I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Looks good Grumpster, darned good. You'll  be happier if you take some sand paper to your anvil, the rust not only adds texture but it makes the work not want to move so easily. The stock has to slide sideways between the hammer and anvil faces. 

No grinding, just sand the rust texture off, you'll be surprised how much more easily the work moves and how much less work it is cleaning it up.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 26.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is from last weekend, forged a couple hammers. These hammers I didn't have a striker for, but that morning I put together a blacksmiths guillotine, and so I just used that for it. Let me tell ya, those hammers take alot when your are using a hand hammer and not a 12lb sledge! also a plant hanger and my first rams head that is on the handle of a dutch oven lid lifter.

Littleblacksmith 

IMG_7017[1].JPG

IMG_7018[1].JPG

IMG_7020[1].JPG

IMG_7022[1].JPG

IMG_7023[1].JPG

IMG_7024[1].JPG

IMG_7025[1].JPG

those hammers have not been heat treated in the picture, and so they arnt finished ground, that rounding hammer hasnt even seen the grinder in that picture. Forge to finish, how it should be!

Thank you JHCC!

Littleblacksmith 

17 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

This is from last weekend, forged a couple hammers. These hammers I didn't have a striker for, but that morning I put together a blacksmiths guillotine, and so I just used that for it. Let me tell ya, those hammers take alot when your are using a hand hammer and not a 12 lb sledge! also a plant hanger and my first rams head that is on the handle of a dutch oven lid lifter.

Nice work, Mark. Very nicely textured hanger. And I like the ball peen, too.

Hopefully I get my half of the job done in this month :)

Bests:

Gergely

happened during heat treating? its impressive that it is now 2 peices, and not just a crack. I feel your pain.

we have just hit 1,500 replies!

Littleblacksmith 

Too bad about the knife JHCC.  Looking forward to see how you adapt!

I've been struggling to get forging time in with the start of the school year.  With teaching and coaching I have been doing 12 hour days.  I usually only get one day on the weekend.  Last weekend I made two pairs of tongs (well, one was a rescue and rebuild of an old pair I acquired) and today I had a few hours so I decided to do some forge welding.  I did it the hard way...no modern welding to hold the 3/16 round stock together, just string.  There were challenges and I had to reweld twice but both came out alright.  As usual, I didn't approach the project with a solid enough plan so I turned one into a bottle opener (of course) and left the other for a later idea.

IMG_0563.thumb.JPG.bd123f9e6b3361586e7bf7f2308036b3.JPG