I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Well, today's work in the shop was to finish up my anvil's base and photograph it for the Forum.  Also started working on the form that will be used to cast my ribbon burner.  Hope to get that finished tomorrow so I can pour the castable material around all those straws!  I envision that's going to be a whole lot of fun! :rolleyes:;)

• Replies 26.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Be sure to clay the cast iron pan before firing it up to prevent cracking.

Thanks for the tip, Forge and Clay (I have a friend whose business is Clay & Steel, having started in ceramics and moved to ironwork) Never saw the need to clay this particular firepot, it's a very thick Centaur forge cast iron model, and I"m  not really running really big or days long fires that would justify claying it up.  I did once clay line my old brake drum forge in an attempt to better direct the airflow and fuel burning, but the clay would start to expand and come apart after a half dozen uses.  Ended up cutting and shaping firebrick to get me the firepot shape I needed.

Last year some friends were forging a 5 foot tall, 200 pound anchor from 3x3 square, running 100 pounds of coke a day for a few weeks in a big, heavy railroad forge. They cracked that firepot and the forge table before they were done.  Lead smith on that project said he'd clay the forge next time (after they got it welded back together). The long, soaking heats to get 3 inch square up to working temps, and the amount of fuel they were burning day after day, really took a toll on that cast iron forge.

Well, I don't have the luxury of a CNC mill like DRotblatt, but I drilled all the 1/8" holes and made the casting form for my ribbon burner today.  As I drilled the 385 holes I just kept thinking about how difficult it's going to be to get material down in between all those straws.  :wacko:  DRotblatt managed it, so guess I'll be able to also............but it's definitely intimidating.  I drilled the holes in MDF board and I understand the best mold release is Vaseline.  I'm somewhat fearful the Vaseline will swell the MDF board, making it impossible to insert the straws.   What say you folks?????

Chris

Alexandr great work.  Can I just call you Alex?   really wonderful.  I know i keep saying it but when do you have time to sleep? 

Participated in the Fitchburg forge In today.  

What a great venue. Lots of varied smiths from beginner, intermediate and pro.. 

I was forced to go into the pro category though I only forge once a month or so.  

It was a beautiful summer like day though there was no shade for a few of the other Pros. 

Competition was fierce.  Lots of talented guys in the pro division as well as other aspects of the comp. 

Here are the items I forged. 

20190928_184638.jpg

20190928_184653.jpg

Okay, "the guinea pig" is gettin' back with you.  I mentioned I'd drill the holes (for my straws in the floor of my ribbon burner mold) into MDF material.  Got worried the Vaseline might make it swell too much for the straws to fit in the already tight holes.  Well, I smeared some Vaseline on a known thickness of 15/16" MDF and let it set over 12 hours and put the dial calipers to it.  It only swelled .002" in the 15/16" thickness, so I'm not worried...........nor should you be if you go that route.

Thanks, Les.  I'm not usually that patient.  After assuring myself it probably wouldn't pose a problem.........................(and because I'm so blasted OCD) I put a coat of Shellac on all interior surfaces of the mold as extra protection from the Vaseline.  Hopefully will insert all the straws (while going completely cross-eyed) and pour (I understand that's not actually what happens) the Mizzou refractory for the ribbon burner.  DRotblatt gave me step by step instructions, so I'm not totally freaked out about it.  I'll just make sure I've no interruptions (unplug my shop phone) and try to get into my "zone" and git-er-done.

Chris

37 minutes ago, JW513 said:

You totally stole the show, and there was some other great smiths competing. Great job yesterday.

Also, I envy your setup.

Thanks.  It was challenging for sure.  The time thing kept throwing me.  Some great smiths for sure. I planned on just doing what I normally do with just a tad extra on finish and it paid off.  I'm sure next year will be even more challenging. it might mean actually getting out there and forging on a more regular basis. Of course with the new school opening, the time frames forging will be much shorter. :)

I often wish that there was a way to connect the faces, names and online (instagram, facebook, etc, etc) with in person visits.  I really like to make a whole connection and this helps to remember faces better and the conversations I've had. 

Great turn out from the IFI crowd too. 

it is pretty cool isn't it.  Seeing it in person is different for sure vs just online. 

Anyway I can get you to PM me a face photo and name. this way it will jog the memory and it will stick next time. :)