• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2/23/2021 at 12:28 PM, natkova said:

Forged  fluer de lis.

Need some filing so they can be like Bosnian one wich are a litle bit different than French.

Like this?

image.thumb.png.be176824d225b243ec3367d1b1b6caec.png

I’d suggest trying making it in modeling clay first, then cutting apart the elements and forming them up into flat bars, so that you can see how much material each one takes. 

Was out in the shop doing a little cleaning and straightening up before work, finally above freezing for a few days, when my granddaughter calls me.

I am going to be a great grand pappy. 

So i did some sitting. 

My granddaughter is married, her husband in is the Army stationed in N. Carolina. They just bought a house. Finally, one that waited till she had her head on straight and secure before having a kid. 

Thanks ya'll. 

I am 50, my wife is a few years older than me and had a daughter when she was quite young herself. So this is actually my step-grandaughter who is having the baby. She is a great kid and really kind of wise beyond her years. She has definitely learned from others mistakes. Really proud of her. She is going to college there but that may have to be put on pause here soon. But i know her and if it is something she wants she will find a way. She wants to be a forensic scientist.

Latest knife update:  getting the threaded rod to stay on the tang is frustrating. I used a small bolt and it broke when I tried to tighten the pommel. Then I tried JB Weld putty. That didn't work either. Finally I was going to rivet it together  and the hollow rivet collapsed on me. I ended up just using the pin side. First attempt was oak. Second was plum. Now I'm on Cedar hoping it stays together this time. Trying to get it all tight and I'm having a time trying to make it tight. Tried using copper plate and leather to make it tighter but like that it won't go on.  I threaded the brass chunk and it's only 3/8s deep. I don't want to go through the brass. 

I know if I welded or braised the rod on it would work, but I have no welder or torch.  I had a torch and my step son lost it along with a ton of my tools and several other items I never wanted him to mess with yet they are broken or gone.  Being a step dad to a 26 year old "kid" not what I signed up for but it's my life. I have to adjust I guess. 

Congrats Billy Bones!

I've been stuck out of the shop for a while as my landlord's had multiple delicate projects going on and I've been stuck grading papers for the courses I'm TAing. Got myself a little harbor freight air nibbler for cutting some 18ga stainless sheet as an outer shell for my two-brick forge (purely aesthetic). I wrecked the cutter after about 2 feet of cut. It was rated to 16ga sheet... 16ga aluminum sheet I guess? Welp, it was $23 so I can't complain.

Also been doing more research on mini-lathes. Narrowed my choices down to taig or sherline micro lathes. Anything bigger is just too much risk on my body carrying it up and down stairs every time I want to use it. I'm thinking a new nibbler cutter would be a neat first project.

And it broke again. I'm going to stop on this knife until I can figure what to do. No, the only friend I have with a welder is in Pageland, SC And that's too far to go. IF we get another stimulus I'll buy me a welder. If we get one. Every attempt I have made at forge welding has been a  miserable failure. I guess next time I'll try to make the tang round and thread it. But every rod I have ever tried to thread has broken. I can tap holes pretty good, but threading rods is a skill I'll have to learn.