• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Honestly, now that I think about it, I'm not sure either if that's a scarf. We need an expert for the nomenclature. What I was really trying to ask is if you folded it over and welded it, since I know most people do that while a minority ends up chiseling and splitting firepokers.

Alexandr, you never cease to amaze me with the quality of your work and your ability to design your artwork to provide objects that bring your customers houses to a work of art that equals museum quality. I look forward to every picture of your work you post. 

Alexandr, as always stunning work. 

Started a fire set today. Got the poker done and a shovel handle not quite done. Quit working when i burned the shovel pan. Just wanted to show it off becuase the poker is provably the best transitions i have done, and the shovel end aint to shabby either. Started as 1" x 1/4" flat bar so it will a quite the light set. 

image.thumb.jpeg.02610568ed8a341e12871ffb253101ea.jpeg

Here is an idea of what the whole set will look like when done.

image.thumb.jpeg.c97f9b2c02a3c523b94a1a918c620576.jpeg

On 2/11/2023 at 6:37 PM, Mr_Gixxer said:

Fisher 40.

I have an anvil, I love it and will never get another. But that's beautiful.

2 hours ago, BillyBones said:

a fire set

Billy that's nice. I hide my hammering on my fire sets with twists, and I've never attempted I think yours shows great forging skills, so clean. That poker tip:wub: what's the process? Forge welding?

MacLeod, thanks. 

I isolated a couple inches of the end, then split that and bent it over. Then did an upset corner kind of thing. Same with the end of the shovel handle. Split then opened up, put in the vice and up set the ends down. Kind of like doing the tines on a serving fork or something. 

Fixed the shop door. Door is the repurposed roof of the aluminum shed that used to stand where the smithy is now. I was starting to sag a bit. Saved the 2x2 hollow aluminum 'studs' the old shed was framed with. Notched to fit over the horizontals, sheet metal screws all around and a little aluminum plate tying it all together. Swings nice now.

IMG_0456.jpeg

Looks nice. I like that vise stand, too.

Speaking of doors, my son and I heard a horrible noise coming from the garage last night, like something large and heavy had fallen over. We didn't see anything, but this morning, I discovered that the torsion spring that counterbalances the door had snapped. My back didn't appreciate having to muscle it open, but I am glad that I'm about to add to my supply of spring steel.

The last two times, over a course of 20 years, when one of my garage door torsion spring snapped the end off, I reformed the hook and it was back in business ( I already had 6 springs in the resource pile). It's about time for one of them to let go again.:D The last time one let go, I found it half way across the shop, glad I wasn't standing by it when it let go.

8 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Looks like you also got a few years out of the last one.  How old is the old one? 

HI !

I don't remember exactly, but more than 10 years.

Installed the grids. Historic city center. The house is being renovated, the photos are not very good. I walked to the next street, about 300 meters. 15 years ago, I installed a canopy over the entrance to the Union of Artists. Needs a little painting, but overall like new.

IMG_20230213_145545.jpg

IMG_20230213_155709.jpg

IMG_20230213_155802.jpg

IMG_20230213_154521.jpg

IMG_20230213_155216.jpg

IMG_20230213_155418.jpg

IMG_20230213_154840.jpg

IMG_20230213_154853.jpg

IMG_20230213_154907.jpg

Absolutely amazing, beautiful work, Alexandr.

My newbie explorations continue, and this weekend I made an herb chopper out of a small bit of old Ford leaf spring from the junkyard.  Forged it Saturday, ground and filed it to final shape yesterday, hardened, tempered, and sharpened it today.  Haven't cooked with it yet, but it appears to be quite sharp and will certainly get used around here.

PXL_20230213_214845829_rotated.jpg