• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stack your bail mail in a bundle and bind it with twine into a bail mail bale and post it. So SURE.

Lots of handy things to do with staples, I know there are a couple things you can call the loop thing for latches, padlock hasps, etc. 

You can spell it however you wish. I say so! 

Frosty The Lucky.

Went to the Gathering yesterday. Good times, good people, good BBQ. Roy Adams that has the youtube channel Christ Centered Ironworks was there and gave a tong making demo. Super nice guy. A bit windy but at least the rain held off. It is a whole weekend shindig but i was only able to make yesterdays events. It was hosted by Troy and Eli at the Barr Run forge. 

Things i learned, the importance of your anvil height. I was using an anvil set just a bit higher than i am used to and now today i can feel it in my elbow. A Soderfors anvil rings like a bell. 

Of course i was more interested in moving metal than taking photo's. I am sure they will have them up on their website soon though if anyone wants to look. 

So yesterday I finished up my quench tanks. They're wooden tanks, Not metal I couldn't find any decently sized metal to make them out of.

P_20230422_162157.thumb.jpg.a55b310dfc534b1a677c4e3a781c7105.jpg

P_20230422_162246.thumb.jpg.731fc5effae7b3d336ccf205a5c298c7.jpg

P_20230422_162215.thumb.jpg.1c6f70c53bf05ae3e94abd718441d0ef.jpg

The vertical tanks are for my parks 50, and whatever medium fast oil I end up getting (like parks AAA or fusion 10).The other tank holds light mineral oil that I find works as a medium to slow oil depending on the temp I have it at.

I still need to make a water tank for my slack tub, right now it's a plastic bucket.

And today, I used the tanks while making a center punch and chisel out of some 1060 steel.

P_20230423_104309.thumb.jpg.35c12414a4dcdef2c7069016c4f9ff9d.jpg

The center punch was made from 9/16" round stock, and made square with the edges left slightly rounded.

The chisel was made from 11/16" round stock made octagon. Both were quenched in the parks 50. And temper drawn by heating the struck end in the forge just after the burner was shut down till I could just see the light straw color getting to the cutting end.

Knocked out another display piece for the yarn shop. This time, it’s a display rack for yarn-themed jewelry and a selection of “merit badge” pins from a company called Purl Scouts. 

B4C086C9-CBF3-4964-BA50-5C2AE9720AF1.thumb.jpeg.6ced265344fa757ee54313599248c239.jpeg

(Strategically placed next to checkout, for those last-minute impulse buys.)

6 hours ago, BillyBones said:

Roy Adams that has the youtube channel Christ Centered Ironworks was there

Billy- Is Roy local? I’ve watched many of his videos, and appreciate his no non sense tutorials. I had no idea he was around OH.

20 minutes ago, Chimaera said:

Is Roy local? […] I had no idea he was around OH.

Harrisville, Michigan (according to their website). I saw them at Quad-State a couple of years ago, but as visitors rather than as demonstrators. 

Thanks, Jer. I’d just finished cleanup and painting when I had a panic attack about the possibility that I’d mismeasured the cards, but I’m pleased to have been mistaken. 

Ah yes, the great black swamp. 

Messed around with some torch coloring to get this leaf to a nice rainbow color. I think I will give it as a thank you to my chemistry professor. Finished up the blade and started on the walnut handle for this fillet knife that I am giving a friend as a graduation gift (and also in exchange for some welding haha) and made my first kitchen knife, a little 15n20 and purpleheart japanese k tip paring knife. While I quite like it, there are still many things that I'm not satisfied with, so I am already working on another one. My goal is to have made myself a full knife set by the time I graduate (gyuto, petty, paring). In order to do that I will need to start learning some pattern welding or san mai techniques to thicken up my stock. I have finals next week, then I should really be able to hit the forge.

image.thumb.jpeg.409b69562b2ab3c2e710ca467f64164b.jpeg

image.jpeg

IMG-2992.jpg

Nice work Chimaera. I love "heat painting". It's mesmerizing watching the colors run. 

I worked on tongs from 3/4" mild steel tonight. I had scheduled 3 hours but got tired after 90 minutes and for the first time ever, I called it a night early and packed it up before I could start making mistakes.

I had the jaw/boss area of the first side mostly done in 40 minutes. More like a blank. I still need to form them to be chain tongs. Then I started trying to draw out the reins. After 50 minutes and not making much headway, I just deflated. Work goes much slower with a 2lb hammer on the thicker stock. But I'd rather take 4x as long with a lighter hammer than risk anything the week leading up to the BAM Conference. 

The Toledo war, not many people even know about that  today. From what i understand it was the federal gov't that stepped in to stop it, gave Toledo to Ohio, and in return that state up North got the upper peninsula. 

Anyway finished a set of small box jaw tongs today. A piece of 3/4" x 3/8" flat bar, the box is forge welded on small piece of flat bar i found on the floor. Still need sized and a bit of one reign cut off so i can put an integral tong ring on. 

image.thumb.jpeg.30fd54842ff03995fd245aab545cbf87.jpeg

Yes, Ohio got Toledo and the mouth of the Maumee River, and thus control of a major trading and travel route into the interior. On the face of it, Michigan got the worst of the deal, since the UP was not considered good for agriculture. In the long run, though, they did just fine after the discovery of its mineral reserves. 

Made me an old style weed whacker. 5160 and the curve is kind of on purpose, bit more than i wanted but i did want a bit of curve. 

image.thumb.jpeg.cbe18a3eb40243f28e017681aa559a04.jpeg

The part that is squared for the handle to go onto i measured one side at .235" and the other at .243", that is about the thickness of 2 sheets of notebook paper. Kind of proud to get it that close to square with just a hammer and eye.