I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

I Studied a softer style myself , Wing Chun, though my buddy and sparring partner studied a hard style, Kenpo, and western boxing. 

With mine, the point of a block was just to deflect from your centerline and your counterstrike should be happening simultaneously.  deflect the punch while putting a kick to the knee.  Step in to the incoming kick and slap off balance, slip a punch to to the side and begin a series of close in chain punches.    You knew you were going to get hit, but with small movements you could rob the shot of a lot of power.  Then you hit them with a series of fast blows

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And that is where Silat goes 180 the other side. Since our stances are lower then Wing Chun we drop low when we deflect and put in all of our core to counter full force. If a punch comes for your face you twist and lower yourself, blocking the punch with your forearm around the tendon of his triceps, then twisting back again and landing a full force punch jus below his floating ribs. And then the destruction begins.

Das, i aint seen a jack like that in years. Love those things and yeah they are quite secure.

I studied Wu style Tai-chi when i was in the Army. Practical application of Tai-chi, or how to actually use those slow motions. It is mostly about using the opponents momentum against him. A kick is intercepted on the left, lifted and with the right hand a small force applied center of the chest is enough to propel the attacker backward several feet.  Or intercepting a punch and rather than blocking it, pulling it toward you causing your opponent to become off balance. A simple palm to the chin snaps the neck. Tai-chi while meditative and calming is quite an effective form of martial arts. 

My trainer always says "if you can do it slow, you can do it fast and deadly, if you can only do it fast you beter hope you are ready to meet Yahweh"

In Silat we have many techniques to either block, deflect or avoid the attack, sometimes we go to the sides, sometimes we stay in the center (not many martial arts do it because it is high risk high reward). If we use the snake techniques we use our hands like the mouth of a snake to grab limbs and jank them past or around us to bring the opponent out of balance and with a short step in deliver even harder strikes. 

Like Tai-Chi we use violence from a calm and meditative state. You can not move like water if you have anger in your body. What makes Silat a bit unique is that we use a lot of fluid motions that are stopped abruptly to get more force into attacks and blocks. So it becomes a dance where total relaxation is swapped with a brief moment of tensing up 100% and then relaxing again.

That jack was given to me by a guy that taught me a lot on bodywork back when I started. It's a true workhorse. They seemed to fall from style when you couldn't jack up a car from the front bumper anymore. Funny enough it is still good for jacking up a car from the rocker pinchwelds and usually can reach the jack points. (Strengthened sections meant for lifting, since not all of the pinchweld area is strong enough to lift from and would crush under the weight.) <--- just for those that might not know.

But unlike regular floor jacks with their 4 wheels, this one doesn't roll as the car is lifted so lifting the side of a car needs to be done carefully. 

Those jacks will also lift a car high enough to actually get underneath of too. Always seemed a standard floor jack needed about another 3", or i am getting old and lazy, nah that can not be it, it is the flaw in the design of the jack. 

Now if i can find that guy that keeps lowering the floor a little more every year... 

Yup, most floor Jack's could use a little more "up". I remember some old ones at my trade school that would lift high. They were also long and looked like something out of ww2 military surplus. Lol.

That was when I did whitness the importance of jack stands. One student had a car jacked up with only the floor jack. He was laying under it on his back working on something. Some other students were hanging around and talking. On was leaning on the floor jack handle. Well as he was talking he was bebobing with "that" knob on the end of it. Well, that was the release knob. And yup, the car came down on the kid under it.  Luckily the kid was ok. He was a skinny kid so the car just put pressure on his chest but didnt injure him. He was also one of the most mild tempered kids at the school so while he Was really mad, the kid that dropped the car on him didn't lose any teeth over it. 

After that and having seen floor jacks fail or leak down I have a few sets of Quality jack stands and use them. 

For how many times I've been under a whole car lift and seeing them fail a few times it's a scary thought. That's usually been the swing arm locks that failed. It's a lot of work getting the lift down and the car back on the ground from that. 

11 hours ago, Daswulf said:

has a mechanical lock,

I forgot about that style jack having a mechanical lock. It's been at least 4 decades since I used one. Carry on, I feel better now. I noticed the new tie rods and drag link. When I rebuilt the steering on my M38a1 there were rebuild kits for them and a lot of other parts were rebuild able. I get most of my hard to find parts from Kaiser Willy's dot com. The last thing I had to buy was a new gas tank (kinda left a big hole in the wallet) the old one had developed so many pin holes it wasn't worth trying to patch it a second time.

I don't think I have ever seen a jack like you guys are talking about, but then again, I don't think any european/asian cars where ever made to be jacked up on the bumper.

The best one I ever used was a Sky Jack. ;)

1146755_756193104432760_739133811_o.jpg.c077a5501453ff8dc4e40fb7bef03c8a.jpg

The last shop i worked in had 3, then 2, now 1 of the old twin post in ground hydraulic side by side lifts. The first one the tank was in ground, the fill tube broke off about 4' underground. Replaced with a Rotary. The second i had a box truck on and when i went to lower it only one side dropped. If you went up the side that did not drop was the only one that would go up. The truck was on almost a 45* degree angle and we could not get some out till the next day to help recover the lift. So like good hillbillies, a few chains, jack stands and some boards we left that evening hoping it did not fall over night. It did not. So yeah that is a real PITA. That lift still has not been replaced. The 3rd is still in service and kind of works. When you get a vehicle on it you have to put a one of the tall jack stand (for those who do not know they make jack stands that are 5'-6' tall) under the lift. If not the whole thing would drop, suddenly, about 2" or 3". You can watch the oil bubble up from around the posts. It will drop a couple inches at the time till the tires are on the ground.

So glad i work in a machine shop now. 

Yeah the old in ground lifts were all getting replaced when I was starting. Newer shops obviously didn't have them. The first shop I worked at had a few. The one in the body shop section was a single post. I remember the older tech telling me how one weekend the boss had his 69 Camaro up on it to remove the rear differential. Well, weight distribution and bracing is important on a lift. When he removed the differential suddenly the front had more of the weight and down it went onto the front end. 

Our club didn't teach "karate" it taught "self defense" and was an almost unidentifiable blend of techniques that work. Sensei Bill the owner was Japanese so if you had to ID a style it'd be a blend of Kenpo and Shotokan. We tended to think of Shotokan as smash and destroy and Kenpo as soft and round. Putting the two together brought some straight in for effect to kenpo and some round deflection and poison hand to Shotokan. 

Then there was all the other stuff, some jujitsu quite a bit of kung fu and aikido. Aikido and kenpo were made to blend. 

The only time I've ever used the arts for real was being "tested" by a couple young "cowboys." We were visiting friends on their latest feed lot job and I was out for a ride with Rex the older son. Well, I wasn't "cowboy enough" so got called out. When the first brother threw a classic John Wayne punch, started high over his right shoulder, I just rolled with a kenpo out block that turned into an akaido wrist lock, I stepped back rolling to my left and air planed him into the ground. Never touched his elbow and landed him softly but missed the cow pie.

His buddies were howling in laughter his brother the loudest so he decided he'd really show me and came at me again in the same way. So I threw him on the ground again but managed a partial hit on the cow pie. Not that rolling in a cow pie is anything, everybody who did ranch work did that every now and then.

He got up madder and I told him I was getting tired and couldn't keep throwing him on the ground without maybe injuring him. So how about we call it quits? We all got along just fine, the city kid could ride and rope too. They kept trying to set me up with other kids. I suggested to the ones who wanted to see me break a board that they get a good one and bend over, I'd try REALLY HARD. 

Man you guys are bringing back memories. Happily even spilled blood on the mats weren't bad times. We only ever broke one board in beginner class to demonstrate about how hard it is to break a rib. 

The closest I ever came to a bar fight I glued one foot of the guy who was dead set on beating on me to the floor with super glue and stood up. Funny how hard it is to step back if one foot won't move. I felt rally bad about that, he was out cold and laying there with his right foot flat on the edge of the dance floor, his left foot was pointing up like normal. I asked one of the gals I was sitting with for some fingernail polish remover bent down and unglued him.

The whole bar went Ooooo, when he went over and bounced. The story around the village was I had a one punch knockout that was too fast to see. They were even more horrified when I told them I didn't touch the guy I super glued him to the floor. They could understand an invisibly fast punch but chemical warfare wasn't in their wheel house.

I don't know why not, almost every woman in town or off the fishing boats carried Mace. It was a fishing/logging town and the boys tended to get a little unreasonable when they had a few 12 packs. One of the gals said one of the best lines I've ever heard. A drunk wouldn't leave her alone and started getting grabby on a public street, so she told him loudly, "Leave me alone, I know Dow!." HIs response was a very slurred, "What's that, some kind of karate?" She takes her hand out of her pocket and says, "The people who make Mace." and lets him have it from maybe 1', actually angled it to quirt up his nostrils, eyes, mouth when he screamed, every exposed orifice. She'd obviously had experience. His buddies were hysterical, heck everybody within sight had tears rolling out of their eyes laughing. 

Ahh, I have some fond memories of Klawok. Man, I've had some good times. :lol:

Frosty The Lucky.

That is what makes martial arts work, taking parts from other styles that work better in the streets. Since Silat was designed for warfare and the complete destruction of limbs/lives my teacher thought us Indonesian boxing as well. Since most people these days only know kickboxing, you wont need more then a solid skill in exotic boxing.

About the Mace, you guys are so lucky stuff like that is legal over there. Over here anything you could use in self defense us illegal. About 10 years ago it was even illegal to "remove an intruder from your house with force" 

Self defense is allowed in Alaska more so than many states in the USA. It's perfectly legal to have the coroner remove an illegal intruder from your house. There is paper work though. It isn't the wild west but you aren't expected to hide in a closet until the bad guys are finished taking everything they want.

I don't know if you can still buy Mace, Pepper spray is WAY more effective and in Alaska Pepper bear spray is commonly available, in convenience stores. 

Happily I don't go places where I'm likely to need them. Break into the house is different and as out of practice in the martial arts the house is still full of weapons. They're everywhere. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Why am I not surprised, living in BEAR country and having a gun near every light switch... 

It used to be so bad here that if some climbed over your fence and he tore up his clothes on barbed wire he could sue you for the damage, and if he busted his back lifting your TV he could sue you for not helping him. Now at least we can use "controlled force" to remove someone, but still, if you hurt him to much you will be sitting in jail longer then he will (8 years for hurting him vs a few months for breaking into a house)

I don't have a gun by every light switch, the couple we have are in hard cases and put away, even the shotgun is in a closet.

Even a 40 years out of practice martial artist doesn't need a firearm to have weapons at hand. I can put serious hurt on someone with a rolled up piece of notebook paper. Let alone a pencil, key ring, book, the hatchet by the wood stove, etc. There are weapons everywhere. 

I grew up in California and remember thieves suing the victims for injuries and the victims ending up in jail. I'd hate to have to live is some of those places. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Weapons are indeed everywhere, as long as you are not afraid to use them and inflict harm. Being an out of shape martial artist will even work in favor of that, less control makes everything a lot more dangerous. In case of extreme danger, the body will remember things the brain has forgotten.

[political content removed]

Edited by Mod34
Political content

2 hours ago, Deimos said:

Weapons are indeed everywhere,

I stopped a home invasion robbery with my kitty cat. I literally grabbed my cat by the scruff and tossed her at the guy with the gun. She attached herself to his face and chest and he dropped the pistol immediately. As soon as the cat scrambled away he ran out the door. Indeed weapons are everywhere if you're willing to use them. 

Pnut

MOD NOTE: While descriptions of laws are informative and therefore acceptable, questioning the motives and morals of lawmakers of any jurisdiction, party, or political philosophy is inappropriate political discussion and therefore forbidden by the forum TOS.