• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 hours ago, GolFisHunt said:

I completed my first set of tongs from scratch today. Butt ugly

Where's the ugly part? Take a close up and mark it clearly or we're going to set our opinions to default. Looks good, very good for a first pair. Pretty don't move metal.

Good job all round Laynne. I have a 6" Indian Chief vise too. The heat shield on your forge will probably need a pass through so you can heat farther from the end of your stock. You'll notice soon enough and I strongly doubt you'll have trouble dealing. Nice heart, well done.

My only issue is how darned neat your shop is, makes me think there's something wrong with one of us. :o

Frosty The Lucky.

On 9/22/2019 at 6:19 PM, Frosty said:

Good job all round Laynne. I have a 6" Indian Chief vise too. The heat shield on your forge will probably need a pass through so you can heat farther from the end of your stock.

Thanks Frosty,

The heat shield isn't attached so it's completely removable if the wind is calm, doesn't happen often in Kansas. I can rotate it to have an eight inch gap to work longer pieces. The vise has 5 1/2 inch jaws with faint serrations, closes evenly. I think it is missing a thrust washer on the movable jaw. It took two weeks of soaking, tapping, and a little torch to get the screw freed up.

Laynne

I appreciate the kind words everyone. I am in no way disappointed with my efforts or the functionality of my tongs. The aesthetics may be a bit lacking, but, as a wise chilly man recently said, "pretty don't move metal".

One tong came out of the forge a bit sparkly on the tip. 

I missed my mark on the rein set down, I think that's the correct term, making the reins and bosses different in lengths, and the bows different in shape.

One rein is a bit more bent than the other.

They do, however, hold the intended stock securely and in line. 

IMG_20190924_181524736.jpg

IMG_20190924_181529952.jpg

23 hours ago, Chris The Curious said:

Now make 100 more and you'll get it down to a science.

I watched a video on here somewhere of a production run of bottle openers being made using a hydraulic press.  It was pretty cool. If I get a minute I'll try to look it up.

Pnut

Nice work everyone, great to see so many people making interesting projects.

A buddy of mine wanted me to make him a campfire poker after his friends showed up at the last camp-out with pokers "made by a real blacksmith". His only requirement was "something twisty in the middle". Sooo... this is what I came up with.

SZ4KKmL.jpg

HQ1IXN3.jpg

I forge welded the head on and pinned the horns through the top so they wouldn't move. I told him that it was patterned after the greater horned roadrunner. Known to inhabit isolated areas of the south west, it is often seen in the company of the famed Jackalope. 

I was in a bar once in Tucson and a gentleman told me of a rare encounter he had with one of these critters. As the story went, the horned Roadrunner was surrounded by a pack of hungry coyotes, circling in for the kill. As they approached, the roadrunner took off like a bullet, went straight under one coyote and sliced him open with them horns like a ripe tomato. The rest of the pack scattered with their tails between their legs.

People may wonder if this story is true or not, but this guy was a full blooded Irishman and swore he only had a drop or two before witnessing the amazing event. So there ya go.

Got this great heavy dolly for free a little while back. And the forge table has been feeling low at 28 inches to the rim. Cut the dolly and welded in some 2 inch angle so it fits under the forge legs and brings the top up to a nice waist high 36 inches. Plumbed and ducted an electric blower for those projects (thick wrought and bloomery iron) the hand crank, and my arm, are not quite up for. Too hot to light a fire and try it out yesterday, but maybe this weekend 

88B4934B-B04C-4861-ACEB-9503653D3C35.jpeg

10E607C4-BE42-4CD1-A02C-4D3173942518.jpeg

AF43BF69-5855-458F-80E0-9823493774F1.jpeg

3 hours ago, Ted Ewert said:

sliced him open with them horns like a ripe tomato.

Maybe he had a dram more than he remembered if he was seeing road runners with horns like a ripe tomato. :blink: Wonder what he was drinking and where I can find some. :)

That is a WICKED COOL poker Ted, I love it.

Frosty The Lucky.