I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Alexander, you sir are a true craftsman. I love your work and have to be very careful to not let my Mrs see the screen otherwise I will either have to step up my game by 1000% or commission you to build her stuff. 

Billy is your mouse okay? Seems to be taking a very long time to eat that nut. When we had one living in the house it decimated any food it found. 

• Replies 26.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Between last night and tonight, finished up some different wood brands (pics probably tomorrow) and branded the year and large letters on 140 of these beer sampling paddles. (Forget the name of them atm.) Flight paddle, thats it. I'll say that smaller brands are cake. This big one was a nightmare to heat and use so much.  Funny thing is I had no clue how many boards were getting branded till last night. And a day or two before that I didn't know I was doing them all. Ugh. Deffinately know what you are getting into. Picture is of my practice board that isn't packed away yet. Deffinately not the best. 

Going to go pass out now. :rolleyes:

20191004_012857.thumb.jpg.5e1e75002d52ba4b89fc547e1b96f02f.jpg

At Quad-State last weekend, the smiths from Colonial Williamsburg had a watering can like a teapot on a handle, for spot-cooling a workpiece. I had some 16 ga. sheet, so I decided to weld one up:

09B09803-2502-49D6-845D-D29BA6E0D2F2.jpeg

Needs a little cleanup and shaping of the handle, but I’m pretty happy with it.

With The Pressciouss kitted out with its new motor and pump and a full tank of propane hooked up to the forge, it was time to give it a squeeze. This is an in-progress pair of tongs, workied down from 1/2” x 1-1/2” flat bar entirely by machine: 

B5C06A2C-C240-4FB2-9EC8-F03F11508CC6.jpeg

It’s a learning curve, to be sure, but I’m getting a sense of the possibilities and limitations of the machine. I will definitely be wanting to add a beefier motor and pump at some point in the future, but this will do for now. 

I also converted one of my hardy tools to a leafing stake to match the one used at Quad-State by the smiths from Colonial Williamsburg:

2B7A8820-FA12-4668-AA7E-1D4D235706C0.jpeg

And finished one I’d started from a RR track anchor:

CB449991-970E-4B69-956E-FA01F7501F72.jpeg

And made a bottle opener with a water leaf to try them out:

AFDC84A5-2921-4696-AA6D-CE7AB3A4C386.jpeg