• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Theater Department lets me use their welder in exchange for my doing a guest lecture on basic fundraising principles for their Theater 240 (Introduction to Arts Management) class. When they know they're not going to need it for a while, they'll even let me take it home until they need it again.

Got the third cross made for my aunts coat rack. They all need a little tweeking and some sander work but most of the forging is done. The nails still need the heads oriented and the same, some tweeking and sanding. I got them laid out on a piece of oak i may use, have a piece of walnut also. Dont knw which i would prefer, but thats a while away. 

20190925_201422.thumb.jpg.aaae313029773e79dcbb6a4a615e57c3.jpg

So that i got some time on. So i wondered what else can i do? rummaging thriugh my scrap i found it. When i first started trying tongs a made some mistakes, this one turned out useful. I mashed the jaws out and made some of those "bottle opener" tongs. I think i owe the inspiration to Jennifer, so thanks for that.  

If you look at the boss you will see where i made my mistake. I even punched them before i realized. But they may just work with a little more tweeking and fidely work. 

20190930_195523.thumb.jpg.db407bdedb080ae718c9feadf79cdd53.jpg

Good Morning Billy,

You didn't make a mistake, you were making tongs to hold the "Inside" of a piecce of Pipe or Tubing. Those pieces should be kept so you can hang them on the "Wall of Learning", look back in 10 years or so and smile!!!!  Or, use them for what you intended for them to work. Perspective, Perspective, Perspective, No Mistakes, just unforseen conclusions!!!

Neil

19 hours ago, Dax Hewitt said:

I thought that would be the case but they look so well finished I can't get my head round how you would get round them on the anvil being so close to the head 

You split the metal and bend them out first. Then fold the head back and shape the nose, add the mouth, nostrils, eyes while the horns are still short and square. The head is then placed nose down over the side of the anvil and the horn is drawn out towards the anvil centre. They are kept square until desired length is achieved and then rounded off gently.

When i forge drive hooks I bend the pointed end a Little past horizontal. I read somewhere that it helps lock the hook down when you hang something from it and I've been doing it that way ever since. I haven't tested between the two but it sounds right to me. Just slightly past perpendicular to the wall or beam it's going to be hung from. I don't have any pics or any hooks left seems like I give them away as soon as I make em. I'll post some pics as soon as I'm allowed to light the forge again.

Pnut

In the process of reorganizing my wood shop (as if it were organized to begin with) to fit a forging station. Winter is just around the corner here. Working in the unheated garage doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

With a little guidance from Jim, I got my pumper forge running correctly. I prefer the dirt forge for actual play time, but it was fun project to make it operational.

I finished a hot chisel and an object that has a vague Calla Lily like shape.

IMG_20191001_153853832.jpg

IMG_20190930_171528763.jpg

IMG_20190930_171432511_HDR.jpg

BillyBones - I experimented with crosses like that a while ago, and I liked the look of making dimples all over with a small ball-pein hammer, then shining them up a little with a cup wire wheel.  Also did some where I thinned out and widened the arms towards the ends and then dimpled/shined them and that looked good, too.  Gave them a little more organic shape and a little more visual interest, I thought.  -- Dave

Dave, i like those ideas. Would be a little more interesting. My aunt is very religious and this is supposed to represent the crucifixion. So i want to keep them as simple as possible.  They do still need some tweaking and maybe i will flare the ends some, but everything can now be done with a torch. 

Aus, i love the Celtic style ones. I have seen the Fredrickscross opened up to make the ring, but these are he first with both. 

I am a sucker for the Celtic Cross. My Rosary has a Celtic Cross on it. My family is from Ireland and i try and celebrate that every night with a couple pints. :D

first try at a laminated blade, file sandwitched between your average lawnmower blade. scored a bunch of them from a buddy, in hindsight i woulda used something else. a bit too thin for only 3 layers me thinks... anyway i hardened well altho there is one small section on the spine that has delaminated a pretty noticable amount while i think is still functional for personal use im highly tempted to scrap it but ill most likely slap a quick handle on it and run it thru some strength tests as ive been wanted to do that. that way i stand to gain some actuall insight on my work

any feedback is welcomed. 

sanmizzle.jpg

sanmizzle2.jpg

15 hours ago, Chris The Curious said:

I especially like the woodgrain concept.  Is that done with a textured hammer head?

Yes. Easy to make. Find an old hammer and make random strokes across the face with a fine cutting wheel or similar. Helps if it's domed a bit.

Clamp the delam In the vise and test the portion in front of it if the delamination is towards the handle. I haven't had much luck with mower blades. I think older ones might be better. I got a few from a repair place up the road from me and I didn't like them much. They were newer though. I found an old push mower. I can't think of what they're called. The kind with no motor. The blades on it sparked like medium/ high carbon.  I think I read newer mower blades are alloyed with boron but don't quote me on that. 

Pnut