I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

i just made a thread a week back with a picture of me at my forge.  I had a scally cap on and stood off to the side with my dad, brother in law, brother and his fiance.

My brother in law was way more excited and interested than me and he's never picked up a hammer. If you ever offer one day classes, I will totally drive out there for one and probably him too.

• Replies 26.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CGL  Thanks.  its funny you say that.  My hands are swollen today and I'm a little gimpy..  I used to say to the older folks when I was a youngster  that very thing.   Now here I am having it said to me.. LOL..    

My rebuttal..  Ah, shucks the kids grow up so fast today.. Before you know it, them young whippersnappers will be kicking the old lady to the curb.. :) 

Chris your very kind. :)

Well, I got started started late in the game, so I may never acquire the skill level you have. But I'll get to be the best I can be. I hear you on the gimpy thing. I've been in the shop the last two days after about a week pause. My hands aren't feeling great and my feet are fussing at me. I try to get out there more and stay in shape, but things come up a lot. But I'm thankful for whatever time I do get:D

Finished up a ‘blacksmiths helper’ stock stand. 1/2 inch square and a scrap cast iron base from a commercial fireplace set. Topped with a test piece for a sea dragon that’s another WIP. Should have made a monkey tool for the riveted tenon, it might have gone on straighter

01E1791F-51FA-49B3-88E6-FBACDEE7E2B3.thumb.jpeg.739a07b3896c0788afc3213d0c39c361.jpeg

AA98CDA6-EB07-418D-97E8-20D2D49B394D.thumb.jpeg.939ef376ce0edb90fcad2fd813335307.jpeg

More breath taking work Alexandr. How long does a new customer have to wait to get one of your pieces?

Nah Jennifer that wasn't luck, you won fair and square. 

On 9/28/2019 at 12:57 PM, Chris The Curious said:

I'm somewhat fearful the Vaseline will swell the MDF board, making it impossible to insert the straws.   What say you folks?????

Valid concern not knowing. Paint it first. I painted my mold sections and sanded them smooth. 

On 9/27/2019 at 8:34 AM, Ted Ewert said:

Frosty, I think he'd gotten hold of a bottle of Absinthe at the time.

That could do it. I've never tried absinthe but it's kind of scary stuff.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, you must have missed my post where I said I tested it and it only swelled the 15/16" board by .002".............but that I went ahead and coated the surfaces of the mold with Shellac so I'm assured the Vaseline won't soak into the MDF.

Chris

Congratulations Jennifer! You deserve it, you’re an inspiration to us all. I would love the opportunity to take classes from you when you training center is up and running. Unfortunately, I don’t see the happening. Time, distance, and all...

Speaking of inspiration, I was able to light the forge tonight for a short while. (Cut it short when I remembered we are under a burn band!) I heat treated a small hatchet started two weeks ago. Wrought iron with 5160 bit and poll forge weld in/on. (Inspiration form Jennifer’s video of making a wrought iron hammer. I did say you were an inspiration right?)

While I was getting the heat treat setup, also made some scrap. It was supposed to end up as a tomahawk of wrought iron with 5160 bit, but the wrought iron got the best of me and broke when I was making the bends for the face transition before wrapping the eye. I need so much more practice with this material! Hope to have a chance to get the the steelyard soon to buy more forgiving stock. I have a lot of work to get done before a two day demo in three weeks.

Love seeing everyone’s work,

David

7258D642-4963-4286-841A-FC3C727D810F.jpeg

9876A665-FA94-4E31-9C05-890CFFD34385.jpeg

Been a bit busy and just caught up with some of this thread. Great work, all of you … and Jennifer, those ribbons are well deserved!

Forged a couple of hat hooks today. Long 12mm bar, ram one end, longhorn on the other, cut and hook. Saves using tongs all the time. Heads look over the brim of the hat.

hat hooks 1.JPG

Das those letters are top drawer.  I can only imagine how much of a pain in the bum they must have been to get everything so uniform. 

Ausfire, love the hooks, especially the steer one. Did you split and draw the horns out or weld them on after? I can't imagine either way being easy. 

Thanks Dax, takes a bit of hand sanding on a flat surface to get everything flat. Deffinately a learning experience making the letters. Had to add the braces so it wouldn't warp when heated. 

Aus you really have the ram and longhorn heads down. Really nice hooks. 

Ausfire, those critter headed hooks are really gobsmacking.  I'd really like to be able to make those some day.  Would love to watch you create those.  You ought to post an instructional video on the process sometime.

Das, I like your branding irons.  I might just have to try and make one for myself.  WPF for Whispering Pines Forge.  Would be fun to brand stands and things with it.  But I still need to find a welder to do that.

Chris