I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

pnut pretty sure they're pretty dang old. i also got a box of some ancient looking sickle sections, a shoeing hammer head, one ancient horseshoe and a few hundred domed rivets with a rivet header. ive read some threads on hear regarding sickle sections it didnt get me any closer to knowing what they're made from but i know they spark high carbon. also got three unopened five packs of the straight bladed one. i forged welded 2 of em together to make an ulu. infact im gonna go do some hardening tests on them i have so many if they prove decent for blades might weld up some billets as i have a bunch of them. also got my hands on some heavy but not to heavy leaf spring from a trailer.... granted this stuff is mostly for personal progression and gifts and the occasional discounted sale. not claiming to anyone that "this is a 5160 camp axe" more like....check out this little axe i made from scrap leaf spring... 20 bucks? sure why not

• Replies 26.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I respect that you're up front about the material, but I think they'd be worth more than twenty bucks even if it's scrap steel. A blade takes a lot of work from forge to finish. I've only gifted the things I've made but I wouldn't sell myself short if I did offer something for sale.  I understand not wanting to charge anywhere near as much as an  experienced Bladesmith using known steel, but your time and effort is absolutely worth more than twenty dollars. Just my opinion though. Keep up the good work I like seeing the progress.

Pnut

Hammer heads are one of the things that are on my "continuous buy" list---if they are cheap.  I have a metal milk crate I toss them in and when I need one for a project, I have a selection to hand.  Pretty much any ball peen or single jack, US$1 or under, some $2 and sledges $3. I have had a number of dealers at the fleamarket tell me I'll never find any for that to which I tell them I've filled several 5 gallon buckets so far.

Now for a cast steel old brand name I've been known to go a bit higher...

Doesn't have to be a ball pein hammer. You could use roundbar (or any thicker bar stock) to make a texturing struck tool. Axle/cv shaft, tortion bar, even mild steel would work really. Just make it long enough to keep your hand a lil higher up away from heat, or make a twisted wire handle on a shorter one. Using spare/ junkie hammers is just expedient when they are at hand. Like thomas said, I also pick them up when the price is right and hang on to them for when a use arises. 

On 9/29/2019 at 6:11 PM, Chris The Curious said:

Frosty, you must have missed my post where I said I tested it and it only swelled the 15/16" board by .002".............but that I went ahead and coated the surfaces of the mold with Shellac so I'm assured the Vaseline won't soak into the MDF.

Chris

I saw it but painting the wood or whatever really helps prevent swelling. There's a lot of water in Kastolite when you pour/stuff it in the mold and it can effect things. Also this isn't the only time the trick can come in handy. I'd be very surprised if you needed my advice about stabilizing wood, that tip was more for other less wood wise folk.

Frosty The Lucky.

Nah, there wasn't a bad for wanting to clarify things. I misunderstand and need clarification for enough stuff it's never a bad thing.

Well, the snotties I can live without but I just think about what their opinion is worth and feel better. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

One of the "problems" I have with internet forums is what just happened.  My feeble brain can't "get" that even though my question has been answered, other people's might not have.  I've even been chastised for that attitude.  Guess I'm just not smart enough to get it through my thick skull.

Chris

Cut that out Chris! Everybody has issues and deserves an occasional chastising, I don't know why I get away with so much, maybe I'm just lovable. 

The way I worded my "paint it" tip wasn't worded like I was talking to other folk, I mis-wrote it directly to you. If there was a bad it would've been mine but this is just a big worldwide cocktail party and a lot gets lost in the chatter.

Frosty The Lucky.

Jennifer: You really need someone around to shout at you to keep off the wet floor! Or were fresh boot prints in the design?

1 minute ago, JHCC said:

Because you've already had a good birching.

Pulling a switch on my John?

Frosty The Lucky.