I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Tacky.. :)  Very Tacky,,  :) 

I painted that part last night and its' still tacky.  I didn't want to move the full water barrel out so moved it back into position. The amount of junk (useful tooling) on the tail gate was full and it was supposed to rain. (which is poured). 

Besides that. first demo and it will all look pretty much the way it did before I started.  LOL. 

• Replies 26.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I mis-wrote it directly to you.

Well shame on you then, Frosty...........you terrible, horrible person.  How dare you imply I don't know what I'm doing.  ;):lol:  (heck, I never know what I'm doing!!!) :rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Not forging but I guess blacksmith related.  Painted the anvil stand and the once a year coat of paint on the trailer floor. 

Well, Jennifer, it looks as is someone couldn't keep their "fingers out of the pie", so to speak.  (I see footprints in the painted foor!) :lol:

Chris

Well to start with i tried welding the reigns onto my new tongs (thanks again for the idea Jennifer) got one welded and failed miserably on the other. I have also been working on a blade. 15n20, 1065, and 52100 pattern welded. Basically ground off the scale hope it turns out. I am really just doing it to test my ability to weld. I been practicing welding all summer and i hope it pays off. Oh almost 600 layers in it. My first "Damascus" blade.

304256078_20191002_184819(1).thumb.jpg.1ca9b18f627121782403a110f4d49894.jpg

The wire is what i use to hold it together when i weld. Learned that from some old guy a while back. 

25 minutes ago, BillyBones said:

(thanks again for the idea Jennifer)

If you’re talking about the tongs with outward-facing hooks that expand as you squeeze, those were actually my idea. But you’re welcome anyway. 

I finished cleaning my new vise and mounted it (for lack of anywhere else available) on the corner of The Pressciouss:

37D690E8-C0F0-4304-A603-3EA57806C123.jpeg

I may eventually add a gusset on the underside of the bottom bracket. However, this isn’t for heavy pounding (I have the Frankenvise for that), so that may not be necessary. 

5 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Frosty; it's just because you are so hard to get to; why do you think we are trying to lure you to Quad-State?

Not to give dance lessons I hope!:o 

What happened to those other two guys? Things were going nicely and all of a sudden they pealed off and started barking at a . . . John?:blink: 

Frosty The Lucky.

thanks pnut, very reassuring 

making a mini carving axe with some one of those sickle sections as the bit. also the ulu knife is coming along.. idk is they're simple carbon steel but they're hard as wood pecker lips even without quenching

also handled a 5 pound sledge and restored/handle an old chisel....and made lots of borax scales

21 hours ago, ausfire said:

I see Chris is looking for a ball pein hammer.  Maybe this guy has one to spare....

That is amazing!!!!   Maybe he could send one my way too.;) I hear those hammer head sharks shed like nobody's business.

Pnut

On 10/2/2019 at 8:59 PM, JHCC said:

I may eventually add a gusset on the underside of the bottom bracket. However, this isn’t for heavy pounding (I have the Frankenvise for that), so that may not be necessary. 

it is so cool/great seeing your reply's.  Or your strategy.   I can see your thinking more clearly the longer I have been on here and as a complement  I like the way you both work and see the things you want to build.   Its encouraging  and inspirational.   keep it up John,  Great stuff. 

Ausfire, that is a crazy sculpture, where did you find that? I have been working on some tongs, reforging an old cutter into a hammer eye punch, and got an old axle to forge into  another punch. My mower deck self destructed yesterday, good thing i bought a replacement a while back....I was getting too good at welding up the old one.

Made one of them wood grain hammers out of an old ball pein i had floatin around my tool box at work. Will have to replace the broke down fiber glass handle held with duct tape, that tape melts next to hot steel ya know. Used my cut off wheel to make the grooves.

20191003_191218.thumb.jpg.a01dc58f3429a2f2cd17f7e31796b24a.jpg

And of course had to try it out. Sanded this piece of scrap just to bring out the high spots and went ahead and put a little wax on him. Didnt turn out half bad in my opinion.

20191003_191043.thumb.jpg.5fe6c9c78e4cb435022438e50da274ef.jpg

Oh i also tried my weld again, and failed again. Just going to start over. The steel is much to small now.

Edit: Forgot to say thanks for the idea Aus.

Edited by BillyBones

Welded up a set of squaring dies for The Pressciouss:

B72ACB93-71C1-459D-850F-FCF27AD40474.jpeg

They need a little file work, but when finished, they should enable me to make 7/8” square tenons — which just happens to be the size that fits my hardy hole — very easily.