• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was making nut cracker but it ended realy realy bad.

Lost my motivation for week.

IF you mess first step in making something, i think its in vain to try fix that.

Better to throw it to scrap, or to other project.

I was making shoulder and hinge for nutcracker like you make with tongs, some space away from one end. But boss is located in nutcracker at near end so it give more leverage.

After that fail i saw i wasted it for good, tryed to fix but , ended with wierd shaped hardcarboon steel objects.

Before lunch I went out and wanted to test the big fan I drug home from Peavine, OK, USA.  It had taken two of use a rather rough time to get it back to where it might go; unfortunately with no 220 VAC plug nearby--currently. So I dug through some stuff and unearthed some industrial casters, (lost civilization and alien base were found too; but that's normal...)  Mounted the casters on 2 2"x6"x20" boards and C clamped them to the fan frame and I was easily able to move it over to the current 220 outlets.  Starts up with no issues; save for being a might loud, not as loud as an old B52 SAC wing coming in for a landing at Wright Pat at 5 am; but I guess I will be wearing my hearing protectors anyway when using it.  Now to put new grills on it and run 220 over to where it will sit in the roll up door opening.

How fast did it get  moving on the casters before it unplugged itself? How long did you ride? 

I wonder if you could mount away from the shop and use duct to make exhaust points around the shop. That should isolate the noise, noise doesn't go around corners so well unless you angle them to bounce it. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm thinking mounting 4 of them facing down with a 300amp generator in the frame would make a properly blacksmitherly flying machine. You'd need remote control to make a drone would a blacksmith shouting which way to go work?

I'd want a seat and drive it myself!

Frosty The Lucky. 

8 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

JW513.. it's hard knowing where someone was compared to where someone is..  I'm conflicted because of this.. I know where I was vs where I am..  

And yes Carl did take again.. Mighty fine smith..  I think this is his 7th or 9th grand champion.. 

I have high standards and producing sub par work is not something I relish. Even if it's the work produced at the time. 

Those kids were having a blast and killing it..  I loved the fact they had a few people who had like no practice and took a spot on the board. 

Next year I'll do better.. :) 

David really nice hawks.. 

life is one big wave, highs and lows but you gotta ride it and there’s always something to take out of the experience.

At least you showed up, I’ve only forged twice in the past year. I’ve taken some classes by Carl and he is great. But all the spectators there don’t care who wins. I think everyone had fun just watching. 

This isn’t a knock to Carl because is a master. But I love your style of forging. Very colonial influenced.

I’ll be there next year rooting for you. I should have introduced myself.

Brought the reins closer together and angled them inwards a bit more. 

1A0F3A18-36A3-45B7-852C-1B378A4070B9.thumb.jpeg.07fe3375cefea81ec2095453cf340960.jpeg

Also yesterday, I wire-wheeled a couple of pairs of sheep shears, which TWISTEDWILLOW had generously donated to be decoration in my wife’s yarn shop. 

AD440B56-3AD1-4058-BCDA-9A79BDC170FF.thumb.jpeg.90b043467034a16e3dde2f59907d22e8.jpeg

Interesting to note that while the surfaces of the blades of the bottom pair are severely pitted, their edges are still just as clean and sharp as those of the top pair.

(This reminds me of Frank Turley's post with a photo of an old knife in his collection, where the blade was from a pair of sheep shears and the handle was a somewhat fancier bit of metalwork. There's a cool photo HERE.)

How you guys deal with holding stocks knifeshaped it tend to twist like that.

If you hit it on wider side.

Like if you try to hit recentagle but not flat side, it twisted and flipped couple time on me hard to hold in tongs.