Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

That's a very nice profile of your knife, I like it.

Though knives are not my favorite thing to forge and make, I do enjoy that little drop point shape the most. (As do my clients it seems because they keep ordering and buying them)

The railing is looking great John. 

Alexandr, those candlesticks are beautiful. 

Sharp looking knives Duckwalk. 

Rich, I'm also working through the ABANA Level 1 Curriculum. I'm currently hung up on the hook of the gate latch assembly. I've made 3 so far. Just struggling to get the correct dimensions. Perfectly functional gate hooks otherwise, lol

I decided to take a break from class work this week and just play a bit. Made these coins for Mother's Day out of 1/4" thick slices of 3/4" round bar. 

The one with the skull is a memento mori coin for my sister in law. The one with the cross was for my mother. The thumb spot is on the reverse. I'm calling it a "reminder coin". They both loved their gifts. I still need to make one more for my sister. I'm waffling between a cat face or the Avatar "Earth" written character (she's a massive Avatar fan - the series, not the blue people). And since I have an extra disc, I might make another memento mori and give it to my nephew along with his graduation gift.

IMG_20230514_185114_945.jpg

received_2746460615490509.jpeg

This weekend, at our hammer-in, I worked on a power hammer ball swage. Unfortunately, I broke the handle off before I got the forging done. I’ll post it later after I’ve re-welded the handle and get it back in the forge (and under my power hammer).

I also finished up a steak flipper:

64BECD38-F8B1-4144-A4A1-7F2943AA6A67.jpeg.49f77cd94725519c29557a27cead1fbd.jpeg

The IBA made at home competition this year is a steak flipper, this may be my submission if my other idea doesn’t come together in time.

Keep it fun,

David

On 5/15/2023 at 3:20 PM, Chad J. said:

Duckwalk, what do you use to such your knives?  I currently don't have a reliable touchmark for my knives and need to get one soon. 

I bought a hotstamp from a company who makes them. Its just my last name. I think it cost me like $80? 

Also realized that I could use the mounting brackets I’d made for the Hossfeld Bender to mount my bench shear. The brick-red flat bars are now permanently bolted to the shear’s feet, and the whole setup can be bolted on as needed with the 1/2” bolts in the corners. 

IMG_6678.thumb.jpeg.8fb2f30bc3a1b8b5e58e3448f0e7b085.jpeg

Lot of beautiful work in the room Alexandr!

I got a couple things done in the shop today. A set of tongs started a while ago:69A8486E-69B4-41DF-8640-23A31E13925C.jpeg.61a76addaec193a36ee4457d20cf42ba.jpeg

Make from forklift tine. Hopefully they will be useful under the power hammer.

I also got my ball swage finished and made a test hex finial:CB219CED-5F2C-476B-9295-2A03C5CCD99C.jpeg.4d82094b6ba65e8c7ef7dcf6029bdad3.jpegB5A25233-5882-4643-BF55-A2DA0E61D73F.jpeg.cd329b8faf9dc7e5f5262b6da340c440.jpeg

Hex was probably not the best first test. I took forever…but, the ability to produce round and faceted shapes was why I went this direction in the first place.

Keep it fun,

David

George, I made these similar to what Brent Bailey uses making hammers, but I slit the end to be able to hole work on the corners also. Don’t know if that was a good idea yet though.

Yes, also all the forging was done with a power hammer.

Keep it fun,

David

Nice work guys and Jennifer.

Went to my great granddaughters baby shower yesterday. I have not seen my granddaughter and husband in about a year and a half or no i would not have went to a baby shower. while there here dad asked if i could make him some lantern hangers for his porch. He is taking old Coleman lanterns, gutting them and putting in solar LEDs that will come on at night. He wants 3 but 2 have to hang off the corner of his porch at a 45* angle. So here is my proof of concept.

image.thumb.jpeg.4b891b599760affcf944134bbad368b2.jpeg

I like your ball swage David. I agree being able to forge faceted or spherical makes for a more useful tool. The hex makes for a dramatic finial, worth the extra effort. IMNHO.

Thanks Alex, felt pads  are almost universal here I was wondering  if you used something different in Russia. Some things have cork pads but they're not very common.

That will work Billy. Are you going to experiment with other forms too, maybe something more organic looking?  

Frosty The Lucky.