I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Glenn, you'd think so.. But it might or might not have to do with " We don't raise our voices"  and "we try to correct everyone when they are pulled to the side vs confronted".. 

So every saturday I pretty much go for a marital arts walk with a couple of friends..  One of the guys needs his own grapnel hook so today I set about to make him a new one.. 

5/8" round starting stock.

First one I've made since 2004..  Not to bad.. Has good balance..  Should be a nice thrower.. 

The bevel came out decent as did the eye weld..  I like it tighter but I left if undersized some I usually make them 3/4" round ID. 

20200619_204414.jpg

20200619_204424.jpg

20200619_204932.jpg

I did video making it.. I don't get much opportunity to film now. 

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Marcus_Aurelius said:

I also can get protective of my anvil, and my hammers, and well frankly my tongs as well :blink:.

Agreed! And my files also. Those go in a drawer where no one else knows but me ;) Good looking tongs. 

Jennifer, great work. I bet it'll it work well

Nobody else around here has a use for my tongs, so I don't really worry about those. I leave out certain files and hammers that are on the  'Ok to use pile' just in case. But mostly they don't want to hear me yell at them so they stay away from my little corner of the shop. 

Are you going to upload the new video Jennifer? I'll look forward to it

Yup, follows left, right and, up, down, and can even zoom on it's own on larger targets.. 

It can be controlled with my phone so if I had someone on the phone it has the possibility to do everything I do in editing all while working. 

Chris the potential is pretty good.. Sometime technology isn't so bad. 

Shoots still while it records too. 

P0050046.JPG

Guess I'm truly gettin' old, Jennifer.  Some of the stuff that's happening today just blows my mind.   I (and a whole lot of others on the forum) grew up when Dick Tracy could talk through his watch like a phone.....................and there wasn't even a portable phone in the back of anyone's mind at the time.  The other day I actually saw a young man talking on his wrist watch and I couldn't believe it.  When I commented, he looked at me like I was a Dinosaur!  (which, to him, I guess I am!)  Yup, gettin' too old for all this new fanged stuff.  I'm still sharpening wooden pencils in an old crank style wall sharpener.  GEESH!!!!!

Looking forward to seeing the product of your new toy.  When I mentioned your new acquisition to my little wife, she commented "Well someone is making money in these hard times!"

Jennifer, I tried making a grappling hook once (with 4 prongs/claws/pokey bits/whatever the proper name is) just for the heck of it. Lets just say it lives in my scrap bucket now.. I like yours much better. 

Re: Being protective of ones anvil, mine was definitely well used when I got it. So while I love it and probably won't ever part with it, I don't really mind letting others use it. However, I have been saving (slowly) for something and I imagine in a year or so Ill be very protective of it.

Today I followed Frosty's recommendations and made garden rake v2. It turned out way better than my first attempt. It also took much less time since rather than starting with 6 different pieces there were only 2, which resulted in much less fiddling around. I may still add a finial of some sort before I call it complete, I'm not sure yet.

IMG_2020-06-19_18-31-37.thumb.jpeg.c39773609ee351e3fc811d62323f73cc.jpeg

IMG_2020-06-19_18-31-52.thumb.jpeg.d08479c74e0de991ad28fed8f338248f.jpeg

IMG_2020-06-19_18-31-59.thumb.jpeg.997f84ca13f70fa69dd96eb7d0fe0ddc.jpeg

old/new

IMG_2020-06-19_18-59-41.thumb.jpeg.3a090785a2d0d0f50d1bca123934d4ed.jpeg

IMG_2020-06-19_19-22-22.thumb.jpeg.5eeac61906319575a6601780b963c0b1.jpeg

IMG_2020-06-19_18-58-34.thumb.jpeg.b848dcfd2e90886e55a644670e510183.jpeg

I also did the twists for the poker I started yesterday.

IMG_2020-06-19_19-19-39.thumb.jpeg.ad0c4d345a0afffb69f71175d39a067d.jpeg

IMG_2020-06-19_19-19-02.thumb.jpeg.4b0bcfbd60af8a9de9d7400205e3c9c4.jpeg

IMG_2020-06-19_19-20-00.thumb.jpeg.89bd7cea7532581edcf45c00e64e30d5.jpeg

I'm not going to give any close-ups of the weld of the poker because... reasons. 

10 hours ago, Chris C said:

Yup, gettin' too old for all this new fanged stuff.  I'm still sharpening wooden pencils in an old crank style wall sharpener.  GEESH!!!!!

I've recently stepped into the 19th century and gotten a mechanical pencil but I still do a lot of sketching with a nib and holder you have to dip in ink like a quill. I can't remember the date but in the late seventies in the opening of the Buck Rogers remake I think they said he started his mission in 1988. It's funny watching old sci-fi films and they use year 2000 as the date when they think we'll be colonizing the moon etc. 

Pnut

1 hour ago, Glenn said:

No more sharpening the end of feathers. (grin)

I tried it a long time ago. It's trickier than you'd think. You have to split it and drill a tiny hole at the end of the split so it doesn't propagate. I think it also acts as a reservoir for the ink using surface tension. To answer your question, nope no more quill sharpening. I've stepped up to steel nibs. This is  the age of the difference engine. Out with the old and in with the new. :D

Pnut

Pnut, i used to use the nibs when i was younger and could still draw. I mostly used them when doing pointillism. My dad still has a picture i did in that style of the ruins of an old castle in Europe. My dad who is retired military kept it in his office on the wall so it traveled all over the world and was viewed by many people over the years.  

Mr. A. Smokey,

Teak should prove to be a very good choice for the handle.

The wood is hard,  (it has high tensile strength).  It is naturally oily, thus it is water resistant.

Indeed it is used for outdoor furniture,  and such items as exterior doors, and window and door frames, etc.

The only potential drawback is its cost.

In other words,

It is a good choice for a hammer handle.

SLAG.

20 hours ago, Frazer said:

garden rake v2.

Nice job Frazer, big improvement. A finial scroll will give it a finished look and be handy. Once you get this handle down pat. Try untwisting it for an open handle. You won't need as much stock to start and it'll be lighter and cooler to use. It takes practice to get right it's easy to make handles uncomfortably large around. 

If you give it a try maybe Jennifer will coach you, she's a LOT better at open twists than I am.

Frosty The Lucky.

11 hours ago, SLAG said:

Teak should prove to be a very good choice for the handle.

Thank you for the info SLAG! It was originally an outdoor chair, but the chair broke and I managed to convince my parents to let me keep it, good to know.