the motel parking area stood 2 Big Horn sheep.  A local fella said they walked thru town most mornings, on their way to a neighbors back yard...they then head-buttted the apple tree to knock some breakfast down.  Impressive !!

DSCN0259.JPG

18 hours ago, Frosty said:

You don't have goats do you Mark?

Na, I don't got them, but I want them! One of my brothers and me want to get goats, and I want chickens, but parents think they wouldn't last a week with all the coyotes, foxes, bobcats, and everything else that is smart enough to now a good meal! at our old place we had chickens, they were fun. we will occasionally have a chicken, or some sheep wander over from the neighbors. 

Littleblacksmith 

Then the first thing you need is a livestock guardian dog. Great Pyrenees Mountain Dogs are wonderful people dogs, giant marshmallows that are death incarnate to anything that threatens their charges. Maremmas are almost as gentle, Komondors are not so friendly around strangers but are perfect if there is a lot of predation. Komondors have been known to go 1 on 1 with cougar and bear and be the one to walk away. Serious protection and utterly faithful and protective of the family and farm. Once a LGD calls your place home the wolves, coyotes bobcats, cougar, bear, etc. will just go around. No fooling. 

Chickens would just be coyote bait for your LGD. 

Frosty The Lucky.

we got a new dog a few months ago, my mom wants another one, but dad is saying no, that one is enough! I think thats what they said about having kids, but there's three of us. The dog we got is said to be a cattle dog. but she isn't that protective to be a LGD it seems, though we havnt really been in any situations yet to really test that theory out. She really likes chasing rabbits, so she may not get along with chickens, I think she would be fine with goats maybe. She would maybe learn some manners.

Littleblacksmith 

we have had goats and lgds to guard um, but the parasites were so bad at our old place we had trouble keeping them healthy.

1 hour ago, littleblacksmith said:

we got a new dog a few months ago, my mom wants another one, but dad is saying no, that one is enough!

mom want's a dog, dad does not want a dog,  so they'll compromise.... and get a dog. that's how things roll 'round here, anyway. ;)

I finally got a little shop time in today. Made one of them "moo cow" forks as a thank you to my neighbor who gave me a bunch of free posts. After that, I couldn't just make one thing, so I made a letter opener. I'm gonna try soaking in vinegar instead of the usual wire brushing to see if I can get it "real nice and shiny like".B) Stay tuned on how that goes!

IMG_0393.JPG

IMG_0396.JPG

Then the first thing you need is a livestock guardian dog. Great Pyrenees Mountain Dogs are wonderful people dogs, giant marshmallows that are death incarnate to anything that threatens their charges.

Our big dog was named Dolittle, a Pyrenees Komondor cross. Gentle as a lamb except when he was on duty. He wouldn't let any critters two or four legged any where near the place day or night unless we told him they are OK and he never lost a fight. Sure miss him still.

He could stand flat footed and lean inside most cars open windows.

29qmlom.jpg